Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X >

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Old 01-13-2008, 03:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default bushing

what happen if dont put bushing in the absorber?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

The way you can accurately balance the car is to use 4 scales. Place each wheel on the scale, and place the weights in the chassis to get the scale to read the same R/L.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:18 AM
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fadzli
what happen if dont put bushing in the absorber?
fadzli, some of these need you to try them out first; put the supplied bushings in...run a few laps, then remove the bushings....run few more laps to see the difference. If in doubt, run the standard setting as per manual.

my initial guess as to bushingless damper is the probability of bladder collapse
Old 01-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

is there a reason why u dont want to run with the bushing?
im sure its there for a reason.. ive not had any problems with the suspension. its standard and pretty good, however with every 8 runs or more, u will notice that the shock oil changing colour due to dirt.. depending how picky you are, for me i change it when it gets slightly dirty.

anyway, raced it recently, awesome performance.. my front allu shaft broke, so ive changed it to 46mm steel shaft with no prob. my C hub broke too. sigh, looks like i will be out of action for a few weeks. anyone knows if the c hubs and those screws that are connected to it, are they the same as TAO5ms c hubs? or are they only 416 type?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigbutstupid
is there a reason why u dont want to run with the bushing?
im sure its there for a reason.. ive not had any problems with the suspension. its standard and pretty good, however with every 8 runs or more, u will notice that the shock oil changing colour due to dirt.. depending how picky you are, for me i change it when it gets slightly dirty.

anyway, raced it recently, awesome performance.. my front allu shaft broke, so ive changed it to 46mm steel shaft with no prob. my C hub broke too. sigh, looks like i will be out of action for a few weeks. anyone knows if the c hubs and those screws that are connected to it, are they the same as TAO5ms c hubs? or are they only 416 type?

I never run the bushing when on carpet... Mainly came from a tip supplied to me when David Spashett was running the car. He recomended removing them from the shocks, as the reduce the pack in the shock, effectively smoothing out the action. It's a quick change to make, so give it a try for yourself

As for the C-Hubs. No, the 05MS ones are the same as the 415. The TA05 IFS does use the same types, but in a plastic, rather than graphite material.
If you want to get close, try 415 C-hubs, but with HPI front knuckles. It puts the axle at the same height as the 416, but the steering link ball joint is moved in and forward slightly.
I was running that combo today, as my spares hadn't arrived in time.... worked fine
Old 01-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

Congratulations to Victor Wilck and the 416 for the mod win at the DHI cup!!!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Champion

So, Back from my first big meeting with the 416.... Started off very ropey, but by the end of the day... awesome.

Had problems before the weekend even started, in that my spare C-hubs had arrived in time. Rigged up a fix with 415 C-hubs, and HPI steering knuckles, as mentioned above. Thankfully, this combo kept the axle at the same height, and the kingpin ball joint at the same height as the 416's parts. Only difference was with the steering ball joint position, with it being slightly further forward (effectively mid way between the tamiya holes), and slightly inward. There was also no need to run the 0.5mm shim under the ball joint, as the HPI hub is lower anyway. So with that sorted... onto the meeting.

Track for today at the wars was quite wide and open, so corner speed and a smooth car was really important...more so given that I was running stock...

Started out with the setup I posted above, except for kit setup on springs and roll bars. Quite simply, car was just, erm, awful.... Brought it off the track after practise, and a number of fellow racers noted how poor it looked, so not a good start. Snapping round, and had no confidence in it..

For the 1st qualifier, decided I needed to go drastic, so moved the setup towards what I had seen the TRF guys running at the DHI (wireless internet is so helpful )... so D/D on the front (using the 416 D on the front rear block, so only 3mm of shims ), longer front link, A/E on the rear (running stock, so 2° toe in only), and 3mm under the inner and outer ball joints on the rear links.

Next run, sorted. Car much better, but felt a little sliddy, and not locked into the track. So for the 2nd round, moved to Tamiya White/blues, and with just a soft front roll bar. Felt better, but I hadn't predicted the track rubbering in so well, so now lacked a little mid-corner speed... balls.

3rd round, raised the roll centres all round, by placing some 0.5mm shims under all the suspension blocks, as well as going up 2teeth on the spur to lower the FDR a little (keep the revs of the motor up mid corner)... better, corner speed was up, and balance really good.

Final round, went "sod it, need the corner speed", so put the stock roll bars back on the car. Much improved, and put in a good improvement... unfortuantly the pack was really close... was 10sec off TQ, and ended up 15th! Crazy... if I hadn't made two undforced errors and lost ~3sec, would have been the in A. Track really punished mistakes... oh well.

For the final, thought I'd try moving the rear shocks back to their stock position on the tower, to aid a bit of mid corner steering. Worked really well, and couldn't believe how good the car felt to drive. Rear end was really stable, but still had loads of steering, and corner speed.... all it need was a driver who could hold a line more consistently

So overall, really impressed with the 416. Needs a little work on teh setup to get it carpet ready IMO, but it is awesome when hooked up. Never had my 415 as handle as well. I now need more track time with the car, so I can get used to how the car drives... otherwise, no complaints, despite the poor start this morning

Anyway, setup sheet from today

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-carpet-wars-rd4.jpg  
Old 01-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

First the JMRCA and now the DHI Cup. Perfect start for the TRF416!!
2 wins out of 2 major event starts.

And notably by different drivers.
That goes to say that this is an awesome car.

We shall now see how the 416 performs in the heat of Bangkok in end Feb!

DHI Cup A Main Final Standings
1. Vicktor Wilck - 20pts (TRF416)
2. Teemu Leino - 17pts (T2 008)
3. Steen Graversen - 16pts (STALLION)
4. Ronald Volker - 16pts (CYCLONE)
5. Alexander Hagberg - 15pts (T2 008)
6. Marc Rheinard - 14pts (TRF416)
7. Juho Levanen - 13pts (TC5)
8. Jilles Groskamp - 7pts (TRF416)
9. Martin Hudy - 7pts (T2 008)
10.Andy Moore - 5pts (CYCLONE)

Congratulations to Vicktor and TAMIYA!

Last edited by CLK@racing; 01-13-2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Correction upon TryHard's sharp eyes
Old 01-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CLK@racing

However, both were on carpet. We shall see how the 416 performs in the heat of Bangkok on asphalt in end Feb!

DHI Cup A Main Final Standings
1. Vicktor Wilck - 20pts (TRF416)
2. Teemu Leino - 17pts (T2 008)
3. Steen Graversen - 16pts (STALLION)
4. Ronald Volker - 16pts (CYCLONE)
5. Alexander Hagberg - 15pts (T2 008)
6. Marc Rheinard - 14pts (TRF416)
7. Juho Levanen - 13pts (TC5)
8. Jilles Groskamp - 7pts (TRF416)
9. Martin Hudy - 7pts (T2 008)
10.Andy Moore - 5pts (CYCLONE)

Congratulations to Vicktor and TAMIYA!
Actually.... JMRCA was on indoor asphalt, not carpet... so 2 events, two differenet surfaces, and 2 different drivers.... cars a winner alright :P

And indeed, congrats to Victor and the rest of the TRF team! Great result
Old 01-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CLK@racing

It does. But it also say these drivers are quite good
Old 01-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Actually.... JMRCA was on indoor asphalt, not carpet... so 2 events, two differenet surfaces, and 2 different drivers.... cars a winner alright :P

And indeed, congrats to Victor and the rest of the TRF team! Great result

Ooops, my blunder.

JMRCA - Indoor Asphalt
DHI Cup - Indoor Carpet

Both were in cool conditions.

Now on to hot hot Bangkok, TITC 2008 - Outdoor Asphalt.

These are really exciting times for Tamiya!
Old 01-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It's encouraging to see the top drivers do so well with the 416. I'm looking forward to seeing their setups from the race, and what kinds of things they're doing. I've been running my 416 like crazy with CS27's on the rug, and feel like it's getting pretty close. I absolutely adore this car, it's by far my favorite sedan I've owned.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

I must say I drove Sydrome's car today, and it was awsome. I'll leave the funny part out though
Old 01-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smoke81
I must say I drove Sydrome's car today, and it was awsome. I'll leave the funny part out though
*sigh*

He took my car with a half-dead LiPo and turned the track record for fastest single lap on, like, his 4th try. :-( I think he's ready to sell the old busted RDX now, though. I still won the main. :-)
Old 01-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Yep for a new shiny feeeeeee... Err Phi...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.