Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The *OFFICIAL* *UNOFFICIAL* LiPo Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Default The *OFFICIAL* *UNOFFICIAL* LiPo Thread

I'm starting this thread with the honest intention of keeping all the LiPo related discussion in one place and here are a couple of reasons why...

1) At time of writing there are FOUR threads on the front page of Electric On-Road about LiPo batteries or the LiPo vs. NiMH debate. This is too many!

2) The board works very well with the voluntary system of a single thread for a single car or product - let's do the same with LiPo!

3) We are all having the same arguments/agreements over and over again and it is not helping anyone to have the same stuff written twenty times on the board when it only needs to be written once - let's say what we have to say once and mean it!

I'll summarise the discussions so far...

DISCUSSION 1:

Some people think that LiPo's are unsafe. Other people think that they are safe. The fact of the matter is that the LiPo cells need to be treated differently to what NiMH users are used to, and if treated incorrectly they are dangerous, as are all cells. There are also a few cases of poor quality or faulty cells failing too however that happens in all manufacturing and is not the fault of the battery chemistry.

DISCUSSION 2:

Some people think that sanctioning bodies are too slow to accept LiPo. The fact of the matter is that it the decision of the bodies themselves and their memberships to make the changes. Shouting about it on the internet will make no difference. If you feel the organising bodies are wrong you should vote with your feet and race elsewhere, or become active within the body and fight for the change yourself.

DISCUSSION 3:
Some people think that it is unfair for LiPo to run at the same weight as 6-cell NiMH. Actually it is the closest we will get at the moment to a level playing field. LiPo is a nominal 7.4V, 6-cell NiMH is a nominal 7.2V, if LiPO was to run at 150-200gms lighter it would be an entirely unfair advantage in terms of power to weight ratio. Just because the latest NiMH's have a higher voltage than the current LiPo's is not an argument for LiPo to be given a weight advantage, because the many racers who still use older cells are at a voltage disadvantage yet are happy to run at the same weight.

DISCUSSION 4:
LiPo's have a longer cycle life and can be recharged more often on the same day compared to NiMH. At present it seems that the LiPo's are more consistent for more cycles than some of the latest NiMH cells (particularly the IB4200). Also they can be topped up or only part charged and perform as well as a full fresh charge.

I think that pretty much sums it up - over to you all...
Old 09-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Good thought and good luck
Old 09-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Like the last poster, good luck. As soon and the Censorship Nazi moderator Mr. Losi sees this thread, he "will" shut it down, no questions asked. If you don't believe me, watch and learn.

Oh, if you question him on why he shut down your thread, he may even petition to have you banned from the site.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

As a token of my appreciation for creating this thread, I bequeath upon you a picture of the patron saint of RC:

Old 09-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Argh, I'm blind
Old 09-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jan Larsen
Argh, I'm blind
Is bestiality legal in Germany?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JLock
Like the last poster, good luck. As soon and the Censorship Nazi moderator Mr. Losi sees this thread, he "will" shut it down, no questions asked. If you don't believe me, watch and learn.

Oh, if you question him on why he shut down your thread, he may even petition to have you banned from the site.
Hopefully that's a fluke. Heavy-handed moderation is often the first nail in the coffin.

There have been a lot of good LiPo threads in the past that fizzle out in favor of spreading things around. Maybe it's time for a new sub-forum.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by McSmooth
As a token of my appreciation for creating this thread, I bequeath upon you a picture of the patron saint of RC:

I'll see your hoff and raise you recursion.

Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by undark
Maybe it's time for a new sub-forum.
Splitting up electric and nitro sure cut down on the drama in the offroad sections. I'd like to see a BL + Lipo sub-forum.
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jan Larsen
Argh, I'm blind
Originally, I was going to post a picture of a nuclear explosion. This was to foreshadow the upcoming "war" that is imminent with this topic.

However, upon further speculation, I was afraid too many would mistake the picture as a "slap" on LiPo technology and its stigma for catching fire.

So I decided to go the safe route, and post a tastefully prepared representation of the male nude.

Carry on, gentlemen.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leodis
Splitting up electric and nitro sure cut down on the drama in the offroad sections. I'd like to see a BL + Lipo sub-forum.
That would be a good idea. Then the only argument would be rubber or foam tires
Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ya, it might make the on-road section seem a little more focused again. Maybe we could even get them to sticky some of the better threads on the subject.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am doing a little celebratory dance about the 500th topic about Lipo Flame wars (pun intended)..
Old 09-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Patriiick
I am doing a little celebratory dance about the 500th topic about Lipo Flame wars (pun intended)..
I envision it looking like this:

Old 09-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Thats a good Idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.