Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X >

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Old 11-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Atomic ECS

I got my ECS's and finally installed them for some hard testing.

I took them apart and gave them a grease job (AWS) and re-assembled with blue loc-tite on the grub screws. So far the pro and cons are, they seem to be in general good quality but the grub screws are very thin walled and its very easy to round them out if your not careful. Once I had them back togeather I took it one step further and shrink wrapped the carnden unit to keep the pins in, incase the grub screws didn't hold. (This is the same as what LOSI does with their units). I greased the cushion pins and put the whole thing togeather.

When bench testing the car it seemed to have excessive drag? Back apart only to find that, (my car has been running using Xray steering hubs) the Xray hubs are just the slightest amount wider than the stock Tamiya ones and the flash of the hub was enough to catch the hexes when rotating giving it a notchey feel. So I installed the stock Tamiya pieces, which I can tell you, I have destroyed a lot of.

On track performance, although not any faster on our track, they are definately smoother, as my car had a noticable chatter in the very tight turns that was now gone. I also found that I could dial a little more total throw into the car and still have no chatter issues.

They are shorter that what I would prefer to run (46mm) as I fear for the outdrives. Since the ones I had in the car where pretty worn I opted to change them out, but I had a set from a 415 that I ordered by accident, so I figured I would try them just in case they couldn't take the shorter units. The 415 outdrives are made of white materail not black and just marginally shorter than the stock 416 units, so I had to file the outer aluminum collars down a touch for this all to work. The 415 outdrives seem to be a little beefier than the 416 and a little more pliable, as I have had no breaking issues yet, and I have challenged the boards a couple of times, that would have exploded the stock 416/42 setup.

The only thing to really watch out for on these units is the pin end that plunges the outdrive cup. As I was putting the car back togeather I had no shocks on the front and was rotating the spool and lifting the suspension arms and as I was rotating the whole assembly it would actually lock the suspension momentarily, the cause of this was the pin was just wide enough to catch the inside of the aluminum collar at extreme angles. I just filed a little off each end of the pin and checked again, now there was no more locking up.

Are they worth it? For sure they are smoother, but no noticeable time gain was found.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Artwork ygpm
Old 11-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Here is the setup in case anyone wanted to see it. PM me if you have any questions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Untitled-1.pdf (145.5 KB, 552 views)

Last edited by artwork; 11-20-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Default ECS update

Entire day of racing and beating down walls and no pin or outdrive issues, I'm either lucky or it safe to say they are ok to use. (17.5)

Artwork, tried your setup, not the ticket for our track, thanks anyways.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Initiate

i love mine i just put a tekin 17.5 in it and ran a race agains a buddy who has a 415 msxx MR and destroyed his! in the turns i could hold so much more speed and his car just felt lose and slugish and we had practily the exact same cars(except tune)

since im new does anyone know what parts i should keep on hand? i have a full screw set now. thanks
Old 11-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Entire day of racing and beating down walls and no pin or outdrive issues, I'm either lucky or it safe to say they are ok to use. (17.5)

Artwork, tried your setup, not the ticket for our track, thanks anyways.

Car was really good for me today...I made two of very minor changes and the car was digging in really well on high speed sections. Sorry to hear it did not work for you...
Old 11-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

What changes?

Originally Posted by artwork
Car was really good for me today...I made two of very minor changes and the car was digging in really well on high speed sections. Sorry to hear it did not work for you...
Old 11-23-2009, 03:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,
witch retainer (cup ?) using with HPI gold & silver 14mm spring ?
Tamiya alu are too small and spring does not fit very well....
Thx
Old 11-23-2009, 04:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Stephtruc
Hi,
witch retainer (cup ?) using with HPI gold & silver 14mm spring ?
Tamiya alu are too small and spring does not fit very well....
Thx
I use the standard plastic one...has worked fine...

Old 11-23-2009, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had the worst weekend for the short time I have the 416WE. The first weekend the car was drivable but week after week the car became progressively worst, my rear end keep swinging out on the 180 deg corners, I tried different springs, oil's and setup and no help, it happen mostly on power exiting corners.

My setup: Front spring white/50 oil
Spool
No shims under arm pivots
4mm shims under camber links
1.5 camber
1ds block up front

Rear spring Blue/40 oil
Start with 4mm shims under camber links
2.0 camber
1e and xa rear.
I tried softer spring and oils and to no avail the car still spin out.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by miccal
What changes?
lowered the inside camber link in the front to 3mm and moved the rear shocks in one hole. Minor changes, but seemed to help on the track.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Please post your entire setup... And have you checked the car for anything broken or bent ? Hingepins etc ?

Originally Posted by Elijah
I had the worst weekend for the short time I have the 416WE. The first weekend the car was drivable but week after week the car became progressively worst, my rear end keep swinging out on the 180 deg corners, I tried different springs, oil's and setup and no help, it happen mostly on power exiting corners.

Spool
1.5 camber
1ds block up front

Rear spring Blue/40 oil
2.0 camber
1e and xa rear.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by artwork
Gotta try anything once, could have been the ticket. Nothing really wrong with the setup, but our track is very small and tight compared to what you guys have, so I needed a more responsive setup. Your setup was easy to drive and consistant, but I couldn't drive the car as hard as what our track requires, to slow a transition in the tight corners, but I can see where this would be a nice setup for a flowing type of track. Thanks for the setup though.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Elijah

Spool
1.5 camber
1ds block up front

Rear spring Blue/40 oil
2.0 camber
1e and xa rear.
I agree with Tim, please post your entire setup, on a sheet if possible and also what surface and class of motor your running.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Tomorrow should be a good day

Someone please update the thread title to Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.