Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Lipo vs Nimh Racing and Minimum Weight >

Lipo vs Nimh Racing and Minimum Weight

Lipo vs Nimh Racing and Minimum Weight

Old 09-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

The more rules there are for electric the less people will go electric. That is why electric is dying. New comers perfer nitro becasue all they have to do is fill up and go.

This is what I see at my local track for on road racing. With only 8 people for one class, 4 tradtional guys don't want to run with the other 4 lipo and or brushless guys, so they have two races with 4 people each. No one had fun so the next week only 6 people showed up. There is no race for anyone becasue it take 4 people to have a class. Slowly no one showed up.

I think Lipo and Brushless motor are the future for electric.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default yyahim-shalom

I asked this same questions some weeks ago. One of the benefits of lipos is the fact that they are ligher, but to add the weights, counters this benefit. I too, run lipo and to add weights is a pain, but as dictated to me (sometime not in the nicest way) "rules are there to even the playing field".......
Old 09-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

As we know lipo's are extremely light in weight. If you do not add weight to make up the difference are your cars extremely off balance? Today's vehicles are not designed with lipo in mind. Sure they fit, but the balance has to be awful. Losi Type R could be the only exception to this rule.

Last edited by RBLove; 09-18-2007 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

well if roar passes lipos and 90 percent make the switch
make the minimum. what a lipo car weighs..

with a lighter car. you can setup shocks lighter.. . your car wont break as much.. aka less mass= less inertia. and less wear and tear on components.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The weight limit has always been there and for good reason. Lipo is just another form of power source but that doesn't make your car excempt from being at a weight limit.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

Maybe we can try what they do in real car races. In some races, all different classes race together. There is GT class, lola class ect. (24 hrs Daytona?) Even though they are in the same race, you are only racing with people in your class, in our case, the lipo class or the Nihm class. It does not hurt to race with people faster than you. It will make you better.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chewiefttc4
well if roar passes lipos and 90 percent make the switch
make the minimum. what a lipo car weighs..

with a lighter car. you can setup shocks lighter.. . your car wont break as much.. aka less mass= less inertia. and less wear and tear on components.
That would be logical if we didnt have to weigh the cars down to match that of the guys running sub c's. So the trade off is run sub c find ways to trim weight, run lipo, find ways to add weight. But you know whats funny, guys running 5 cells says its to lighten the car, and enables the user to shift weight around. Hard nut to crack until their are standards written that take lipo into full account.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

i add 95g to my FK04 & 125g to my old BD i had , if this is all i have to do to use my Li-po @ club racing ,then it is a small price to pay so being a pain it is not (not when compared to charging & equalising c-cells)

6 cell 1500g

how about 1450g for both class's ,then maybe down to 1400g maybe

atleast BOTH side's get something in there favour
Old 09-19-2007, 01:24 AM
Tech Elite

So now the LiPo racers are whining because their cars are all of a sudden at a DISADVANTAGE to the NiMH cars?

I thought you lot all though LiPo was the second coming?

Sorry, but we have a weight limit of 1500gms for TC's with a nominal 7.2V power supply. LiPo is a nominal 7.4V so if anything you should have an advantage running at the same weight.

Or perhaps it is time for LiPO runners to admit that NiMH are still the BETTER power source for electric racers? A good pack of IB or EP at 1500gms will beat all the LiPo packs on the market right now at the same weight.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sosidge
So now the LiPo racers are whining because their cars are all of a sudden at a DISADVANTAGE to the NiMH cars?

I thought you lot all though LiPo was the second coming?

Sorry, but we have a weight limit of 1500gms for TC's with a nominal 7.2V power supply. LiPo is a nominal 7.4V so if anything you should have an advantage running at the same weight.

Or perhaps it is time for LiPO runners to admit that NiMH are still the BETTER power source for electric racers? A good pack of IB or EP at 1500gms will beat all the LiPo packs on the market right now at the same weight.
Um, no. First off, I'm not whining. The question yyahim is asking is plain, if cars can be lightened regardless the cells, and if lipo gives an additional advantage, why do the cars have to be "weighed down"??? AND, peak charge start up charge on nimh is anywhere from 8.8 to 9.6 volts (depending on how one goes at it with the amps) where lipo peak starting voltage is 8.4 volts. First two minutes, advantage is to nimh. Trade off.??????
Old 09-19-2007, 02:41 AM
Tech Adept

Default Batt's

Let's not get into the Lipo vs Nimh pissing match again, it always seems to be the same people and it's getting old.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The correct weight is 1525 grams and yes it is fair.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

be warned balancing current lipos take a lot of weight ie 3 packets of much more weight. but u can get that stuff from a wheel shop just ask for stick on wheel weights cheaper but can get expensive if u have multiple packs and u use both so the weight has to be on the pack.
i find lipo are consistent and have as much punch as a good nimh bout 3 minutes into a run once its initial punch is gone.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Um, no. First off, I'm not whining. The question yyahim is asking is plain, if cars can be lightened regardless the cells, and if lipo gives an additional advantage, why do the cars have to be "weighed down"??? AND, peak charge start up charge on nimh is anywhere from 8.8 to 9.6 volts (depending on how one goes at it with the amps) where lipo peak starting voltage is 8.4 volts. First two minutes, advantage is to nimh. Trade off.??????
My dear friend, this post proves you know nothing about how battery voltage actually works. So perhaps you should stop "adding" to the debate and starting dumbass threads.

If you can find me a 6-cell pack that will give 9.6V UNDER RACING LOADS I will pay you 1 MILLION DOLLARS :dr evil:
Old 09-19-2007, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

@sosidge
we are not whining (as you call it
just sharing thought's & stuff & it was yyhayyim who started this thread aswell, not bxpitball

the c-cells of today are more then likley not 7.2 v as you put it
things have changed in c-cell saga & voltage is one of them & if anything the c-cells are the iffy ones now in re;; to voltage

the weight i have no problem with either ,i'm just as quick with my li-po as i am with c-cells @1500g
i have just spent £70.00 (li-po) on battery for this winter instead of £135.00 (3 pks)

Sosidge
just remember how in the past year the c-cells have changed alot internally ,but it still has the 'old' shrink to say 1.2v ,when really they could be now 1.25vpc = 7.5v pk

But i not bothered @ running 1500g with c-cellers ,aslong as i can run MY stuff @ club ,thats good ,being turned away coz i have not the right gear is not good (i buy what i want ,with my own money ,i don't buy to fit in with some else's rules ,really expensive that way (it's a HOBBY

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.