R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2007, 03:53 AM   #646
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
yeah, all four holes have the same slop. I'm putting my old ones on and use these for emergency spares I guess

Also, the 0.5mm shims on the suspension shaft it too big and will bind. I had to use series of 0.1 shims to get it right.
So those spare arms finally come in handy! Finally get to all those spare arms.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:02 AM   #647
Tech Addict

The 46mm steel shafts are a close fit, but it works as long as you remove the o-rings. I bent both alu shafts after a short while but now I'm using 46mm steel shafts.

Regarding the motor mount. I think the reason for using the protrution and the center mounting hole is to avoid different flex characteristics left-to-right.
So if you use a spacer and the hole directly under the mount, you will mess with the flex characteristics. I think...

BTW: We have also experienced the slop in the arms that comes with the kit, and that the shimming is a little tight, especially in the front.
OleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #648
Tech Master

I guess this slop thing is quite common. I just hope all the new batches of arms aren't like this. It's pretty bad because it had almost the same slop as my mini. Maybe we should let tamiya know?
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #649
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

I should have what you would need to get it running again. I'll check when I get home. And yes...steel bones in the front and ti turnbuckles on the steering of Tamiyas is a must!
Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Let me know if the steel 46's work for you without the o-rings, I'll order some up right away. Before my mishap, even with the setup needing some help, the car felt much more stable than anything I'd driven before. I'm excited to get some more wheel time with it, and start getting the setup closer to my liking.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #650
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Last edited by syndr0me; 12-19-2007 at 11:11 AM. Reason: nm
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:40 PM   #651
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The 416 has finally landed at Speedtech. Anyone who rails on government inefficiency has obviously never dealt with Horizon, or they would be buying pizza for the local DMV workers...LOL

But hey...THEY'RE HERE (there actually) Jeff just sent me this pic from his phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-416_pile.jpg  
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #652
Tech Apprentice

Default re

Unfortunately i must agree with you guys, the arms in the kit seem to be a little sloppy. I as well swapped them out for new ones. As for the aluminum shafts, they were designed to be run on "curbed" tracks where there isnt any walls. I do realize that alot of you do race indoors and like someone mentioned above, steel 46mm will work better(from a reliability standpoint). I have been using aluminum 46mm shafts in foam modified, and its very rare when i bend one.

TAMIYA- www.tamiya.ca
LRP- www.lrp-electronic.de
Reedy batteries
Protoform- www.pro-lineracing.com
Parma- www.parmapse.com
APS racing- www.aps-racing.net
www.muchhobby.com
TRFwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #653
Tech Elite

When are they gonna re-open up preorders again so I can place mine for the next batch? Tell Steve W I said Hi.

Yokomo YRX12
Yokomo YZ-2 DT/CA
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #654
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
When are they gonna re-open up preorders again so I can place mine for the next batch? Tell Steve W I said Hi.
I just got off the phone with Jeff and he had a couple people cancel (out of 20+)...so I would hit him up ASAP if you want one out of this batch. He talked Tamiya America into air-freighting some of the first batch so the US didn't have to wait the extra month for them to arrive by outrigger canoe across the Pacific.

So if you want one NOW, hit him up ASAP.

I see Steve over there occasionally, but he has a new gig now. I think it's STRC or something similar. He's making parts rather than selling them...well...both, actually.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #655
Tech Elite

Wow, I stop racing RC for a few months and I find out SpeedTechRC changed hands. One of my main shops for ordering parts. Well I just got off the phone with Jeff. He's a pretty nice guy. So I'm sure he's gonna continue the great job Steve has done in the past.

Thanks for the tip Turbo Joe..

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell Jeff to change the phone number to place orders on the website... I'll send him a message...

Yokomo YRX12
Yokomo YZ-2 DT/CA
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:15 PM   #656
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Wow, I stop racing RC for a few months and I find out SpeedTechRC changed hands. One of my main shops for ordering parts. Well I just got off the phone with Jeff. He's a pretty nice guy. So I'm sure he's gonna continue the great job Steve has done in the past.

Thanks for the tip Turbo Joe..

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell Jeff to change the phone number to place orders on the website... I'll send him a message...
Oh...he knows. There's some drama going on with the hosting place.

Yeah, Jeff is a great guy. I drive about 45 minutes to buy stuff there. It's nice to see someone doing a job they enjoy.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #657
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default SpeedtechRC

Jeff actually called me tonight to tell me that my 416 has shipped and I should have it Friday. Just in time for the Holiday break.

How may other suppliers would call you to tell you your new kit has shipped.

Two thumbs up for great service. You have won my future business Jeff.

Bob DeGood
Fastforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #658
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFwhitey View Post
Unfortunately i must agree with you guys, the arms in the kit seem to be a little sloppy. I as well swapped them out for new ones. As for the aluminum shafts, they were designed to be run on "curbed" tracks where there isnt any walls. I do realize that alot of you do race indoors and like someone mentioned above, steel 46mm will work better(from a reliability standpoint). I have been using aluminum 46mm shafts in foam modified, and its very rare when i bend one.
There was a similar deal with the old arms (oldschool 415, evo3...) some being way to tight and others a little looser. It could be taken care of with a lighter. Also when using a spool or oneway the front alubones tends to twist weaking them further. I have an idea of trying out HPI cvds up front. Only need to change to hpi outdrives if using oneway or file some old delrin cups for the spool.
Mr_Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:10 AM   #659
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Just finished building my TRF416.

I had to add four extra 4mm shims to the center shaft to remove the slop. I don't see the need for bearing holders on the center shaft unless you need that flippable one to use larger spur gears.

I use the short reversible suspension arms, so I didn't notice the slop in the normal arms that came in the kit. I use 1C(old)/1B suspension mounts at the front and 1A/1D suspension mounts at the rear, and I used the spacers as in the manual with no binding - I just lightly tapped the suspension arms with the handle of my hex wrench until the suspension arms moved freely. See the "TECH TIP: Suspension Unbinding" post in the Xray forum at http://forum.teamxray.com/viewtopic.php?t=2872 to see what I mean.

The steering setup is a tight squeeze, but I don't have anything touching anything else. It is great that the steering mechanism has no slop, unlike my TRF415MS which I had to shim like crazy to remove most of the slop.

By removing the O-ring from the one-way cups you can use the steel 46mm swing shafts from the TRF415, at least until some steel 44mm ones become available. The new swing shafts are slightly thicker than the old ones, though.

I really like the new C-hubs, they aren't as wide as the TRF415 C-hubs and as such the steering is not limited by them. The old C-hubs fit, though, which is a bonus. The new wheel axles do fit into the TRF415 wheel hubs with the old bearings, which is also a bonus.

I think the rear diff can be improved slightly - I like that it can be externally adjusted and comes with an aluminum diff nut (finally!), but I don't like how the diff balls can be seen and hence are open to dirt - the TRF415MSX MRE-onwards "sealed" diff was much better. Also, the inner hole of the diff plates should be molded to the diff joints instead of being circular, like in the TRF415.

I have noticed that the belt stabilizer doesn't actually touch the belt, is that normal? I assume it will touch the belt when the car is moving?

The car went together really well and I am extremely happy with it - already sold my trusty TRF415MS. Things to look forward to - steel 44mm swing shafts, aluminum rear hubs, molded diff plates, improved/"sealed" diff pulley, and the Novak GTB/13.5 brushless system sitting under my Christmas Tree!

Last edited by miccal; 01-20-2010 at 06:25 PM.
miccal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:02 AM   #660
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post

But hey...THEY'RE HERE (there actually) Jeff just sent me this pic from his phone.

Mine is on the way!!.......... Thanks Jeff!!.......... Can't wait!

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway / Team Downgrade Designs
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote