Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

That's them.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #6138
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yep the slipper diff will be for the front, john, sidecar i'll have a pic up soon with the parts all out then a full build look as well. i tried it out last saturday and it works awesome! for now im going to the beach laterz
Old 08-01-2009, 08:36 AM   #6139
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic31 View Post
yep the slipper diff will be for the front, john, sidecar i'll have a pic up soon with the parts all out then a full build look as well. i tried it out last saturday and it works awesome! for now im going to the beach laterz
I thought so, really the slipper diff's drive like spools, but on impact they will give, rather than being solid, so you save your universals and outdrives.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #6140
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
... the slipper diff's drive like spools, but on impact they will give, rather than being solid, so you save your universals and outdrives.
That's what I thought too, which is why it is difficult to envisage why they would allow the same turn in as a ball diff. Sure, I can imagine there would be some point where if you try long enough you can have your slipper give in turns and lock on straights but I would imagine it is a much more delicate adjustment than a straight ball diff simply because friction on the slipper pads is higher than on rolling balls (which is why you have to tighten a ball diff a lot to lock it).

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #6141
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Yupp! I going to build a spliff for the front with Traxxas #4685 friction pegs where the 3mm balls went. Sounds like a great place for the old thrust ball and rings too! No more chewed up drive dogs either.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #6142
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
That's what I thought too, which is why it is difficult to envisage why they would allow the same turn in as a ball diff. Sure, I can imagine there would be some point where if you try long enough you can have your slipper give in turns and lock on straights but I would imagine it is a much more delicate adjustment than a straight ball diff simply because friction on the slipper pads is higher than on rolling balls (which is why you have to tighten a ball diff a lot to lock it).
The only reason a diff works is because it has balls, or gears that will allow the outdrives to spin in opposite directions around corners. The pegs will either slip, or not slip depending on how tight they are. It won't just allow one of the outdrives to slip around a corner without slipping in a straight line when the car is on power.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #6143
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
The only reason a diff works is because it has balls, or gears that will allow the outdrives to spin in opposite directions around corners. The pegs will either slip, or not slip depending on how tight they are. It won't just allow one of the outdrives to slip around a corner without slipping in a straight line when the car is on power.
Right,,, its just a buffer to remove the shock of instant stops from crashing. The bones, output drivers, axles... the entire drive line is isolated from damage by ... oh hell you get it right!
Old 08-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #6144
Tech Master

I've been running a slipper spool for 6mo. now, and it never came loose on me. I really should be maintaining it, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I used the three extra holes in the inner part of the pulley. you will need to shave some materials off to get them into the hole, and make sure you shave the flat side so you still have a diff function(about 3.0-3.1mm)

I've read somewhere that Kawada makes slipper pegs to the correct dimensions. Anyone seen these?

Weight wise, it was surprisingly only about a couple grams heavier.

On a side note, do you guys use the softer TA05 IFS-R c-hubs for prefer the stock ones? The IFS-R ones have give, but gives so much that it tears the bottom screw out of the knuckle. And the c-hub won't go back to its original dimension, giving the knuckle huge play. Then again, it wouldn't have mattered if it was a crash that big...
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #6145
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
I've been running a slipper spool for 6mo. now, and it never came loose on me. I really should be maintaining it, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I used the three extra holes in the inner part of the pulley. you will need to shave some materials off to get them into the hole, and make sure you shave the flat side so you still have a diff function(about 3.0-3.1mm)

Weight wise, it was surprisingly only about a couple grams heavier.

On a side note, do you guys use the softer TA05 IFS-R c-hubs for prefer the stock ones? The IFS-R ones have give, but gives so much that it tears the bottom screw out of the knuckle. And the c-hub won't go back to its original dimension, giving the knuckle huge play. Then again, it wouldn't have mattered if it was a crash that big...
I use the softer IFS ones ,, try using a longer screw.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #6146
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
I use the softer IFS ones ,, try using a longer screw.
ok, I just sanded down a regular steel screw to 11mm (end to end) and pretty much filled the entire hole. The standard one that goes in there is 9.6mm so I gained about 1.4mm of thread which should hold stronger to a point...
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #6147
Tech Addict

whosever gonna build a slipper diff... when i ran mine i checked it before and after every race and i can tell you that with a 10.5 or higher (13.5, 17.5 etc.) it doesnt slip as much as one would think. try it with the traxxas pegs or with associated slipper pads, i use the assoc. slipper pads and it works very well for me. what you need... outdrives(51342), thrust bearing assembly and screw and nut(51341,9949300), for the spring use thick washer about 2-3mm, and for the pads either use associated pads or the traxxas pegs(i heard they need to be shortened which is a pain in da ass cause you need to measure them for same length) on the thrust bearing coat it with assoc. black grease and on the thrust screw light coat of gorilla glue. put it all toghether and it should work perfectly. remember no diff rings and no diff balls duh
Old 08-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #6148
Tech Addict

here you go

Last edited by sonic31; 10-21-2009 at 04:40 PM.
sonic31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #6149
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
ok, I just sanded down a regular steel screw to 11mm (end to end) and pretty much filled the entire hole. The standard one that goes in there is 9.6mm so I gained about 1.4mm of thread which should hold stronger to a point...
My kit came with 8mm ones there..
I put in the 10mm and have pretty lucky with it.
The WE caster blocks are way too brittle for my car. :P
Old 08-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #6150
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic31 View Post
whosever gonna build a slipper diff... when i ran mine i checked it before and after every race and i can tell you that with a 10.5 or higher (13.5, 17.5 etc.) it doesnt slip as much as one would think. try it with the traxxas pegs or with associated slipper pads, i use the assoc. slipper pads and it works very well for me. what you need... outdrives(51342), thrust bearing assembly and screw and nut(51341,9949300), for the spring use thick washer about 2-3mm, and for the pads either use associated pads or the traxxas pegs(i heard they need to be shortened which is a pain in da ass cause you need to measure them for same length) on the thrust bearing coat it with assoc. black grease and on the thrust screw light coat of gorilla glue. put it all toghether and it should work perfectly. remember no diff rings and no diff balls duh
To quote Bo and Luke whilst riding captive...
"No Balls!"