Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah >

SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah

SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah

Old 09-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Tim, there is even more info on the instruction sheets. As I said, in order to have the packs shipped air freight and in order to be sold by the major distributors, we had to submit all safety data and pass...which we did.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Again, thank you Danny. You should be elected as the sole spokesperson for SMC. :-)
Old 09-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Street price on our pack should be 120-135 depending on the shop and there pricing structure so I really don't think that is expensive for a 22C/5000 pack ?

Does your Maxamps 6000 pack come in a hard case ?
No, but they have enough options AND a variety of prices. Heck, for a few dollars more, I can buy an 8000 Mah and go for a weekend. Look Danny, I have caught major flack for sticking up for soft case, you guys hitting me with a barrage of questions is not a good look. I am just agreeing with others about several items. It is what it is fellas.

Last edited by bxpitbull; 09-25-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Has anyone guess the supplier yet and got a free battery pack?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
Tim, there is even more info on the instruction sheets. As I said, in order to have the packs shipped air freight and in order to be sold by the major distributors, we had to submit all safety data and pass...which we did.
Is it so hard to post this info? I've actually given up on getting it from SMC and I asked the guy that started this thread to scan and send it to me. Hopefully he still has it.

Like I said, your website is a lipo wasteland and this is the only place to get it for now.

Danny thank you for posting that.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm not danny but i think i can help u with a few questons:

- If you were to puncture this pack (lets say from a nail sticking out on the track barrier). What would happen?

The pack would likely not work any more, please dispose of it safely,contact the track owner and ask that they repair there unsafe track and perhaps use wood screws instead of nails and assemble the track with the screw heads facing the racing surface. Sounds like the track is the problem not the battery

- If your charger went haywire and didnt cut off properly when fully charged what would happen to the pack?

Probably damage the pack, I would stop using that charger and send your charger back to the manufacture for repairs, Sounds like the charger is the problem not the battery.

- If you were to short the pack out what happens?

You could destroy it or create a hazardous condition..I would avoid shorting your lipos as well as nihm packs ,12volt car batterys or 120v outlets in your house. Sounds like the user is the problem not the battery.

- If you accidentally over discharged the pack what happens?

You could damage them

- If you happened to dent the pack what happens?

Depends how much of a dent, big enough dent could damage the internals

I cant think of smart ass comments for the rest
Old 09-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Glad to be able to post info when possible.

I started SMC many years ago and it has become a very succesful company by selling high performance cells for the racers. We stand behind our products and will continue to do so. It would make no sense for us start selling crappy Lipos as this is not what were about. I know a few of you are upset because were not telling who is making these packs but please understand it's a business decision and if you were in my shoes you would most likely do the same.

As an experienced RC racer and company owner I have allot of experience when it comes to RC batteries. The fact is that racers want to race what is best and they believe that a bit more average voltage and a bit lower IR is important. This is why are 1.24 voltage cells are more expensive than our 1.23s. Prior to a major race racers ask us for new packs. I ask them why they want new packs and they tell me that fresh packs run better than used packs. That makes sense as nothing gets better the more you use it. So please explain to me why Lipos will or would be different ? The racers will want a bit more average voltage and less IR and when a big race comes around they will want a fresh pack. Racing is racing and the key is to try to beat the next guy. Part of it has to do with driving skills and they other part is equipment and preparation. When I started racing in 1985 it was like that and in 2007 it's still the same.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

If we would of decided to go the Kokam, Ennerland or Saehan route we would just be supplying the same packs as others.
How is that different from an IB NiMh cell that everyone else "matches" and then sells?

Nevermind. I appreciate your answers, Danny, but I don't think anyone is in an uproar because you aren't disclosing your manufacturer source. That's your prerogative, and it's your choice in how you run your business. I doubt too many would begrudge that point.

What I do think most people are a bit cranky about, however are a few points:

One, Jack's irreverent treatment of people asking simple questions about your product, specifically the product's safety and performance. Even in a joking manner, it's uncalled for in any public forum. Period.

Two, the complete ignorance of any request for valid concerns about safety testing or documented proof that these packs won't explode like many Chinese LiPos we all have seen on YouTube. Many of us tend to not want to take anyone's word on something like that, regardless of the fact that other company's documents might not be anything out of the manufacturing process norm.

And three, if you were to sell unlabeled NiMh packs and just told everyone to "trust me, they're faster than anything else out there" I think you may have some people who wouldn't be drinking the grape Kool-Aid just based on SMC's reputation alone. Your audience isn't necessarily asking you to do something different than what is already out there, but at that price point, most racers will want to know WHAT and WHY your packs are superior to others in that price range—not just, "it will blow your competition's stickers off."

Jack and Danny, if you haven't figured it out yet, the LiPo crowd is VERY different than anything you may have experienced before—even with the brushless motor soap boxers. The batteries are completely different and so is the way we buy them. We need to know other things about them, not just because we want to go faster, but because most LiPo proponents are acutely aware of the issues of mass acceptance at tracks and by other racers (read: ROAR), and we'd all hate to see the progress made so far reversed in an instant when something happens that could easily be avoided. There is a LOT of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt still surrounding the safety of these packs, and there has been a LOT of work by racers everywhere to dispel a lot of that at local tracks.

Most of the voices you hear are very researched and learned with this technology, and are likely not to be placated by marketing pabulum as much as other products might allow. Shoot straight and honest with your consumers, and don't treat us like children. We'd rather hear "I don't know, but I'll find out for you" than be told that we don't need the information.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Apex, again...very well put. Even though I trust that SMC would put out some quality stuff, not the "chinese cheapos", one can never be too cautious. They have been quite secretive and tight lipped about their stuff. With so many different rules out there governing lipos, this is the most I have seen any one brand discussed in a hot minute that hasnt gotten a thread locked down.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes RCtech is a public forum and I have always used it to give info and my opinions. As consumers and potential customers your allowed to get information and answers but some of you just want to argue and bash us. For somone to complain about us not having a hard case makes no sense as other companies offer regular cased Lipos. Then there is the entire price issue. SMC supports local tracks and shops by selling through distributors who then sell to shops. This is what most companies choose to do. I said it in an earlier post our pack is sold for less to Hobbyshops than the Orion pack. Some seem to think that the hardcase should be worth more but when we do release one we will try and keep the price the same. When I look at sites that sell various Lipos it seems that higher the mAH and higher the C rate the higher the price.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Some seem to think that the hardcase should be worth more but when we do release one we will try and keep the price the same. When I look at sites that sell various Lipos it seems that higher the mAH and higher the C rate the higher the price.
I'm glad to hear SMC is going to make a hard case lipo. The more the merrier. Kokam's soft 4800 costs $10 less than Orion's (kokam) 4800 at Tower. That $10 buys a hard case, fuse, internal balancing port, and sexy internal +/-female connectors. Rick really threw down the gauntlet with that design. I can't wait to see what Reedy, SMC, and possibly other companies come up with in the future.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yes RCtech is a public forum and I have always used it to give info and my opinions. As consumers and potential customers your allowed to get information and answers but some of you just want to argue and bash us. For somone to complain about us not having a hard case makes no sense as other companies offer regular cased Lipos. Then there is the entire price issue. SMC supports local tracks and shops by selling through distributors who then sell to shops. This is what most companies choose to do. I said it in an earlier post our pack is sold for less to Hobbyshops than the Orion pack. Some seem to think that the hardcase should be worth more but when we do release one we will try and keep the price the same. When I look at sites that sell various Lipos it seems that higher the mAH and higher the C rate the higher the price.
Danny,
I honestly think most of the argumentative tone came from the fact that from the start, any questions were dismissed as too burdensome to answer and we were too demanding to ask them in the first place. It wasn't until a page or so ago that any information was given. The fact that you are SMC is probably one of the few reasons we are still here discussing it now rather than dismissing it all as wasted effort. I think Apexspeed has nailed the lipo mindset. Remember how many people still think lipos will flame up by looking at them wrong. Any problem lipo pack will reinforce that impression so forgive me for not taking anyone's word at face value.

Now, I thank you for the information given. I hope your packs are everything you say they are and I'll cross my fingers for a hardcase myself. Then I'll jump at the chance to try it out.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Just an FYI -- It seems like 4800 Orion packs are getting a little cheaper...they're down to $129 at Speedtech

That's the same price as the SMC from what I can can see...tell me again why I want an SMC? I must have missed something...oh yeah...LOL...the "blowing the stickers off" stuff with the extra 200mAH.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 09-26-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Just an FYI -- It seems like 4800 Orion packs are getting a little cheaper...they're down to $129 at Speedtech

That's the same price as the SMC from what I can can see...tell me again why I want an SMC? I must have missed something...oh yeah...LOL...the "blowing the stickers off" stuff with the extra 200mAH.

You pompous, arrogant, condenscending, lil bastid.......too bad you are right!
Old 09-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
[/B]

You pompous, arrogant, condenscending, lil bastid.......too bad you are right!
How do you know how tall I am ???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.