R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-28-2004, 05:31 PM   #2821
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Kew - I'm running a slightly different brush cut, with purple and silver brushes. I've been running it for a while now, and now that I have the track's points series wrapped up before the last race, im going to play with motors a little more.

Steve - the Epic is quad magnet, and the arm has a few less laminations than the monster. Similar, but not exact.

STLNLST - I've only not finished a run once, and that was due to my battery tape breaking. I know that HPI is trying some things for the gears, and PRP is coming out with a gear brace that I hope to run that should solve the problem. I think this is just a minor issue for what will prove to be a great car.

The car is fast, handles well, and yes there is the gear problem, but for the most part it takes a pretty good lick to buzz them. It's fine to have your doubts, but once the gears are tweaked - can you say "DIALED?"

The Mi2 looks like a good car to, and wouldn't mind trying one, but after buying two pro4's, I don't think it's going to happen. I'm not cuttin down any of the other cars, but in my case, I am definately faster with the Pro4 than I ever was with the XXX-S. I proved it to myself back at the triple crown race @ trackside. I was running 8th with the XXX-S, driving balls to the wall trying to put down a decent time during the first two heats. The third heat, the battery tape broke on my Pro4 while on my fastest run of the weekend. The fourth run, taking it easy I was 6'th. Good enough for me
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 06:13 PM   #2822
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Super Steve

i mean the Roar legal epic Stockers...

If you use the epic 4 magnet motor stock motor in stock class than it's not ment to be!
Super Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 08:14 PM   #2823
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that we got in some more Pro 4 parts. Sadly no gears yet.

Kraig
KT Hobbies

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 08:52 PM   #2824
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by STLNLST
I hear what you're saying but you more than others on this thread know what type of guys we have at our track (you met some when we came down to your track) and if these guys can't finish a race due to gear problems then why would I even think about picking up one?
STLNST,

To be perfectly honest, I've had NO gear problems (knocking on wood) with the car. I've crashed the car, and the only thing I've broken was a rear ball stud.

Why these racers cannot finish a race is a good question. Did they bathe the gears properly? Was it shimmed properly? Did they break-in the gears, or throw the car down and run? How did they strip their gears out? In a crash? Or after rolling and then hitting the throttle as the wheels landed onto the ground? I mean, there are millions of reasons as to why they stripped their gears.

Personally, I think the whole gear stripping issue is to a degree being blown out of proportion. Competitive shaft drive cars have historically been a vehicle that has required more care and attention to the gears. For that reason alone, many at my track seem to be switching to Xray and Losi's.

Should you get the car? Well, that's ulitmately up to you, but ask anyone here, and they will tell you that the car's handling is worlds better than most on the market today.

Buddha
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 09:18 PM   #2825
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Just ran my PRO4 for the first time today and I must admit the car is extremely fast and very easy to drive. No problems finished four qualifiers and the main. Got compliments from others about how good the car looked and how free the drivetrain is right out of the box.

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:21 PM   #2826
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes the gears are a problem but not that much of a problem. I admit that I have broken gears but only because of some pretty bad crashes and the other pro 4's at my track were for the same reason. When you hit something hard things on a car tend to brake. Now this past Sat I did hit a board hard and the gears didnt brake an arm did. Yes Hpi needs to address the problem and from the e-mail responce I recieved from them a couple of weeks ago they are so there is really nothing to worry about. And dont worry about other people coming on this thread complaning about a car they dont even run and tring to promote there car. When Slnlst had his ALL MIGHT MI2 his first weekend his car was a PIECE OF CRAP! A quote straight form his mouth, and he was ready for his Losi after one day. Oh and before you say it slnlst yes you car was dialed sat but it wasent in your hands and you didnt put the setup on it so Sat didnt count
BN Racing
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:25 PM   #2827
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by RCBuddha
STLNST,

To be perfectly honest, I've had NO gear problems (knocking on wood) with the car. I've crashed the car, and the only thing I've broken was a rear ball stud.

Why these racers cannot finish a race is a good question. Did they bathe the gears properly? Was it shimmed properly? Did they break-in the gears, or throw the car down and run? How did they strip their gears out? In a crash? Or after rolling and then hitting the throttle as the wheels landed onto the ground? I mean, there are millions of reasons as to why they stripped their gears.

Personally, I think the whole gear stripping issue is to a degree being blown out of proportion. Competitive shaft drive cars have historically been a vehicle that has required more care and attention to the gears. For that reason alone, many at my track seem to be switching to Xray and Losi's.

Should you get the car? Well, that's ulitmately up to you, but ask anyone here, and they will tell you that the car's handling is worlds better than most on the market today.

Buddha
every question that you have has already been done by these driver's and until it starts happening to you I guess it will be considered blown out of proportion. The TC3 never had gear problems that we have seen from the Tamiya EvoIII and the pro4.
It looks to be a great handling car until a hit. Good luck with yours.....while I watch the guys here struggle.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:30 PM   #2828
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdog
Yes the gears are a problem but not that much of a problem. I admit that I have broken gears but only because of some pretty bad crashes and the other pro 4's at my track were for the same reason. When you hit something hard things on a car tend to brake. Now this past Sat I did hit a board hard and the gears didnt brake an arm did. Yes Hpi needs to address the problem and from the e-mail responce I recieved from them a couple of weeks ago they are so there is really nothing to worry about. And dont worry about other people coming on this thread complaning about a car they dont even run and tring to promote there car. When Slnlst had his ALL MIGHT MI2 his first weekend his car was a PIECE OF CRAP! A quote straight form his mouth, and he was ready for his Losi after one day. Oh and before you say it slnlst yes you car was dialed sat but it wasent in your hands and you didnt put the setup on it so Sat didnt count
I stuck with my car instead of jumping ship...corally boy The car stayed together that weekend. Weren't you the one talking about putting the car down due to the gear problem?????????????? See ya next weekend .......
Old 03-29-2004, 12:11 AM   #2829
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For all of those HPI fans, I did truly goto the race with the intention of running the Pro4. Unfortunately NORGATE (host to this event) had open practice for Wed. and Thurs. on the flyer. So I was expecting to get a full day of open practice to dial the car in on Thursday because coming Wednesday would be almost useless because the track would be green. Well I arrive at the track to find that it is all Controlled Practice. This allowed me to get 5 packs of practice when I was planning on getting at least 10 to figure out the Pro4 for high bite traction that is only found at national size races (I had a good base setup for racing on club level traction, but national is different).

3 of those practice packs were done on the Pro4 but on the 3rd pack I wasted the front-end driving full wood into a corner (totally my fault) and the car was not close to being ready for a national level pro race and I was only going to get 1 more pack in for practice. So I pulled out the ole TC3 and actually was able to get 2 packs of practice with it.

It is just so tough to run a new car at a big race by yourself and only a few packs to get it strapped. Since I was there on my own buck, I had to do what was best for me. I do feel the car could have been set to handle the conditions within 10 packs or so.

I did get to run the new BMI 3mm chassis and upper-deck on the car and other than it just looking beautiful, it totally cured the tweaking issue I had on carpet. It is rock solid and worth any penny when it is released.

AE | Reedy | KO | Tekin | Powermaster | Avid | Upgrade | BCE | Paint by Smiley
David Joor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:16 AM   #2830
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

FYI - You have to remember that Atsushi is all HPI has as a team other than their engineers. I don't know for a fact but I have a feeling that Atsushi is still fufilling contracts that he has overseas so he can not race every race over here currently.

I do hope that HPI will consider making a US team, they have never had a team here until Atsushi.

AE | Reedy | KO | Tekin | Powermaster | Avid | Upgrade | BCE | Paint by Smiley
David Joor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:22 AM   #2831
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Wow! STLNLST--------PREACH!

Hey Bigdog.....Had to sell mine.Awsome and smooth like silk.Man the box stock setup is so good it required little variation from the box to get it railed.BUT............

Problem:whether you admit it or not,the front oneway gear situation sucks BIGTIME!They dropped the ball when it came to the design.They should have payed close attention to the evo3 problems which were widely known.If I were you I would get the oneway built by the guy in germany.He built it like a tc3/yokomo oneway.Its a tank!But it really helped a bunch of guys with thier evo3's.Now they can run their evo3's without worry.The Penguin rc backing plate should also help.If Hpi "fixes" the situation,then I will revisit the car.Its awsome except for the gears.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:28 AM   #2832
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Lengthy....

Quote:
Originally posted by STLNLST
every question that you have has already been done by these driver's
Well, if they DID do everything properly, the likely hood of ALL of them stripping gears should be a lot lower. It sucks to hear that they have been having problems, I'm just curious as to what circumstances they stripped their gears. Since I don't know the racers in your "area" and don't know what kind of drivers they are; I can only offer my best guesses as to why they are stripping gears....

Quote:
...and until it starts happening to you I guess it will be considered blown out of proportion.
The fact is: It HASN'T happened to me. I've been racing the Pro 4 as hard as any other car I've owned. The reason I said that I think things are being blown out of proportion is because the internet is full of people who like to make comments like: "Oh, well I heard it strips gears....: or "its arms break easily...". These comments are often second hand, and never from that person's personal experience running the car themselves.

Yes, the Pro4 can strip gears, but so can EVERY other shaft driven car on the market. Remember, this car is NEW....and like every other car on the market, it is going through its initial "teething" (no pun intended) issues. People are figuring the car out, and within a few weeks/months, solutions should appear to any problems/issues the car has.

Quote:
The TC3 never had gear problems that we have seen from the Tamiya EvoIII and the pro4.
Your right, the TC3 doesn't have the same gear problem....it has bent front cvd's, broken arms, bent drive shafts, stripped spurs....etc.....just to name a few. And yes, this IS from my personal experiences with the car.

Quote:
It looks to be a great handling car until a hit. Good luck with yours.....while I watch the guys here struggle.
Well, good luck to you and your Shumacher....perhaps you need to be focusing on your car and not other peoples....

Back to your original questions/comments:

Quote:
I'm curious to know how or why some think that Losi and AE don't have an edge over the pro4?
I think the Pro4 is better balanced, is more adjustable, requires less hand fitting, and is a much lighter car OUT OF THE BOX. Now, I'm sure Losi and AE are working on new stuff, its in their nature to do so. However, till either brings something new out, I think the Pro 4 is a better car over both Losi and AE.

Quote:
The front oneway problem is something that HPI needs to address quickly.
Your absolutely correct and Eric S has already said that they are addressing the issue. I'm sure they'll release an updated gear in due time.

Buddha

Last edited by RCBuddha; 03-29-2004 at 12:38 AM.
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:35 AM   #2833
Tech Elite

Reminder: The best car is the car you currently own. That is all.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:20 AM   #2834
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Proteus

Look what I found while shopping here in Japan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pro4 2.jpg (142.7 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by Proteus; 03-29-2004 at 02:40 AM.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:39 AM   #2835
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Proteus

more things
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pro4 1.jpg (144.6 KB, 225 views)
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote