Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dangers of Nickel Batteries!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...ANYBODY who thinks that SHOWING NiMh's BLOWING UP is a Bash on LiPo has their head up their AXX

Fact IS - the NiMh's even though we've been using them for a few years now...are still a FAIRLY NEW Technology to US, and the MFG's are pushing their LIMITS further and further everyday.

In 22 years of racing - I've seen batteries OVERCHARGED and vent, melt the shrink...and have other problems...but I have NEVER seen batteries do what I've seen in just this year alone.

WE had a racer in July who's packs EXPLODED over an hour after a race...they were discharged and put away in his FOAM layed plastic box..and he had left the track and was about 30 minutes down the freeway from the race track...when 2 of his packs EXPLODED and CAUGHT FIRE in the bed of his truck going down the FREEWAY.

PEOPLE - call it what you want - I personally think it's a QUALITY CONTROL problem from overzealous Battery MFG's trying to PUSH the limit too much on this technology - add to that the way WE charge and discharge MAY now be of concern. (The guys whose packed exploded in his truck bed is a guy who is VERY Gentle on his equipment..and he charges at 5 1/2 amps.)

YOU can look the otherway in the SAFETY area..but guys YOU/WE need to be careful.

I don't care if it's NiMh or LiPo or NITRO - we as racers need to PAY ATTENTION and BE SAFE - or something is going to happen that will give RC Racing an even WORSE name - and we'll NEVER Be able to INSURE an event.~~~
Old 09-17-2007, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Can some of the OP's on these threads have an injection of common sense please?

There is room for NiMH and LiPo in the hobby. Can't we all just get along?

ALL cells are dangerous if treated improperly. Simple as that.

All these "X vs. Y - you're either with me or against me" threads serve no purpose.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

I like my old Ib3800's, the vents work correctly and they hiss and pop just like they are supposed to.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

personally whether u like nimh lipo or both this isnt good for the hobby and the industry so stop bagging eachother and work together imo
Old 09-17-2007, 04:42 AM
ark
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I would'nt label the NIMH cells as dangerous. Take a closer look at the pic. I'd bet the cels were dislodged in the car and touched the cells on the other side.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scrubb
I like my old Ib3800's, the vents work correctly and they hiss and pop just like they are supposed to.
I used IB3800 Ni-mh at the Nats this year due to so many problems with the 4000+ mah Ni-mh!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ark
I would'nt label the NIMH cells as dangerous. Take a closer look at the pic. I'd bet the cels were dislodged in the car and touched the cells on the other side.
Here is the story that goes with the pictures as posted on the ogle!

One of the Academy team had this pack of cells blow whilst walking to morning practice! The offending cell blew through the carbon battery strap and bent the centre drive shaft like a banana. It happened again to one of the Yokomo drivers a little later on.
Note he was walking to the track!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Hey note that when a certain drivers personal full size car went up in flames last year from the LIPO...he had not raced in a few hours and was in his house asleep.

As stated before both types are dangerous. Its what YOU would rather have.

An explosion or to have a ball of fire burn everything down around you...

I can say that out of about 10 yrs of racing I have NEVER had one of my own packs blow up or catch fire, guess I have been lucky!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

YOu can have Lipos...watch these and tell me they are "SAFE". I can only imagine ME sitting in my pits and then all of a sudden a huge fire ball rolls up and catches all my rc stuff on fire...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...60570423705609

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...29910860084249

And this one IS WHAT NOT TO DO! This guy is an idiot! LOL

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=5
Old 09-17-2007, 07:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I am currently using all NiMh packs (and a few NiCd's for spec) after previously using LiPo. Other than extended runtime, I'm happy as can be and still get 10+ min runtimes out of my NiMh packs and see no reason to go back to LiPo yet.

I do have to comment on the NiMh temp cutoff. On an ICE, I have the temp cutoff set at 120. The charger does what it's supposed to and stops charging at 120, however if you watch the temp after the charge is complete, I've seen it continue to rise by as much as 10-15 degress while just sitting on the bench disconnected from the charger.

Just because the charger cuts off doesn't mean that the chemical reaction inside the battery is stable immediately.

Another question is why hasn't LiMn caught on? From all research (not just Apogee's website) it appears to be a much safer Lithium technology.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Please stay on topic!

We know alot of you guys are sponsored by or even part of a nickel battery company and please don't be prejudice by distorting the facts or making personal attacks.

This thread is not a ni-mh vs li-po thread and is meant as a discussion thread for the rash of nickel battery fires and explosions lately with it even happening at the Worlds!

The concern is that nickel battery technology may have went over the limit of safety by packing more and more into the same size of cell.

Li-pos have had plenty of threads on the safety of them years ago and this thread has nothing to do with that!

Again please don't let this start into a nickel vs li-po war! Keep it on the oringinal subject!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Am I the only one who is starting to wonder whether its time to get out of RC racing? Seems like everyday there is a new thread about the dangers of these batteries. Racing is a lot of fun, but it's not worth burning my house down or getting blinded by a blown up battery. Maybe all this stuff is exaggerated as I've had no problems with my 4200's. Maybe it's just one group or another trying to make the other battery look bad and making up stories. RC racing really needs some solid leadership and somebody needs to determine what is safe and what's not.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

What racing in all fourms needs is people posting the positive things being seen.. No all the negitive like in here. In any sport hobby there are dangers. To help the hobby grow expose the good not the bad expecially if you DONT KNOW all the facts of what really happened..
Old 09-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

Originally Posted by John Tag
What racing in all fourms needs is people posting the positive things being seen.. No all the negitive like in here. In any sport hobby there are dangers. To help the hobby grow expose the good not the bad expecially if you DONT KNOW all the facts of what really happened..
Ill agree with that
Old 09-17-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by John Tag
So a quote like the one below are not needed with videos of people intentional abusing them way beyond the norm!!!

Originally Posted by imprsme
YOu can have Lipos...watch these and tell me they are "SAFE". I can only imagine ME sitting in my pits and then all of a sudden a huge fire ball rolls up and catches all my rc stuff on fire...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...60570423705609

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...29910860084249

And this one IS WHAT NOT TO DO! This guy is an idiot! LOL

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=5
What is sad is the last video is not even of a li-po but a electronic speed control burning up that was hooked to a nickel battery pack!

I don't think anybody is saying any battery is safe, but posting to make sure everybody handles and charges them all safely!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.