Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
So what happened to pan cars etc?? (old guy here) >

So what happened to pan cars etc?? (old guy here)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So what happened to pan cars etc?? (old guy here)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default So what happened to pan cars etc?? (old guy here)

Its been YEARS since I raced as a sponsored driver, then got hooked in fullsize cars.... now I'm back and in love with how inexpensive things have gotten (or how so it seems cheaper) and love the spec class cars such as the TT-01 Tamiya car and bought a re-released LunchBox for shits and giggles. So what happened to the old Pan cars that were so prevalent? They definitly wernt my favorite class but, what changed so much in the past 10 years or so??
Old 09-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default WHo knows

manufactures just weren't selling enough of them, they don't break and road course cars just were not easy to drive. hey i drive my rc10L3 every weekend at my club races, just won a 2 day race last weekend, i say bring em back!
Old 09-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I would love to see 1/10th pan onroad come back. It is a class that is trully a blast to race at the club level. Put a stock motor in one with 6 cells and it's a blast to drive. Maintenance is simple, they are tanks and they are cheap. I never understood why 4wd sedan is so popular, especially on carpet. I love driving my RC10L3. Nobody else brings them though.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Pan cars were fun,till you got to say, Megatrak in bronsmills ,NJ.. it was fun there, but the setups were SO complicated, it just took the fun out of it all.... cap tires, the BRAND body made a difference on how the car drove etc.... if things had been kept more spec calls it woudl have been gREAT.. I miss running with Baltimore Rough Riders when we raced outdoors at Cub Hill for offroad,then winter times we went to the Parkville Reccenter, unrolld 3 BIG ASS rolls of carpet and taped them up EVERY week. We had SOmuch fun.... I miss that, things were SO close and the people were great...
Old 09-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i ran mine tonight.. it's still fun
Old 09-23-2007, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

My 10L2 and L3T are collecting dust on a shelf....
Old 09-23-2007, 06:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We will be running them Tuesday and Saturday night.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Tech Adept

check out the following threads.....we are running these series down here in south Florida and some of our guys got rid of their Touring cars because of the fun, low maintenance, and easy set up.

http://slcf1.com/smf/index

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ht=porsche+cup

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ht=porsche+cup
Old 09-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

headshot, where again are you running? i ran my pan at village saturday night for fun..
Old 09-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

tally, we are running at Coral Springs.....it is just west of University and Ramblewood.

PM me if you need more details, but we will be running again Sunday. We run every Sunday, and our first race will be November 18 as a fundraiser for improvements, like a new driver stand, tents, pit tables, scoring system(we are borrowing one right now), etc. I will have a flyer made up within a week or so....
Old 09-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tallyrc
headshot, where again are you running? i ran my pan at village saturday night for fun..
TallyRC- nice to hear from you again--you're in South Florida already? I have been given over Coral Springs Speedway and have a nice group of guys that have started to come out and run. Most run Touring cars, mod and some 19T. And some run 1/12 and F103GT Tamiyas and 1/10 Pan car. We're out there every Sunday morning till late afternoon if the weather permits. Come out and bring your Pan car, will ya. I need someone to pratice with...those Touring cars and F103GTs have their hands full w/ the 1/10 pan cars Its getting lonely

"HeadShot"(Frank Ackey) is a passionate newcomer to the hobby, but has been eager to learn all he can about the hobby and help out with as much as possible with the track and setting up the club and racing. He has been trying out the Tamiya F103GTs and has been pushing the Porsche Cup style classes with those chassis. He's been running for almost a month now, and is now starting to drive smoother and quicker with much less mistakes- very good progress! There are about a 4 more of the Tamiya F103Gt's and they all come out to run Sundays. You'll be surprised how well those cars run w/ 10/5 or 13.5 BL motors and Lipos! Tire wear is minimal and you can run TC foams or rubber tires on them- which wear a bit better than pan car tires and are a bit cheaper. Contact Frank about this class if it interests you and i'm sure he can help you get started out w/ it...

If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to call:

Yohan
954-643-0209
Old 09-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

yohoan sounds good. sundays are not a great day for me to get away, but i will try. lemme get all my batteries and stuff sorted out and i'll make it down there..
Old 09-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For kicks we made a 1/10th version of our new 1/12th car to see how it would work. It is a 200mm pan car and we ran it with a TC body. We took it out yesterday running 4 cell with a 10 turn mod. The thing was awesome. It handled excellent, agressive but smoothe, extremely durable and easy to setup. I really enjoyed it.

The car was just a prototype with no real plans of following through but i gotta say, I want another one. It was a ton of fun. I would love to see the class come back
Old 09-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

protc3 send one over to tim at village so he can test it.. and me too
Old 09-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

To be honest, We only made it to play with being that there is no class locally. After running it yesterday it sparked alot of interest for a class. All we did was make a 1/10th chassis plate and added 1/10th rear axle and tires, the rest was my 1/12th car. We made it so we can run 4 cell across the chassis or lipo down the center.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.