R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #916
Tech Addict

How many of you guys are going to the DHI Cup in Denmark?
I'm really looking forward to participate in this race again

I know I've never been more confident with my car before going to a big race

I have built a spool for my 416 but havent had time to test it. So I'll start out with the base setup.
Weighted the car today. 1335g with transponder Now, where to place those pieces of lead.....
OleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #917
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miccal View Post
I have edited the TRF416 setup sheet and attached it as a png, since the pdf is too large to attach on rctech. If anyone wants the pdf, you can PM me your email.
I played with the setup sheet some more. I looked at the setup sheets for other cars such as the Cyclone and Xray and added some more things. Again, it is attached it as a png, since the pdf is too large to attach on rctech. If anyone wants the pdf, you can PM me your email.

Last edited by miccal; 01-20-2010 at 06:22 PM.
miccal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #918
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by miccal View Post
I played with the setup sheet some more. I looked at the setup sheets for other cars such as the Cyclone and Xray and added some more things. Again, it is attached it as a png, since the pdf is too large to attach on rctech. If anyone wants the pdf, you can PM me your email.
Great work on the setup sheet! The only thing that is missing in my opinion is shock rebound in percent just like on HB and xray sheets. This is far more important than spring collar.
Mr_Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:36 AM   #919
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Orange View Post
Great work on the setup sheet! The only thing that is missing in my opinion is shock rebound in percent just like on HB and xray sheets. This is far more important than spring collar.
I saw that on the Xray sheet (not on a cyclone sheet, though), but I am not sure what it is a measure of. Can you explain it to me?
miccal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:05 AM   #920
Tech Adept

Shock rebound is the amount that the shock shaft rebounds back when fully pushed in. The percent is of the full travel of the shock. An example of how it is set: lets say you want 25% rebound, push the shaft in 75% without the bladder attached and then put on the bladder and screw on the cap. Now you should have 25% of rebound.
Hope this explains it.
Mr_Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:33 AM   #921
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default set up

hi have question for set up sheet.

1. rear and front camber angle. most people write 1.5 deg. no plus or minus sign. is this for positive value?.

2. what does it means - piston 3 hole? when filling shock oil should the shaft be pulled outside 100%?

2. toe angle. only one toe angle value. is it for front or rear? still most dont wrtie minus or plus.

beginner question.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:37 AM   #922
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadzli View Post

1. rear and front camber angle. most people write 1.5 deg. no plus or minus sign. is this for positive value?.
Negative, always negative (top of tire leans in). Never seen a setup run positive camber.

Quote:
2. what does it means - piston 3 hole? when filling shock oil should the shaft be pulled outside 100%?
Simply the number of holes in the shock piston (i.e. Tamiya also make 2 hole ones)

Quote:
3. toe angle. only one toe angle value. is it for front or rear? still most dont wrtie minus or plus.
Toe angle is for the front, set by the steering links. The suspension blocks and rear hubs set the rear toe-in. I run 0deg so no is needed...

HiH
Ed
Old 01-07-2008, 04:51 AM   #923
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So reporting back on my racing yesterday....

Car felt good all day. Started out on with effectively kit setup, bar short arms. First run was good, car handling nicely, but seemed a little too stiff for the track conditions. Still snapping a little on some corners too.
Second run I changed to Tam White/Tam Blue F/R spings, with only a soft bar on the front. This combo felt a little softer (car seemed to be rolling a little more), but improved the feel and lap time, so stuck with that for the rest of the day.
Next run... not entirely sure about this one, as when I got back to the pits, I discovered I had knackered one of the front driveshafts, snapping one pin hole in the axle, and twisting the alloy dogbone. So took them out and put in 46mm steel ones from the 415. They fit, just, even with the kit blocks (B/A) and short arms... had to remove the o-ring from the outdrive first though.
I had made a change to the rear end with more rear toe-in (up to 2.5deg), and 1mm under the inner rear link. Not sure I can consider that run given I was 3WD for most of it :s

4th run, Up to 3deg rear toe-in now, and laid the rear shocks in. Certainly an improvement again... car seemed more stable on the rear end, but not at the expense of good front end response. Still having an issue with snap mid corner.

5th run. Decided to try a change to the front-end width, so went to C/B (used an old 415 block for C, and the 416 one for the B to clear the belt). Now, I would really liked to have tried C/C (losing the arm sweep), but didn't have an old 415 block modded to make it work properly with me... although as it turns out didn't really matter. Clipped the inside of the flat out sweeper about 1min30 in, and that bounced me out to a nice roll of tyres... cue a DNF due to a broken front C-Hub (annoyingly the only part I don't have a spare for yet... ). From the short time on track, the car did feel better again, more settled on the front, and almost eliminated the snap mid corner.

So end of the day, but overall a good positive feeling with the car. I think for next weekend I'm going to switch back to the stock spring / roll bar setup, as I'll be on a much bigger track, with a load more grip, so corner speed will be key (especially as I'll be running stock rather than 10.5 too).

Other things I want to try also are C/C and B/B on the front, and a longer front link. Hopefully that will settle the front a little even more, and make it fully stable mid corner. Other than that, I'm leaving as is for now

Cheers
Ed
Old 01-07-2008, 05:32 AM   #924
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadzli View Post
beginner question.
Beginner answers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RC_HandbookV3-2.pdf (199.5 KB, 432 views)
Arn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:56 AM   #925
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ed-

Do you think the issue with snappieness is arm sweep or front track width? I am not sure that I understand the effect of arm sweep, can someone please explain.

Thanks

Bob
Fastforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:16 AM   #926
Tech Adept

Default 19T Set-up

My 19T setup, carpet, 5 cell, rubber tires
Attached Files
File Type: pdf doc20080107151839.pdf (411.2 KB, 178 views)
C van der Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 AM   #927
Tech Adept

Default 3,5 BL set-up

3,5 BL set-up, 5 cell, rubber tyres
Attached Files
File Type: pdf doc20080107151912.pdf (401.2 KB, 183 views)
C van der Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:29 AM   #928
Tech Adept

Default help

when i accelerate (high throttle) the back side move/ slide to side. is it because of tyre alignment or diff?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:31 AM   #929
Tech Adept

Default help

when i accelerate (high throttle) the back side move/ slide to side. is it because of tyre alignment or diff slip? how tight should be the diff ?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 AM   #930
Tech Adept

Default help

when i accelerate (high throttle) the back side move/ slide to side. is it because of tyre alignment or diff slip? how tight should be the diff ?