Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-02-2009, 01:54 AM   #15556
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit-racer View Post
Anyone know?
what type of track? Medium to large sized outdoor tracks you want a target FDR of around 3.5 and adjust gearing according to track from there. If all else fails, ask the fast guys with 17.5s what their FDR is and match it to that.

to achieve 3.52 FDR you need a 78t spur and a 54t pinion (all 64p of course).
your internal drive ratio is 2.4375

FDR is
(spur/pinion) x Internal Drive Ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheruat View Post
hey everyone. well i have a pretty stupid question but here it goes. ive had my pro4 for awhile but havent play'd with it in a while. been messing around with my Avid lately. the question is im going through the gear box's and making sure everything is koo but noticed that the gear box fills not really tight but kinda snug filling! is that the way it fills compared to a belt driven car. cause the belt is so dam smooth. Thx for the help in advance.
Put it all back together, if theres a motor in it then take the pinion off and do the same with the Avid, then roll it down a hallway. If the Pro4 rolls freely and further than the Avid then its fine. If the Avid rolls further, theres something wrong with the pro4 because shaft drive cars simply roll free-er and further than any belt drive car. At that point check your bearings and diff condition.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #15557
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Syber Serulean- Thx for the reply. Yah i couldnt remember if the car was really smooth or felt a little tight. Thx for clearing it up for me. Forgot to mention that i have a front spool in front and rear( dont know if that makes a difference) i use this car for drifting right now and the Avid for grip.
wheruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #15558
Tech Adept

Check your all your gear meshing and that you're shimmed correctly. Your diffs(or one-way or spool) should not have any side to side(left to right) play at all(in the gear housing, and also should not bind. And your diff and shaft gears should be meshed correctly.

This is the way I do it.

-Shim the diff so that no play is had left or right and that the diff spins freely.

-Then with the front and rear input shafts fully assembled, mount them tot he diff housing. Check that the bevel gears are not binding with one another or that there's too much play. Move shims from one side to the other to loosen or tighten the bevel gear mesh.

The way I do it(and the way I was told) was to have the slightest play in the mesh as possible without touching one another. So for me, I shim the gears to the point where they're touching, and then move one shim to the other side allowing the tiniest gap between the gears.

So far, this has worked perfectly for me, since I've started doing it.

Note: If you don't have the shims to do this properly. GET THEM. When its shimmed correctly it makes a world of difference.
RC-DriftNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #15559
Tech Adept

RC-DriftNewb- Koo thx for the info do you guys apply alot of grease on the bevel gear and input gear?? thx i think alot of the snug feel is all the grease i put on the bevel gear.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #15560
Tech Adept

I cant speak for others but I don't put any grease at all on the gears. I run them dry.

If you're not sure if its the grease. Take off the input shafts so only the diffs are in the gear housing. And then give them a spin(make sure the bearings are fully seated). If they want to stop right away, you've got too many shims in, or one of your bearings are bad. Fix whatever is needed. Then work on shimming your bevel gears correctly.

I was also told, not to run grease on them. If ANYTHING, just a few drops of light oil. Even that isn't needed. I've been running mine dry for awhile and never had a single problem.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #15561
Tech Adept

RC-DriftNewb- koo thx for the help well i guess i got some stuff to do tonite. where you guys drift? been going out to best buy and drifting with Wes and them guys lately!! thx again
Old 03-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #15562
Tech Adept

I originally got into this to drift. But it turns out NO ONE does it where I am. lol But then I got sucked into racing and haven't looked back.

Also be sure, since you're running a spool, that its(the gear) screwed in flush. Otherwise the gears will bind then be loose, bind, then loose, as they spin.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #15563
Tech Adept

RC-DriftNewb- Koo thx for help. where do you guys race i want to race the Avid since parts arent that hard to find. was gonna use the Pro4 to drift since not so much wear and tear on the car.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #15564
Tech Adept

The pro4 is pretty easy to find parts for. At least the ones you break. If your local hobby shops stock Hot Bodies Cyclone parts, then you can use those on your pro4. The arms, knuckles, carriers, hinge pins, and a lot of other stuff are interchangeable.

How do you like the avid?

No website for the track I race at. But its an indoor carpet. Winter series is about over.

If you're trying to find some local tracks by you, just ask the people at your hobby shops. They'll definitely know.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #15565
Tech Adept

Yah the parts for the Pro4 arent that bad i have alot of spares. The Avid is really nice smooth but having some problems with the spool chattering alot in the mid-shaft area but otherwise the car is good. The one thing that i like is that it comes with all the hopups already dont really need to by all the extra parts for it. Havent really taken it out to the track yet just been messing around with it with some guys that go to the local Best Buy in my area. Hopefully soon i can start taking it to the track soooooon.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #15566
Tech Adept

RC-DriftNewb / Syber Serulean - well took it all apart and found 2 bearings trashed and re-shimed everything and took out all the grease and it is smooth smooth smooth. Thx guys for your help
Old 03-03-2009, 12:36 AM   #15567
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

np man anytime
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #15568
Tech Adept

Same here. No problem at all. If I can help i will. Still learning myself from the pro4(tc in general) master.

You should take that pro4 out to race sometime. See how you like it. Just be sure to set everything up accord to the hara setup in the back, then go from there. I learned that one the hard way!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #15569
Tech Adept

RC-DriftNewb- koo yah i just downloaded the Hara Manual so ill set this bad boy up and see what we can do. Thx again for all your guys help Now i can really see whats better the Avid or Pro4....lol
Old 03-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #15570
Tech Adept

I'm not sure if the pro4 hara manual has a different setup sheet than the pro4 manual. But I'm running the hara setup in the back of the pro4 manual except I'm using a diff in the front instead of a one way. I found the one way really ate up the gears and the ball diff doesn't.

With running ball diffs. Use a little locktite on the screw to keep it from backing out. also, I tend to run the rear diff a quarter to half a turn tighter than I do the front because the rear seems to want to loosen up more than the front. But that's just my experience.