Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
we really need to give the suspension mounts nicknames, any suggestions?
Front / Rear of car, and Fore(ward) / Aft within the end of the car?

For example, "place a shim under the rear foreward hinge pin mount".

-Mike
Old 07-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugen10
This new lipo. chassis. Will it be the same 2.5mm? Will this not make the chassis stiffer and better for carpet rubber racing? I will be racing rubber on carpet so this is one car I am considering.

You need to give in BTW chassis right now is not 2.5 it's 2.25 (2.5 is an option chassis)
Old 07-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheehtae
You need to give in BTW chassis right now is not 2.5 it's 2.25 (2.5 is an option chassis)
Chi Chi I should have known that you would be sniffing around. I do want to run the non norm chassis. I like the Photon but now everyone is leaning to that chassis. So now it is the 416 and Xray for carpet season.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

He might also mean he is running anti-dive, .5mm under the front rear - we really need to give the suspension mounts nicknames, any suggestions?

If you are running anti-dive, you will get more initial steering and less mid corner. Compared to the 416X kit setup, adding 0.5mm extra under all the suspension blocks will maintain a similar balance but the car will sit much flatter through corners. If the grip is high, more corner speed will be the result, if the grip is low the car will slide around.
I normally refer them as 1,2,3,4 or you may refer them as toe 1, toe 2, or t1, t2.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

He might also mean he is running anti-dive, .5mm under the front rear - we really need to give the suspension mounts nicknames, any suggestions?

If you are running anti-dive, you will get more initial steering and less mid corner. Compared to the 416X kit setup, adding 0.5mm extra under all the suspension blocks will maintain a similar balance but the car will sit much flatter through corners. If the grip is high, more corner speed will be the result, if the grip is low the car will slide around.
i refer to susp mounts as FF FR RF and RR
Old 07-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodo
i refer to susp mounts as FF FR RF and RR
also my preferred method

I now have my preorder in for the lipo conversion, like someone said on the last page 5th of august is the release date in Japan, and if buying the 201 has taught me anything its that rc champ will have it at my doorstep by the 8th
Old 07-16-2010, 12:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Hi guy would really appreciate an answer on the question below:

the new TRF Li-Po chassis comes with either a one way spool or without. What do you use a one way spool for? I'm driving on asphalt so not sure if I need one?

cheers

Thanks for the replies CraigM & DirtyDog

Last edited by Taman; 07-16-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I would say not, but its up to you. In slower classes some people use one ways and they can be very fast but realistically a spool will always be better in a race. The reason they do an upgrade with the one way is because with the belts flipped the kit one way won't work
Old 07-16-2010, 12:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default lipo chassis

There are 2 different kits available (lipo conversions - not whole kits). They are both the same, except one comes without the centre oneway pulley and front oneway diff unit.

The part numbers are:

42181 - comes with oneways
42182 - comes without oneways

All other chassis parts and mounting parts are the same. Both chassis (main deck) is 2.25mm with a 2.0mm top deck.

42181 is available now (I have had mine since Monday this week).
42182 is not yet available.

It is personal preference and track type what conversion kit to get. Most tracks and people do not use oneways (front or centre) anymore. (except racers in Japan - hence why the oneway version is available now).

HTH.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:13 AM
Tech Addict

Err, what is the question? Put the spacers in, your car will be much improved

Erick was your testing with the high diffs on carpet or asphalt?
On asphalt only.
I dont think the high diffs are a good idea on carpet, but I will check with my source what the team ran this winter on carpet.

Eirik
Old 07-16-2010, 02:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Does the new kit come with a gear diff at the rear?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JCarr
Thanks for the replies guys, but now I'm a little more confused. I'll have to find the post, but it said to raise the rear RC to get more steering. The problem I have is that the rear is planted and pushes when on throttle, but if I let off and let the car "set" I can get back on throttle on make the corner. I'm losing a lot of time having to slow down way early so the car "set" for the corner. Right now I have no shims under any of the susp. mounts, what result would putting the .5mm shims under the rear mounts(fr/rr) get me?
This was my question.

Originally Posted by artwork
When you put shims under your arms you are raising the roll center, and when you put shims under your camber links you are lowering the roll center...

To lower the roll center you would raise the inner camber link position and lower the front arm. You could also lower the outside camber link as well.
Lower
• More on-throttle steering.
• Car is less responsive.
• More weight transfer at front of car.
• Better on smooth, high grip tracks with long fast corners.

To raise the roll center you would lower the inner camber link and raise the front arm. You could also raise the outside camber link as well.
Higher
• Less on-throttle steering.
• Car is more responsive.
• Less weight transfer at front of car.
• Use in high grip conditions to avoid traction rolling.
• Use on tracks with quick direction changes (chicanes).
This was the reply that I got, but it was converse to the post that you, Craig M, made prior.

Err, what is the question? Put the spacers in, your car will be much improved

Erick was your testing with the high diffs on carpet or asphalt?
I was trying to figure out if putting the shims under the susp. blocks on the back of the car would get me the effect I am looking for. As for refering to the blocks I think it would easier to refer to them as f1,r2, f3, r4 going from front to rear on the car.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jim_1987
Does the new kit come with a gear diff at the rear?
No, Tamiya does not make a gear diff.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Artworks discription is what I find as well. To put a shim under the suspension bridges front or back will loosen that end of the car, less grip.

How about calling them (from front to rear) front, mid front, mid rear, and rear, I think its pretty self explanitory.

Boy I hate this car, I have a worked over 416, not a WE or a X, I have shelved this car for about 4 months now, due to a disagreement, last week I took it out, put in a older speed control and a used up motor, proceded to turn more consistant laps and only a 10th off my best time with the car I have spent a lot more time on. They are both great cars, but my 416 is such a tease.

JCarr, what is it your trying to make the car do??
Old 07-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DirtyDog3375
There are 2 different kits available (lipo conversions - not whole kits). They are both the same, except one comes without the centre oneway pulley and front oneway diff unit.

The part numbers are:

42181 - comes with oneways
42182 - comes without oneways

All other chassis parts and mounting parts are the same. Both chassis (main deck) is 2.25mm with a 2.0mm top deck.

42181 is available now (I have had mine since Monday this week).
42182 is not yet available.

It is personal preference and track type what conversion kit to get. Most tracks and people do not use oneways (front or centre) anymore. (except racers in Japan - hence why the oneway version is available now).

HTH.

How much?

How about some pictures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.