Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Tech Initiate

They have been testing a shaft car for quite some time ago. I think the chief designer is an American and not Japanese.

Guys, how many ways to make a shaft car anyway? You can either put it left or right. But the car looks very wide though? Maybe that is just something wrong with my eyes.

Another thing that I want, dull graphite chassis instead of shiny one. Look at SD Black Edition.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

KR: Wouldn't be an ex-Tamiya designer going by the name of Miura by any chance, would it?
Old 08-13-2003, 02:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

DOTMAN: gotta agree with you. from the pics the chassis does look quite thin. i hope thats just an illusion though and that it is actually thicker (3-4mm at least). otherwise the car looks good. if it performs well and we get good feedback about it on this thread, i just might pick one up. for now im hapyy with my xxxs.

KR: dull graphite appeals to me as well. Much like the type Kai uses for their aftermarket stuff. thatwould be sweet!
Old 08-13-2003, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: yes i have

Originally posted by watsrags
I have spoken to the local hobby shop they tell me that they can't get the spares forom the importet
The importer recommended that I get parts from LHS
WHAT A MERRY GO ROUND
SHAME SHAME SHAME HPI
Same here in Europe. I've asked earlier in this thread, but didnt get any answers.

Status is that the former HPI fans around here have given up on HPI. Including myself.

Hmmm, seems to be time for a new avatar
Old 08-13-2003, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by ROBORAT
DOTMAN: gotta agree with you. from the pics the chassis does look quite thin. i hope thats just an illusion though and that it is actually thicker (3-4mm at least). otherwise the car looks good. if it performs well and we get good feedback about it on this thread, i just might pick one up. for now im hapyy with my xxxs.

I believe the production chassis is around 2.5mm or less... a thicker chassis would make the car too stiff and undrivable for outdoor racing. Hara did extensive testing on various chassis thickeness and what worked best was a thinner chassis. THe YOK SD is 3mm. why do you think Masami removed the middle chassis brace during the '03 Reedy race? to add more flex to the car......
I'm sure HPI or HB will offer a thicker chassis as an option.

KR... veecee is correct....ex-Tamiya desinger Miura help develope the Pro4.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Speed Demon
Yupp..... I think it's up to the website guys to update their pages.. HPI USA is a bit slow on updating their pages.. look at their official HPI forum.... what do you see???
This is not an offence just oppinion...
Maybe you haven't noticed the 2 continual days of updates about the R40 winning the biggest fuel sedan race in the USA?
Old 08-13-2003, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

rc-zombies - Do you really think if they had a stiffer chassis the car would be undrivable outdoors??? Wouldn't a stiffer chassis just make the suspension work more instead of the chassis??? I understand that a lot of sedan racing is done outdoor on asphalt, which might suggest why HPI has gone with a chassis thickness of 2.5 or so. On the other hand having a chassis this thin will not work for carpet racing (high grip situations) and thus will turn people like myself off from getting one.

Question, why would HPI not develop a car with a chassis stiff enough for indoor carpet as well as outdoor asphalt??? Example....TC3.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Every Japanese car/driver wants to make the chassis flex in lower traction conditions. The 2 American companies believe in a stiff chassis and letting the suspension work. It's just a design philosophy. Personally i like the high stiffness chassis better, but I mostly race carpet.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Wow HPI sure looks like they are getting more serious about racing. Unlike their old adage "they are just fun cars". The car does look like it may be a little weak however.

The R40 has done quite well so far, but I want to see it in the hands of the punters not somebody like Hara.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up Chassis stiffness

Originally posted by robk
Every Japanese car/driver wants to make the chassis flex in lower traction conditions. The 2 American companies believe in a stiff chassis and letting the suspension work. It's just a design philosophy. Personally i like the high stiffness chassis better, but I mostly race carpet.
I am of the opinion that Chassis flex is Undesirable in most situations (look at the Pro-3). Flex will make the Car easier to drive, but it usually will be slower in the corners for the average driver.
My vote goes for a Stiff Chassis assembly and let the suspension do the work.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:20 PM
Tech Initiate

It really depends on which materials that they are going to plan to use.

Recently, I try to twist a 2.5mm thick chassis plate of OVA T4 NEO. It feels a lot stiffer than most of the 3mm chassis cars like SD and EVO 3.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

I wouldn't worry about the chassis stiffness of the car guys. The thing is as solid as anything out there and even now it's still in prototype stage; as the web page says "specifications are subject to change". Even the pictures of the "real" car you see are not the final product. Honestly, if most club-level drivers did a blind back-to-back test of a 2mm, 2.5mm or 3mm chassis, probably 95% of drivers wouldn't be able to tell the difference on the track. So let Hara and Thad take care of the testing and we'll let you know what they come back with.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Ok, this is from the HPI website:

The RS4 Pro 4 is an all-new designed professional 1/10th electric racing Touring Car from HPI. With over 2 years research and development under it's belt, every area on the car has been extensively tested and race proven before it's launch.

The Pro 4 was designed with an all-new shaft drive drivetrain, optimised suspension set up, twin deck C/F chassis and perfected ackerman steering geometry for all types of track layout's and racing conditions. The most noticeable change is to the drive-train which utilises a highly efficient shaft-drive 4wd transmission. Back-to-back track testing revealed the benefits of low maintenance & fast acceleration that a shaft drive transmission offers. The RS4 Pro 4 will be a self-assembly kit form with key items like the radio, ESC, body and tyres left to the choice of the driver. The Pro 4 uses the highest quality materials & will have an amazing specification to make it a force at the highest level of competition.

Purple Anodised Aluminium Motor Mount & Lightweight Driveshaft

Our HPI Team Drivers will be racing the Pro 4 at all major touring car races as soon as the car is available - ensuring trackside factory support, Team Set-up's and the essential, continued development of the platform to keep the Pro 4 at the top of the winning circle.

Lowest Centre of Gravity in Class

Main Features:

Woven Graphite Main Chassis

Woven Graphite Upper Deck

Woven Graphite Shock Towers

Woven Graphite Steering Plate

Purple Titanium Turnbuckles

MIP CVD's

Carbon Plastic: Arms, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Steering Blocks, and Gearboxes

Carbide Ball Differential

Front One-way

Aluminum Threaded Shocks with Bladders

Aluminum Main Drive Shaft

Aluminum Motor Mount

Aluminum Spur Gear Adapter

Aluminum Hex Clamp Hubs w/ adjustable Track (Width)

Efficient 64 Pitch Spur and Pinion Gears

Socket (Hex) Screws and Fasteners used throughout chassis

Pre-cut Urethane Foam Bumper

Drive Ratio: 2.4375

High Quality Ball Bearings used throughout (24)

Overall Lightweight Chassis for Best Performance

General Features:

Top to bottom mounting of gearbox for precise alignment and mesh of gears

Carbon Plastics used to increase rigidity and reduce component weight for better chassis response and tuning

Adjustable, variable Ackerman steering geometry to increase steering feel and increase corner speed

Completely ball raced steering assembly for smooth steering with reduced play

Crank integrated servo saver with adjustable tension

Included ride height and droop gauge for accurate suspension adjustment.

Pivot Ball Block adjustments to maintain suspension precision and to reduce mis-alignment of the suspension pins.

3mm inboard suspension shafts for strength and 2.5mm outboard shafts for reduced weight and improved wheel clearance

Set screws used to retain outboard suspension shafts for easier maintenance

Overall lightweight chassis for best performance and adjustable ballast positioning with optional ballast weights.

Low center of gravity and centralized weight for improved cornering power and overall responsiveness.

Reduced unsprung weight for increased response and improved control.

Ultra Stiff Carbon Fibre Chassis Components

Precision Mounted Gearbox Moulding

Carbon Shock Towers & Threaded Aluminium Shocks

Rear Inboard Suspension Mounts & Anti-roll Bar

Purple Anodised Aluminium Motor Mount & Lightweight Driveshaft

Copyright HPI
Old 08-14-2003, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

What's the estimated price??
Old 08-14-2003, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by puma1824
What's the estimated price??
Greg Hill from HPI Europe said 299 pounds which would be around $480 in the states.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.