Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Max amps Lipos

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Max amps Lipos

I have found a saddle pack LIPO, made by Maxamps. Now I have not heard of this company until today when I found the saddle pack. Anyone here using them? What has been your experience? I want a saddle pack for weight distribution.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

maxamps have been around for a while now.
good company.
I have bought a few lipos from them recently great quality
Old 09-26-2007, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

MaxAmps are great batteries, just make sure you balance everytime you charge it with a good balancer. I use the Thunder Power TP205 balancer with my 8000 mah MaxAmps.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I third that, great batteries. I disagree about balancing everytime, i find it to be a bit unneccessary; but to each his own. I have been running their packs for over a year and a half and have NEVER balanced one....minimum run time achieved 25 minutes. But, like I said, to each his own.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well thanks for the info, I will have to see if my club will let me use them now.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charley
Well thanks for the info, I will have to see if my club will let me use them now.
If you feel you need some more info just search the electric forum for more info. There are several threads concerning MaxAmps batteries. Also I believe they have a thread in the company forums if you'd like to ask them some questions.

I have a couple MaxAmps 6000's and I think you should make sure they are balanced. However like bxpitbull my packs have NEVER been out of balance. I do check them but they have been balanced every time. One I've had for about a year.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
I third that, great batteries. I disagree about balancing everytime, i find it to be a bit unneccessary; but to each his own. I have been running their packs for over a year and a half and have NEVER balanced one....minimum run time achieved 25 minutes. But, like I said, to each his own.
Please do not take this wrong and I am only trying to help, but I thought the same way for the first 2 1/2 years not even owning a balancer. For the last year and half I found out the batteries stay in top notch condition longer by balancing every charge. I also started using the Thunder Power TP-1010C charger that hooks with a data cable to the TP-205V balancer that you can read every cell in the battery while charging that I have learned alot with it and the main thing balancing does make a difference over the long run for optimum battery performance and long term care.

You really don't have to balance every time, but I would recommend at least every race weekend. It is not much trouble to hook up the balancer while hooking up to charge letting the charger read the true battery condition and adjust accordingly.

I like my Astro Flight 109, but the Thunder Power TP-1010C charger does so much more and is just as fast on a peak charge.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Craps
Please do not take this wrong and I am only trying to help, but I thought the same way for the first 2 1/2 years not even owning a balancer. For the last year and half I found out the batteries stay in top notch condition longer by balancing every charge. I also started using the Thunder Power TP-1010C charger that hooks with a data cable to the TP-205V balancer that you can read every cell in the battery while charging that I have learned alot with it and the main thing balancing does make a difference over the long run for optimum battery performance and long term care.

You really don't have to balance every time, but I would recommend at least every race weekend. It is not much trouble to hook up the balancer while hooking up to charge letting the charger read the true battery condition and adjust accordingly.

I like my Astro Flight 109, but the Thunder Power TP-1010C charger does so much more and is just as fast on a peak charge.
NO Craps, no offense taken at all and I hope you dont think it was directed at you; thats why I said to each his own. Me, I havent used a balancer and have gotten serious juice out of my packs. If I used a balancer I might even stretch em even further. I do not wish to steer anyone away from a product that will aide and assist in maximizing performance.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Several of the Pro Truck racers and alot of gas racers using li-pos are using this balancer from Astro Flight called a "Blinky" that sells for $24.95 at Tower Hobbies.

I own one also, but prefer the Thunder Power one that cost twice as much for the main reason it will data link with the TP Charger.

Last edited by Craps; 09-26-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Tech Initiate

how do u charge lipos without balancing?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snail run
how do u charge lipos without balancing?
Well, if you are asking this, you are making me nervous. But, here we go. Make sure you have a lipo compatible charger. Then, depending the charger, ensure it is set for the amount of cells/lipo setting for your pack. Set your cycle rate....lipo packs are to be charged at 1C of the mah....in english, 1 amp for every 1000mah. If you are charging a Maxamps 6000 and your charger has the amp threshhold, you would set it at:

Toggle to "lipo"
set for 2 Cells
6 Amps if your charger can go that high...if not, the closest you can get it to that rate
6000 mah max rate (lockout)
If your charger allows, set for 8.4v cut-off.

Plug in, start. Monitor, check your pack every 15 minutes. At this rate, it should take 45 minutes to an hour. When finished, disconnect, plug into car and go...FASTER!