R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #10051
Tech Champion
 
geeunit1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The dirty burnie
Posts: 5,440
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
Thanks Mike. I'll take a look at the AE site. Hopefully, they provide published specifications for their springs.

Maybe someone else can address the importance of spring length???
+1 to what Johnny said, other than that, you just need an appropriate spring length for the application, ie, too long of a spring wont let you set ride height, etc.

AE will tell you spring rate, but that is it. A pair of their springs is only $3 or $5, so its worth a shot Its something ive always wanted to try at the C, I just dont get to run there often enough (or remember to get the springs to try )
__________________
Mike Gee

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #10052
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 1,499
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
If you have 2 springs rated the same but different lengths they should function the same, as long as the short spring does not compress so much that you run into coil bind issues. (The spring is so compressed that the coils touch and no longer allow for any compression.) Hope thats the answer you where looking for.
Thanks JW. Makes sense.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #10053
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northern Va
Posts: 507
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
I did a search on this thread looking for information regarding springs (over 20 pages), but I still need help (with springs ).

Questions:

1.) other than Tamiya, which manufacturers springs are a direct fit to my 416x shocks?

2.)I see suggestions referencing 19.5 spring stiffness, but I don't know which springs fit and have that stiffness.

3.)Is spring length important?

Tamiya has Red, Yellow, Blue, and White springs and they are available in "short" and a standard length??? Tamiya has a white spring set with red, yellow, and blue dot indicators. Tamiya has a black set with red, yellow, and blue dot indicators. Tamiya has a milky blue set with red, yellow and blue dot indicators. Are these all basically the same just in different colors?

Is there any advantage to using a short spring over a long spring?

Maybe we just need a tool for measuring spring stiffness.
HB/hpi springs should fit
M3dreamin2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #10054
Tech Elite
 
Toh WL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Setapak
Posts: 3,567
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

for example the tamiya white spring set has color dot obviously on the top & bottom. the setback is the paint can get peel off under normal operations. hence then u need to judge yourself on the stiffness. maybe can count the coils to remember which is which.

personally i prefer the older type with full color...
Toh WL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #10055
Tech Master
 
crabboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,996
Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)
Default

Yeah all the guys I run with use HPI springs also the Hara progressive springs also work good.

Rhys



Quote:
Originally Posted by M3dreamin2008 View Post
HB/hpi springs should fit
__________________
Rhys Marshall.
crabboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:45 AM   #10056
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
Yeah all the guys I run with use HPI springs also the Hara progressive springs also work good.

Rhys
The HPI springs work better with the roche retainers
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #10057
Tech Elite
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,062
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

On the Tamiya the Tamiya and HB springs work best. The HB springs tend to be a bit more linear then both the Tamiya and Hara spring sets. I would steer clear of the AE springs...they tend to be really inconsistent from spring to spring.

I prefer the HB springs on both carpet and asphalt.
__________________
Xray | Hudy | Sanwa | R1 Wurks | Avid | Protoform | Proline | 2mm Designs
artwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #10058
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 1,499
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Thanks guys for all of your follow-up responses on the subject of Springs.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #10059
Tech Addict
 
Mugen10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 551
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mugen10 Send a message via Skype™ to Mugen10
Default

3rd time post so I guess know one knows the ball bearing size that is used on the diff. outdrives for the 416X.
I know the part number for the tamiya # is 42115 but in the states it is hard to find without ordering.
__________________
Central Kentucky Racing
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Xray T4
Mugen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #10060
Tech Elite
 
M-Technic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,562
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen10 View Post
3rd time post so I guess know one knows the ball bearing size that is used on the diff. outdrives for the 416X.
I know the part number for the tamiya # is 42115 but in the states it is hard to find without ordering.
10mm inner diameter
15mm outer diameter
__________________
RCAmerica | Xray | Hudy | Radiopost | Speed Passion USA | Trinity | P3 Graphics
M-Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #10061
Tech Adept
 
jackdani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 198
Default

hi guys,

just posting here to have some advice...

i m wondering to change my mi4lp race version, which actually is the cheap one, with some good stuff as i started racing at my local track.

tought to go with the upcoming tc6, but now i m really considering even the trf 416...as i have the possibility to purchase it at a very good price.
i'm not sure about this decision, i would like to hear from you who have it, how the car goes and how good is built!
i dont have any information because here in italy this chassis is not so diffused, considering that 90% is xray...

furthermore i dont care about the trf417, becasue it would cost too muchanyway, and i was thinking how the lipo chassis for 416 goes!

if you all can give me a little advice i would br vary thankfull!!
jackdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #10062
Tech Addict
 
Mugen10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 551
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mugen10 Send a message via Skype™ to Mugen10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Technic View Post
10mm inner diameter
15mm outer diameter
Big Thaks!
__________________
Central Kentucky Racing
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Xray T4
Mugen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:56 AM   #10063
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kapiti, New Zealand
Posts: 134
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdani View Post
hi guys,

just posting here to have some advice...

i m wondering to change my mi4lp race version, which actually is the cheap one, with some good stuff as i started racing at my local track.

tought to go with the upcoming tc6, but now i m really considering even the trf 416...as i have the possibility to purchase it at a very good price.
i'm not sure about this decision, i would like to hear from you who have it, how the car goes and how good is built!
i dont have any information because here in italy this chassis is not so diffused, considering that 90% is xray...

furthermore i dont care about the trf417, becasue it would cost too muchanyway, and i was thinking how the lipo chassis for 416 goes!

if you all can give me a little advice i would br vary thankfull!!
Having recently changed from a TC5r to the 416x and buying the Tamiya lipo chassis upgrade all I can say is ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I shaved over a second off my lap times at my local track running 13.5/2.1 prostock Sp running the kit setup in the car. Only thing I changed was going to the HPI PRO4 springs, which is what most of the team drivers run, to pink fronts and silver rears on (low grip) outdoor ashphalt. The build was very good especially compared to the TC5 and the quality was exactly what you would expect (much higher) after spending alot more than other tc's on the market. Realisticly you dont need the 417 as the 416x with lipo chassis upgrade is pretty much a 417 short of a few more refinements.
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:03 AM   #10064
Tech Adept
 
jackdani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post
Having recently changed from a TC5r to the 416x and buying the Tamiya lipo chassis upgrade all I can say is ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I shaved over a second off my lap times at my local track running 13.5/2.1 prostock Sp running the kit setup in the car. Only thing I changed was going to the HPI PRO4 springs, which is what most of the team drivers run, to pink fronts and silver rears on (low grip) outdoor ashphalt. The build was very good especially compared to the TC5 and the quality was exactly what you would expect (much higher) after spending alot more than other tc's on the market. Realisticly you dont need the 417 as the 416x with lipo chassis upgrade is pretty much a 417 short of a few more refinements.
thanks very much, your experience is quiete similar to mine, i m running 13.5/2.1 sp too!

this is the one i shold buy...think it s not the "X" version right?
http://www.dmmodel.it/automodelli/au...amiya-416.html


do you think will worth the money, mayby with some upgrade, or it is too old?

and which is the lipo chassis, do you have a link?

thnaks very much
jackdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #10065
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default

Has anyone tried these? For $21.50 they may be worth a try if they work.


http://store.hkshobby.com/product_in...oducts_id=8273

__________________
☆ The Track @ Harbor Hobbies ☆ www.harbor-hobby.net ☆
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRF416 sim600 Malaysian R/C Racers 15 01-09-2010 11:08 AM
TRF416 speedart Electric On-Road 26 06-27-2007 04:28 AM
new joke cyber3d Chat Lounge 5 08-02-2006 02:52 PM
another joke, OH no! corvettecrazy Chat Lounge 0 01-10-2004 09:11 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:44 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net