Originally Posted by Victor Vector
The fumes from Lipo fire are rather nasty in nature and should definitely be avoided.
I haven't seen this issue addressed yet.
Can we get some words of wisdom from LIng on this matter please.
From a search in Wikipedia.
Lithium metal, due to its alkaline tarnish, is corrosive and requires special handling to avoid skin contact. Breathing lithium dust or lithium compounds (which are often alkaline) can irritate the nose and throat; higher exposure to lithium can cause a build-up of fluid in the lungs, leading to pulmonary edema. The metal itself is usually a handling hazard because of the caustic hydroxide produced when it is in contact with moisture causing an explosion. Lithium should be stored in a non-reactive compound such as naphtha or a hydrocarbon.[citations needed]