Did you sand the foam bumper?
looks smooooooothe
Super Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:00 PM   #3587
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by raving-monkey
i wouldn't use it my self.

as it sticks out to the edge of the foam bumper so that cannot compress when you hit the board/pipe etc so it is just going to send a nasty shock down your car, not sure what it will do but you know what i mean

so if you dont use it it will allow ytour foam bumper to compress softening the impact.

just my thoughts
I agree. I had a bumper on mine and every other time I hit something. It was like someone hit the ejection button on my batteries. (I know...don't hit anything!)
Downforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:45 PM   #3588
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rod_b
Where are you guys getting those aluminum servo mount/transponder holders?
square make them but if you are running the micro futuba servo 9550 you will have to dremel the transponder side of the mount so the servo wire exit fits. i have these mounts and had to do this mod. it looks so butchered and "unpro" now

also did anyone else find that they had to dremel the lower bumper plate to fit well? maybe i put too much ca glue on the edges of the chassis!
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:12 PM   #3589
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default Re: Wide bumper?

Quote:
Originally posted by rc_square24
hi there,
why do you need a wide bumper for carpet racing?

like the pics posted with the brp and rpm bumper for the tc3.

Thanks!
All I can say is-mad grip-two 2x4 wood planks screwed together, bolted together to every other board on the track, 6 to 8' lane widths, zero run-off and driving your @$$ off for every tenth of a second = wide bumper for me!!

I think aluminum arms and caster blocks etc. will transfer damage further onto other parts, but in 5 years of racing electric and nitro on road-I have never seen a bumper take out the chassis or other componenets in the car.

I woud run the stock bumper on a permanent asphalt track wih no barriers like I see in Europe and Japan. Running into grass i am sure wont hurt any car!!

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:15 PM   #3590
Tech Champion

Default Pic of typical Indoor carpet track in Midwest

Heres a pic at the Gate where the Carpet Nationals just occured.

The boards are bolted end to end. Hit one board usually wont break the car-its when you glance off one and hit the next one full speed at about a 30 degree angle-bye-bye caster block, spindle and or arm and hingepin!! hehehehe!!
Old 04-15-2004, 09:20 PM   #3591
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Is it just me or is the Pro4 a sinking ship,I have read/seen alot of racers getting rid of their Pro4's..at a big loss. Does HPI have any plans on addressing the tweak and weak one way design ? I have not had any problems with tweak but I have had a problem with the ring and pinion gears,I do like my Pro4 but I do have a fear that HPI will drop this car if it stops selling and with the rep this car is getting it will be a hard sell in no time at all.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:24 PM   #3592
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Its no different than any other new touring car. It has a few problems. A few of the other top cars had gear problems. The TC3 did, the Surikarn EVO series does, and Yoke SD did so the HPI Pro4 is no different. HPI will address the problem. Also cars lose a ton of money after you buy them. I see the Yoke SD's taking a beating when they are sold used. TC3's are almost given away. I don't see much differance with the Pro4.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:26 PM   #3593
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxkat
Is it just me or is the Pro4 a sinking ship,I have read/seen alot of racers getting rid of their Pro4's..at a big loss. Does HPI have any plans on addressing the tweak and weak one way design ? I have not had any problems with tweak but I have had a problem with the ring and pinion gears,I do like my Pro4 but I do have a fear that HPI will drop this car if it stops selling and with the rep this car is getting it will be a hard sell in no time at all.
xxxkat - check out PRP's gear brace. When it's ready, it'd definately worth it, imho. I've been running it for a couple weeks now with no gear problems, and plenty of "oh shoot" hits.

I also havent had a tweak problem either, so I'm not worried...
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:31 PM   #3594
Tech Regular

You always have the same crowd of racers that change cars every month. Looking for that "Magical" car that will take them to the front. So all they do is .This car was very well thought out. Every car will have it's issues. That's Racing!!!
Downforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:36 PM   #3595
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxkat
Where did you come to this conclusion from? The tweak problem??? I havent had any issues with this if the car is not tweaking out 95% of the time its the way it was put together....whos fault is that? The 1way problem....name a car out there that doesnt have issues with a 1way....TC3 you break dog bones or the unit....XXXS they blow bearings out....HPI & Tamiya you break gears.....every car out there has issues with 1 ways....its the nature of 1 ways. I cant see them droping this car that fast look at how long the Pro3 was around....and lets not talk about that car
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:58 PM   #3596
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Downforce
You always have the same crowd of racers that change cars every month. Looking for that "Magical" car that will take them to the front. So all they do is .This car was very well thought out. Every car will have it's issues. That's Racing!!!
I'm definately staying out of this one but, I agree, people do switch brands often and everytime they do, it's the best car ever. Check out the barracuda thread where you have people that bought 3 or 4 kits, say they're the best thing since sliced bread and then sell them off, go a different route, sell that, etc, etc. It keeps the competition interesting and trash talk is definately part of the game when the cars are all proven winners.

That said, HPI has a winner on their hands and the pro 4 i saw last weekend did an excellent job with no big issues.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:02 PM   #3597
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Doug Gaut

Hey, I know of two locals that would be glad to buy a Pro4 at a reduced rate!! If you know of somebody, hollar!!!!
Doug Gaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:14 PM   #3598
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I know someone that has one for $200,in good condition.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:16 PM   #3599
Tech Elite

Default Building the Pro-4

Guys;

Today I had time to work on the Tweaking problem that I've been having.
It took a new Upper Deck and some Hand fitting of the Gearbox cases to make the Chassis sit flat enough for my satisfaction.

Hopefully with that problem solved, I can finish this Car and have it ready to race for next weekend.

Thanks for everyones help,
Steven
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:16 PM   #3600
Tech Champion

Well-all I can say is I once wrote down everything I would change on the Tc3 to make it a Tc4 and I'll be darned if HPI didnt do 90% of the things on the list!!

This is one HUGE reason why bought a Tamiya EvoIII last year, but for the life of me-I couldnt get any rip out of that car. I changed motors, batts, Speed controls.... Rollout chnaged every run-no RIP!! TOp speed wasnt anythng to speak of. Now this Pro4 comes along and again i see what looks like a TC3-but better.

Well-this ones got rip off the corners and top speed galore. I think its got a lot of potential and its build quality is as good as a Xray.

Will I be driving it still in November?-I dont know!!! But I wont abandon it without giving it a lot of time or a crown gear that needs to be boiled or diffs that build better with TC3 springs in it. I can live with ALL of that.