R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   How High-End Do We Need Our Equipment To Be Competitive ??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/182855-how-high-end-do-we-need-our-equipment-competitive.html)

Tpg racer 09-24-2007 03:18 AM

How High-End Do We Need Our Equipment To Be Competitive ???

Well, as the topic stated above how expensive do our equipment need to be for us to race competitively??? Most people race with high-end stuffs but there are low budget racers that is quite competitive........

So how much difference does high-end equipment does to a racer???

Lets discuss shall we......:nod:

magm20001 09-24-2007 03:47 AM

competitve in club racing is easy. i.e being mid field. you can be midfield with stick packs and a sport chassis like a ta05 or cyclone S.

but wining even in club racing you need top line equipment.

tires, battery, motor and chassis

vtl1180ny 09-24-2007 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by magm20001 (Post 3700648)
competitve in club racing is easy. i.e being mid field. you can be midfield with stick packs and a sport chassis like a ta05 or cyclone S.

but wining even in club racing you need top line equipment.

tires, battery, motor and chassis

That's BS... The fast guys will still be the fast guys no matter what they run... It's their drive to be the fastest and attention to detail in setting up the car that make the difference...

magm20001 09-24-2007 04:22 AM

^^^ thats b.s

whens the last time you saw the top 3 in any decent club event run anything other than 1.25+v matched packs and a race level chassis

yeah fast guys will be fast, but fast guys dont use cheap shit

fathead 09-24-2007 04:35 AM

Fast guys will always be fast no matter what they run (to a point), and slow guys will always be slow and blame it on the equipment.

A chassis like the TA05 or whatever the sport Xray is will be more than enough for most people, they have all the same adjustments, you are much better to spend the money where it counts, decent motor and decent matched cells, you don't need a stupid expensive charger and or discharger, comm lathe etc. instead of buying all the alloy bling that everyone "has" to have because they think it will make them faster, go out and buy a few sets of tyres and practice until they are worn out, I guarantee it WILL make you faster.

So yes you can race on a tight budget, but you need to buy smarter not buy more.

skypilot 09-24-2007 05:00 AM

oh boy, i'm gonna catch hell for this, but,

may i point out that the NEW roar masters champ used a xray fk05 to beat the 6 six time defending champ who was using the latest and greatest xray 007.

i believe FATHEAD has hit the nail on the head.

bighurt98 09-24-2007 05:07 AM

What??

Originally Posted by magm20001 (Post 3700689)
^^^ thats b.s

whens the last time you saw the top 3 in any decent club event run anything other than 1.25+v matched packs and a race level chassis

Look, you take Baker, Lemieux, Tosolini, or any fast guy and put them in identical prepared cars with same motor and 3300 stick pack and they will be the top drivers against anyone! Why? They will out drive you. Yeah, they race the good batteries and equipment, but that is because they have too. Competition at that level requires that expense, not to them, but the cost of that equipment and batteries. The best way to move up at your club races is practice, practice, practice,and more practice. As you become faster and a better driver, you will begin getting better motors and better batteries because they will help you push the car as you become better. In the end, if you are a very good driver, you can overcome many others in racing that have better equipment because they can't handle that equipment. But, if someone is a very good racers with good equipment, you can know he will probably be faster than you and better stuff is the only way to compete.

fastharry™ 09-24-2007 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny (Post 3700687)
That's BS... The fast guys will still be the fast guys no matter what they run... It's their drive to be the fastest and attention to detail in setting up the car that make the difference...

Originally Posted by magm20001 (Post 3700689)
^^^ thats b.s

I continue to be one of the fastest guys at our racing sessions with a 3 year old PRO 4...ONE 1 year old 4800 orion lipo, and and a novak 4.5 brushless...

I am up against 12 to 15 guys weekly, on a 100 x 125 road course, all of which are running 07 x rays.......and multiple packs and the best equipment.........and all running 3.5's, 4.5's and the latest 13 mm rotors

I won the a main last week with the second fastest laps of the week.......

and not because I am fast.........I'm older, and not as quick as I used to be.......but that PRO 4, every week, is perfectly set up, never breaks, and I run it with the same set up all the time......I've learned to drive the car no matter what it does....and it fits me like the palm of my hand.....

magm20001 09-24-2007 05:11 AM

michael schumacher will beat you and i in a ford festiva even if we had ferraris. but MS would be able to do that against other top line drivers.

or rodger federe will beat anyone even some pros with a $40 walmart tennis racquet, but play someone with equal skill or even a bit lesseor skill (eg roddick) with a cheap racquet his task will be so much harder.

like i said to WIN you have to have the best. to be mid pack you can run anything u want if u got enough skill.

Desolas 09-24-2007 05:12 AM

It's not about having the highest end equipment to be competitive, it's about having the highest end equipment because it's pimp.

I don't buy a new car every year because I think it's going to make me a better driver, I do it because I want the best shiniest thing I can get my hands on.

Do I really need a $35 anodized aluminum timing jig when all I do is run stock and 19t? NO..but it makes one pimp ass tool/pen holder.

magm20001 09-24-2007 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by fastharry (Post 3700786)
I continue to be one of the fastest guys at our racing sessions with a 3 year old PRO 4...ONE 1 year old 4800 orion lipo, and and a novak 4.5 brushless...

I am up against 12 to 15 guys weekly, on a 100 x 125 road course, all of which are running 07 x rays.......and multiple packs and the best equipment.........and all running 3.5's, 4.5's and the latest 13 mm rotors

I won the a main last week with the second fastest laps of the week.......

and not because I am fast.........I'm older, and not as quick as I used to be.......but that PRO 4, every week, is perfectly set up, never breaks, and I run it with the same set up all the time......I've learned to drive the car no matter what it does....and it fits me like the palm of my hand.....

depends how competitive your club is.

some people go faster with stock motors then people with mod motors.

experience is invaluable, and experience will beat a newbie with top line equipment any day.

what we are talking about here is equal skill and experience of course top line batteries, motor tiuning skills and chassis will give u that 0.10 second a lap edge, and that edge is only usefull if u dont lose 10seconds every few laps by hitting the curbs and rolling it.

chicky03 09-24-2007 05:25 AM

Probably the most important thing you need is a good radio and servos. Servo being the most important. I have seen beginners try to run the $20 servo that come in the radio kit and it just does not have the power to make the car drive correctly. Depending on the class get the best servo possible. Not that I want this to sound like an advertizement but Futaba has some really good digital and brushless servos that will get the job done. The 3PM 2.4 radio is also a good buy. Seaball used this radio before the 2.4 and made many Stock national A mains so you know it is good. Since everyone is going to 2.4 lately you will save some money now by getting it to start. Not only that but you'll have no radio glitches that always seem to hamper beginner drivers.

Hope this helps,
Paul

mattnin 09-24-2007 05:48 AM

I agree, a good radio and servo is very important to be competitive. For batteries, it doesn't have to be high end, just get a lipo and charger. For stock motors, high end is important to stay competitive, but for mod, it is easier because I can go and pick out pretty much any mod motor and be just as fast as the guys on our track running 5.5 brushless. A high end soldering iron is good to have.

Also, you can't go wrong having a high end set of tools too. If you have a poor set of tools or just allen wrenches, you will be stuck in the pits when you could be practicing or racing.

fastharry™ 09-24-2007 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by magm20001 (Post 3700800)
depends how competitive your club is.

some people go faster with stock motors then people with mod motors.

experience is invaluable, and experience will beat a newbie with top line equipment any day.

what we are talking about here is equal skill and experience of course top line batteries, motor tiuning skills and chassis will give u that 0.10 second a lap edge, and that edge is only usefull if u dont lose 10seconds every few laps by hitting the curbs and rolling it.

my club is very competitive...they all race all over in Ny and Nj....off road at barnstormers and dirt runners, carpet racing in long island.....they are all A main guys.......again, not trying to say I am good, trying to stress that high end does not mean faster....

BTW, one thing I DO NOT scrimp on is tires.........to me, properly set ball diffs, and fresh tires do more for me than anything......and I will also say that good support equipment is important, as long as you use it.....my fave is the HUDY ultimate set up...and IRS balancing balls.....

this is a short clip taken on my phone of a practice session......it is outdoor in Nanuet NY...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfWGpmY5kDc

myk505 09-24-2007 06:17 AM

tires.

for stock and 19t i think that u need to have that little extra in equipment because everyone is running the same motors, but then again if you cant drive it, it doesnt matter. how high end do we need to be? just dont go too cheap, but more than likely people want to upgrade, and it is always cheaper to get the best from the start. just my opinion :smile: