Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Agree with Dane's comments, tho 2.5deg toe is fine for slower classes. What body do you run and what shims do you have on the bulkheads and uprights?

In addition to the tamiya springs I would start by raising all of the suspension blocks except the FF block by .5mm, which will raise your RC all round making the car more stable and giving more corner speed, and will give you the antidive I mentioned which will aid stability under brakes.
I'm running a HPI Corvette(200mm) body now, but will be switching to a Porshe 911(190mm) body soon. I will change the car according to you guys advice and hopefully will be giving it a good run on sunday. I will report back with how it goes. Thanks a lot for all the info. I can't recall what shims are on the links right now, i will check and get back on that.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Front camber link has 3mm shim on inner mount, rear link has 3mm shim inner and outer.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JCarr
Front camber link has 3mm shim on inner mount, rear link has 3mm shim inner and outer.
TBH running those bodies it's anyone's guess, after tyres body affects handling the most.

That said, 3/3mm at the back can make the rear snappy, 4mm on the bulkhead is more stable. Same at the front, 3mm is very aggressive, we normally run 5mm.

Give all that a go and find a body that has a decent front splitter and rear wing
Old 02-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CraigM
TBH running those bodies it's anyone's guess, after tyres body affects handling the most.

That said, 3/3mm at the back can make the rear snappy, 4mm on the bulkhead is more stable. Same at the front, 3mm is very aggressive, we normally run 5mm.

Give all that a go and find a body that has a decent front splitter and rear wing
Thank you very much, the funny thing is this is going back to the way I had the car when i first got it. Thanks again for all the help guys and I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Thanks guys for the set up help, that helped a great deal. I did everything that was suggested and the car was much better, but still a little loose. I moved the rear camber links to the inner most hole on the bulkhead and the inner hole on the upright and that locked the rear end in.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Has anyone sourced a longer hex ball end for the steering linkage? (The ball ends that connect the steering linkage to the toe tie rods).
Old 02-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dane
Has anyone sourced a longer hex ball end for the steering linkage? (The ball ends that connect the steering linkage to the toe tie rods).
Use the front kingpins, they are 9mm long steel and fluorine coated
Old 02-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi All,

New extra soft 416XS chassis is in stock;
http://www.exotekracing.com/416xs-extra-soft-chassis/

Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Adept

Default Smokem Lipo chassis x Exotek

Hi guys,

I need some advice from you, I have a TRF416X with the Smokem LP chassis (not on sale anymore), I am not sure but since I've changed to it felt that it is more difficult to find a good setup, with the original (broken) the car was really dialed out of the box, have to say, but as I had to change it went for the Smokem as the lipo kit from Tamiya was sold out and discontinued.

Now I am thinking of making a try with the Smokem FX or Exotek to find out if there is some good diference.

Below a picture of the track of my raceclub, we use the same circuit of the GP cars and it is counterclockwise, the straight is about 70 meters and we race here 10.5T motors.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Default Smokem Lipo chassis x Exotek

Hi guys,

I need some advice from you, I have a TRF416X with the Smokem LP chassis (not on sale anymore), I am not sure but since I've changed to it felt that it is more difficult to find a good setup, with the original (broken) the car was really dialed out of the box, have to say, but as I had to change it went for the Smokem as the lipo kit from Tamiya was sold out and discontinued.

Now I am thinking of making a try with the Smokem FX or Exotek to find out if there is some good diference.

On the Exotek side maybe will try the hard version of the chassis, I think there is too much flex on the Smokem and since the track got good grip I don't see the point of too much flex on it.

Would like to hear from the more experienced guys.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have a 416 with an Exotek chassis for sale for $250. It comes with a gear diff and original diff. rolling chassis only. If you're interested PM me.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Fabricio
Hi guys,

On the Exotek side maybe will try the hard version of the chassis, I think there is too much flex on the Smokem and since the track got good grip I don't see the point of too much flex on it.

Would like to hear from the more experienced guys.
The FX deck is quite good. If you are finding it stopping too much in corners then try and source another original deck. I always found the stiffer decks to be too stiff for asphalt, but the kit or tamiya lipo deck seem to be the best all round chassis.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I want to preface this post by saying I really hate knock-off products, but has anyone seen this 416 knock-off?

http://www.tradezz.com/buy_8654870_T...416-Chasis.htm

My LHS told me they're getting a few kits and selling them for $179 I didn't want to look through 700 pages to see if anyone was talking about these, but are they very close? I'm sure the quality is nowhere near Tamiya's.

I've heard of this Koko Technologies before, they also sell Align T-Rex 450 clones and the usual stuff.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M-chassisMark
I want to preface this post by saying I really hate knock-off products, but has anyone seen this 416 knock-off?

http://www.tradezz.com/buy_8654870_T...416-Chasis.htm

My LHS told me they're getting a few kits and selling them for $179 I didn't want to look through 700 pages to see if anyone was talking about these, but are they very close? I'm sure the quality is nowhere near Tamiya's.

I've heard of this Koko Technologies before, they also sell Align T-Rex 450 clones and the usual stuff.
this knock off has been talked about a lot.....the quality isnt close to the real Tamiya car. I have seen people use the car and its not bad for the price. its a good way to get people into the hobby with a cheap car that works well.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks for the insight, its about what I figured.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.