Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
John,
You really should read and understand the posts better...Tony nowhere actually said that running -20 camber would actually be feasable, we could't actually achieve such a setting on the car for starters! What he's doing is very simplying using engineering principles to demonstrate the point, by taking an extreme example and showing what would happen with that. Being an engineer myself, it's very easy to spot that.

Your really trying to discuss three things;
Roll centre
Static camber
Camber gain

Now static roll centre position does have an influence on camber gain, as the link posiitions are used to calculate it. Changing your camber gain settings WILL alter your roll centre position. There are no two ways about it, as they both rely on the link angles. Static camber will not however influence roll centre, so the two can be considered mutually exclusive.
Now I mentioned before, the calculator is a guide, nothing more. Its there to give a comparison on settings, mainly as it only calculates the STATIC position only. There's no way I have the time to make one up to calculate the dynamic roll centre.

Your doing the same thing you did before with the flex topic... Trying to compare the real world with the small world, and completely forgetting about scale effects. You mention about audi's and subaru's in a previous post, but I very much doubt any of them would be able to top out at over 300mph, let alone corner at that speed.... Something else to bear in mind is that link positions are a lot easier to change on our cars, as we don't have to redisgning mounting points etc.
Instead of bagging the change as pointless, think of it as another weapon in the arsenal. I guarantee you'll feel a huge difference to the car.

Ed
Yeah I know .... I have a 416WE and a 415MSXX and did a comparison. Guess what ... there was NO DIFFERENCE! But no one wants to listen to me ... I was right on that instance too. THEY WERE BOTH THE SAME! I almost broke a car proving it to myself and kept the results to myself cause every one would just argue with me. One piece or two was the only difference....

As for scale speed , that is for entertainment purposes only.
Real world situations work perfectly in scale or F1 teams wouldn't do mock ups in wind tunnels in 5/8th scale. Want to argue about it again?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So, these past two pages of arguing were because John said "add camber to go faster" without qualifying it with "within the limits of reason" so that it is clear to people who are unfamiliar with setup? c'mon guys, there is a way to discuss a point that is constructive and helpful, and there's a way to make it into a ridiculous discussion - the second way isn't going to help anyone...
Old 04-30-2009, 10:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

It's real simple to have a final answer:

run on a track with timing

add your camber whatever
time

take out camber whatever
time

who wins: the fastest time

not hard
Old 04-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
It's real simple to have a final answer:

run on a track with timing

add your camber whatever
time

take out camber whatever
time

who wins: the fastest time

not hard

Maybe one day I will win Tryhard has all this killer info and I haven't made him look good yet You still racing this weekend???
Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Sometimes I think these guys like to whip on John over some past animosity, and not what he's saying lately.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

SMC
40C 4700mah LiPo Marc R Edition
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-4740cm%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 04-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Yeah I know .... I have a 416WE and a 415MSXX and did a comparison. Guess what ... there was NO DIFFERENCE! But no one wants to listen to me ... I was right on that instance too. THEY WERE BOTH THE SAME! I almost broke a car proving it to myself and kept the results to myself cause every one would just argue with me. One piece or two was the only difference....

As for scale speed , that is for entertainment purposes only.
Real world situations work perfectly in scale or F1 teams wouldn't do mock ups in wind tunnels in 5/8th scale. Want to argue about it again?
The reason for a mock up at 5/8ths scale is you wouldn't actually be able to get a wind tunnel to run at full speed on a 1:1 scale... the thing would rip itself apart. They still have to take into account scaling effects.. hence why a number of teams have issues with wind tunnel calibration, where by gains made in the tunnel weren't being replicated in full scale.

For the flex, lets just agree to disagree...

Moving on!
Old 04-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard
The reason for a mock up at 5/8ths scale is you wouldn't actually be able to get a wind tunnel to run at full speed on a 1:1 scale... the thing would rip itself apart. They still have to take into account scaling effects.. hence why a number of teams have issues with wind tunnel calibration, where by gains made in the tunnel weren't being replicated in full scale.

For the flex, lets just agree to disagree...

Moving on!
Speed ... no matter what scale is CONSTANT. If they want to test a 5/8th scale car it is still run at FULL SCALE speed. The only difference is the ratio of down force between scales. The rolling road and wind are both factored @ 100% or the test would be moot. Even a 10th scale T/C travels the same distance as you or I and the physics against mother nature are constant. You can say scale speed but for all practical purposes its meaningless.

Perhaps one day we may race and if you beat me .....
Old 04-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Has anyone got a good foam/carpet base setup? There's a big indoor meet coming up & I've never run foam on the rug
Old 04-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
SMC
40C 4700mah LiPo Marc R Edition
There is an LPR 5300 40c pack that has a translucent case and can be flipped over as well. Funny tho. after many hot debates on deans plugs and barrel connectors .... perhaps Danny has given in and done what I've been suggesting all along.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
There is an LPR 5300 40c pack that has a translucent case and can be flipped over as well. Funny tho. after many hot debates on deans plugs and barrel connectors .... perhaps Danny has given in and done what I've been suggesting all along.
um no, he went EFRA spec, barrel connectors
Old 04-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hebiki
Chris... TA05 milky white or all black sway bars work fine.

Speedtech has it in stock...
Milky white version:
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=461&id=7556

Black version:
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=459&id=5842 (not in stock though)

- Chris
With your info, i shot down to the mighty Speedtech and picked up the milky blue set and a few other goodies.

Thank you sir,
Chris
Old 04-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JayL
um no, he went EFRA spec, barrel connectors
I suggested universal connectivity and was outright chastised because the deans plugs were "better" . You think EFRA would want inferior technology as a standard? I didn't think so either. Tell me I'm wrong again! Go on!!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CraigM
Has anyone got a good foam/carpet base setup? There's a big indoor meet coming up & I've never run foam on the rug
I m using Jilles basic foam carpet set up. It worked for me. Though there are a few things that I change like I went back to 1C-1C at the front and I don't use the suggested Xray spring instead I use Kyosho springs.

Jilles Basic foam carpet set up
Old 04-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Setup

Just got a 415msxx,need a good starting setup for outdoor asphault,17.5.Sedan newb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.