Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How much $money$ do you have wrapped up in RC? >

How much $money$ do you have wrapped up in RC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much $money$ do you have wrapped up in RC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default How much $money$ do you have wrapped up in RC?

I was just curious about how much you have into all your RC stuff. Since I got back into it six months ago I have already spent well over 2k. I have a lot of bottom line stuff too, on and off road.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Im at about the 3K mark

And thats all in less then a year lol..

I wish I would have just went for the good stuff first, not start cheap, and then good.... Too much money

But too fun
Old 09-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

holy crud, 3k? parents must really love you, huh?

way too much over the last six years. I have a real car now so not much more money will be spent. If you are reading this Charlie, yes I finally got my license and a car. No more of you guys making fun of me during Oval races...... jerks
Old 09-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smojoe
holy crud, 3k? parents must really love you, huh?

way too much over the last six years. I have a real car now so not much more money will be spent. If you are reading this Charlie, yes I finally got my license and a car. No more of you guys making fun of me during Oval races...... jerks
HECK yeah!

Once the initial plunge is taken to get started, then it isnt bad to keep the car going
Old 09-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Over the last twenty years I can only imagine I've spent well over my age in thousands of dollars. This includes travel costs, all the race entries, and all the $ I've spent on my cars and trucks.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

It doesn't matter what I've spent. If I don't spend it my wife and kids will. Ok so my kid's are grown and I own my house.

Some people buy boats, jet skis, motorcycles, ATVs, RVs and other toys. Mine are just smaller.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To me as long as all my personal obligations are being taken care of(morgage,billz,food,clothes ect ect), it doesnt matter as long as im having fun.

Spend because you can or want to, dont spend to win races.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
To me as long as all my personal obligations are being taken care of(morgage,billz,food,clothes ect ect), it doesnt matter as long as im having fun.

Spend because you can or want to, dont spend to win races.

yup...... once everthing else is fine then its all good. lol u cannot put a price on fun and technology. some people may spend $60 a week in drinks in a bar or club......im spending that to get 2 new sets of RPs. last time i checked RPs does nothing to my liver..

but seriously my boss told me to take the money and spand it over the time u have been in RC and see the monthly average.......made me fell alittle better.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

well i have put in bout 3.5K since Jan 06
and I am only 16......with a job...so i pay my own way!
Old 09-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Have you ever broken down how much lunch costs everyday? vs. packing your own lunch on the way to work or something like that.

Lets say you go to subway everyday for lunch and get a meal deal. ex. 6.25
times 5 days is 31.25 a week x 4 weeks is 125 a month x 12 is $1500 on lunch alone .....IF IF IF IF IF IF IF you were to eat the same damn thing for lunch everyday for a year. and that's just lunch and only based on 5 day a week.

I've since taken this into consideration and figured that all the money I save on lunch everyday can be translated into more R/C money...so food and R/C is slowly balancing out.....sorry for the off topic obervation but kinda like you said about going to the bar and dropping 60 every week on drinks. that builds up quick!

I took a break from R/C while I finished up some college action and just got back into the game. I spent give or take $1200 getting back into a full race setup, granted you can get into Full Race spec for cheap if you buy everything here on RCTECH...I did, minus batteries (godda buy new batts!!)

but so far, 1200 for the year but that's just startup costs, usually only costs me $12 a week to race and that's about all I spend on the car every week.

if you only paid race entry fees for club racing for every week of the year, 12x52 is $624 for the year on race entry alone. ($12 for my home track, varies across the country I know) Then add in the big race here and there,

tires for my buggy are about $35 for a full set, buy them about twice a month, so thats 70x12 is $840 on tires alone if you were to race every club race every week of an entire year and buy tires every other week. Then add in your occasional big race.

The hobby seems super cheap, but once you really put some numbers together and look at it, all that stuff adds up real quick!

i know not everyone is racing EVERY week of EVERY month all year round, but these numbers are just an idea of what it can cost....i guess.

But hey, we could all be racing full scale and 1 set of tires could be $800 for one track day, so....hey, not too bad!
Old 09-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

12-14k in under a year
Old 09-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

In 3-1/2 yrs since I've started racing, close to 50K
Old 09-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

This r/c on-road stuff ain't cheap. I raced formula cars in SCCA years ago and my budget for r/c has eclipsed that by traveling to the Nats and IIC. And Scotty's race at Jamaica in 2008 will likely set a new all time record.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:41 PM
CSB
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Easy $5k a year, but the last three years have been spent in full scale cars, and we were spending $2k-$5k per race for one car, if we didnt break anything.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

I actually had to break this down when I was getting home owners insurance. So over the last 10 years or so, in equipment alone that is still owned and working (Not all the stuff thrown out over the years like tires, engines, motors, broken parts, etc...) my estimate is around $100,000 USD for insurance purposes. If I added the 1000's of dollars for all the traveling and hotels and race fees etc, it would be easily an additional $25-35K. Then add about another 35K+ of the stuff I have used up or wore out. The biggy here is .21 moddified onroad nitro engines and tires. I also do planes and just about every type of rc with wheels. Nitro mostly, but tons of electric stuff as well, both on and off road. I'm a major RC Junkie. I'm VERY fortunate to be able to make the type of money to allow me to do what I want with our hobby/Sport. And I will NEVER quit.
Plus I still get to race/play (well not any more because of back problems and surgeries) with my ATV's and Motorcross. I also like to build street racers, both imports and domestic (Muscle cars). Although I would NEVER street race. That is very dangerous. But I have probably put most of my money into RC when it comes to all my different toys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.