R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-20-2004, 10:05 PM   #1621
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to lazyboy

oh yea troys never have the comfort of a shaft before only the belt, so how smooth is the drivetrain on your car troy(seconds of spin)??? im curious??
Trackside hobbies
lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:09 PM   #1622
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Preston - It's to early to tell, but I would bet it spins just like a TC3.

I can already say it outspins my losi with the super-thin lube. ( I only run the super-thin for the novak anymore, and thin for weekly racing. ) This is with the stock bearing grease too, on a fresh unbroken-in drivetrain.

Everything thus far has fit perfect, no need to hand fit anything, no reaming, no sanding. I am impressed, and can't wait to take it to the track.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:18 PM   #1623
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

you dont clean the grease out of the bearings?
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:23 PM   #1624
RCTech Member #2

Quote:
Originally posted by weaponx
I haven't yet on the Pro4. I may after I get it built depending on how happy I am with the free-ness of the car. I may run it tuesday with the bearings as-is. The drag added by bearing grease can't be any worse than a belt car. I'm more concerned with the setup at this point, and they aren't bad at all for still having the stock lube in them.

On my losi, I run either Team1 thin (mobil 1?) , or Team1 Super Thin ( blue stuff ). It's probably the free-est losi at trackside. It's as free as it can get without aftermarket bearings and that new belt system.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:33 PM   #1625
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by weaponx
i believe pro4 bearings come with grease removed already
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:42 PM   #1626
RCTech Member #2

Quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
i believe pro4 bearings come with grease removed already
Nah, I think it's just a lighter grease. I haven't cracked a seal off of any of the bearings yet, but they definately have something in them.
RCTech Member #2

Old 02-20-2004, 10:49 PM   #1627
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

All but the sway bars and shocks are done. The fit and finish of this car is second to none. I was waiting for the drivetrain to bind up when I installed the bulkheads. And was floored when it didn't. It still spun as free as it did without the bulkeds tightned. HPI really has stepped up to the plate with this one.

Derek
Downforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:52 PM   #1628
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Proteus

Quote:
Originally posted by TSR6
Preston - It's to early to tell, but I would bet it spins just like a TC3.

I can already say it outspins my losi with the super-thin lube. ( I only run the super-thin for the novak anymore, and thin for weekly racing. ) This is with the stock bearing grease too, on a fresh unbroken-in drivetrain.

Everything thus far has fit perfect, no need to hand fit anything, no reaming, no sanding. I am impressed, and can't wait to take it to the track.
I got my kit from ultimate last week. It took me about two day to build it including painting the body. My thoughts so far is that I'm impressed. I had the RS4 Pro, then the Pro2, skipped the Pro3 and went to the losi. The material is much different than the previous generations. Trust me, my hand has the blisters to prove it. Instructions were just a tad off. As for shimming, I had to shim the front castor blocks and the sway bar ball cups were binding which I fixed with a little help of some sandpaper.
For those of you running the rear bottom shock mount position in the position closest to the wheel, be careful, especially if your wheel is slightly bent. It's a close fit and with a bent wheel, or even slightly wider wheels you may have some rubbing problems.
I was very impressed with the bearings. Before I even assembled the car, I spun the bearings and was quite surprised to see how free they were. I decided to take the bearings apart to de-grease and oil them. To my surprise, the bearings were not greased like in previous kits, but were oiled. Nonetheless, I cleaned them out and applied my secret "juice".
When assembling the axle assembly, pick up some extra shims for the axle. I had to use about three to take the play out. Another point to address is that when tightening down the top brace be sure to do so on a flat surface. When I tried to do it on my lap, I found the chassis a bit tweaked. Oh, and did any of you have a problem shoving in the body clips into the body posts....did they seem pretty tight or what?
Another idea I came up with when I pick up some more shims for the pivot blocks is to slot the shims, that way you can just slide the shims in and out with having to back the screw all the way out.
There's nothing else that I can think of right now. My car has been ready to go for the last three days. Can't wait to get to socal tomorrow for it's maiden voyage. I am however bringing the XXXs as a back up since there are no spares out yet.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:04 PM   #1629
RCTech Member #2

Thats cool that they are oiled, not greased. I figured they would just have a really thin grease in them. The bearings just aren't as free as my Losi bearings, but I guess I also have to take into consideration on how broken in the losi bearings are, and I probably do use a thinner oil either way.

I am also surprised at the material that the car is made out of. Gary was telling me that building the car was worse than building a losi graphite car ( as far as gettings screws in ) - and I can say the same. It was definately tough to get some of them in, the material is stiff!
RCTech Member #2

Old 02-20-2004, 11:16 PM   #1630
Tech Regular

Lube the screws going into the bulkheads and they go right in.
Downforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:16 PM   #1631
Tech Addict

How much is this kit?
TowerHobbies is selling it for 445$!!!!
Anyone get it at a good price?
Techart27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:29 PM   #1632
Tech Master

kt hobbies for like 289 i think but its only a pre-order
Trackside hobbies
Old 02-20-2004, 11:30 PM   #1633
RCTech Member #2

downforce - i did that after busting my arm putting the first few in.

Techart - I paid about $300 at the hobbyshop for mine.
RCTech Member #2

Old 02-20-2004, 11:34 PM   #1634
Tech Master

troy your gonna talk my mom into getting me this like u always do on tuesday for food money hehe
Trackside hobbies
Old 02-21-2004, 12:52 AM   #1635
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default price

ultimate hobbies sell it at $284
tony q is offline   Reply With Quote