R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #601
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to buboy28 Send a message via Yahoo to buboy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughbeard View Post
Well Finally my car arrived

To compare it with the MRE, I am a little disappointed actually. Not that I do not have the parts to remedy the unhappiness it is just that Seeing what comes out off MRE makes me wonder why they excluded it here in the kit with almost the same price tag...

First the good bits...

1. I had been trashing every forum I am a part of about changing back to larger Axle bearings... Finally someone listened for a change... Hoooraaaayyy no more 9x5 stupidity...

2. A more flexing chassis design. No more jumping through all sorts of loops to make the car handel with harder tires... (at least I am hoping not much LOL)

3. the usual titanium coated hinge pins and shock shafts.

4. New black TRF shack bodies.

5. New bearing carries for the diffs which give more adjustments.

6. new CF parts. 37T diff gears (Rear Ball, Front oneway), 18T centers, 105T spur standard.

7. New steering (the bellcranks look the same)

But of all these improvements the only reason that made me buy the 416 is teh 5x10 axle bearings.

Now the complaints:

1. For a 4oo usd car you expect better finish on the metal parts... I loved the way teh MRE parts looked all shiny and the car looked and still looks like out of a scifi movie.. the 416 looks unrefined, parts are sand blasted before anodizing them so they look rough and dull.

and that motor mount looks awful. The TB-02 motor mount looks light years better than this. It looks more like a prototype part made for testing

You can actually tell which parts came for the 415 and which are new by looking at the shine of the color... I will send the parts to get re anodized before the season starts... I wouldnt wanna be seen with those

2. Here is a big one... No titanium screw set. Wierd... glad I have enough to use for this car..

3. big box no body waste of shipping charges for many people... the box is very very empty... first I thought they forgot to put some stuff in... this is all you get

I am anxious to build the car and compare it to the MRE. but looking at it mechanically I am sure it will do excellent.

I am totally satisfied with the improvements made mechanically.

Ans I totally hate what Tamiya has done to the car cosmetically.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, looks like i have to wait for the MS or MRE version
buboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:15 PM   #602
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
So here you are telling me you aren't getting one.... And now you are?? What's up with that!! Is it because I'm gonna get one next year? Huh??!! Punk!! And if you get it... make sure you let me know so I can check it out!!

Oh, and I still need to contact Tamiya. They STILL haven't sent me my gold medal from July!! Who did you email at Tamiya USA? Fred? Those bastards owe me the medal. Hell, I donated the car kit back to the raffle. If I don't get my medal... I'm keeping it the kit next time!!

I was waiting for the Yen to Drop a little more if It does not go up first......Plus I sold the PHI that will help maintain the collection.....If I get it I will let you drive it at TCS if you give me your SC Body, I am going to power the EVO5 this year. About your medal I will forward you my contact.......And you have a good heart for donating you winnings.....As you can see I kept my winnings.....
m3ndo5a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:06 PM   #603
Suspended

nice.....
ocktoberfest00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:29 PM   #604
Tech Regular

Hy all!

Yesterday at a race meeting here in Austria i have seen the 416 from the austrian Tamiya factory driver Hubert (Hupo) Hönigl.

It lloks very very good. The fit in of a standard servo, with the sanwa RX341 and a LRP TC spec speedo is no problem.

I talked a little bit to him and he said that the old 415 is not longer needed for carpet.

As i asked him what he think how it will perform on tarmac, he said only: "It will be a weapon".

I think this is a very good statement.

By the way, he had already installed the new 416 spool from Tamiya.

Greetings from Austria
Old 12-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #605
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueman Austria View Post
Hy all!

Yesterday at a race meeting here in Austria i have seen the 416 from the austrian Tamiya factory driver Hubert (Hupo) Hönigl.

It lloks very very good. The fit in of a standard servo, with the sanwa RX341 and a LRP TC spec speedo is no problem.

I talked a little bit to him and he said that the old 415 is not longer needed for carpet.

As i asked him what he think how it will perform on tarmac, he said only: "It will be a weapon".

I think this is a very good statement.

By the way, he had already installed the new 416 spool from Tamiya.

Greetings from Austria
Did you take pictures of his car? Please share!
Kenneth Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 PM   #606
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Tan View Post
Did you take pictures of his car? Please share!
No sorry!

But it was a pre-series kit. only the spool, and the short rev. arms where different from the kit version.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:14 AM   #607
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastforward View Post
I work for a manufacturing company and I can appreciate the difficulties in getting that many parts to come together to meet a release date. I would suspect that there was a problem with the motor mount and somebody made the decision not to delay the release and prep the motor mount by blasting so that it would take the inodize.

I am sure that the motor mount will function properly and it the car is as good as we all hope that it is we will forget about this detail very quickly.
Maybe this also explains why the preproduction cars and the frontpage of the manual show the car with alu bearing holder for the layshaft bearing. It wouldnt surprise me if this is why the layshaft is so sloppy with the manuals shimming.
Mr_Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:41 AM   #608
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Delivered to Kansas this morning at 10:30AM from Champ. I'm going to get some caffeine in me and start the build.

My HSR-8498HB connectors also finally showed up, which is perfect timing. If you're not afraid to rewire your electronics, these are the shiz since the wires are all black.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.aspx?productID=488

I ordered them from here, since they let you get more than one at a time.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #609
Tech Master

I'll only care about the finish on the motor mount if it makes me a better driver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ndo5a View Post

I am the type of person who cannot stand to have a door ding in on my car...most people can live with that, me.....I will take it to the shop and have it removed at once.
I know someone who repaints his hood everytime a rock chips the paint. He had it repainted twice in a month... seesh
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:33 AM   #610
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
I'll only care about the finish on the motor mount if it makes me a better driver...

I know someone who repaints his hood everytime a rock chips the paint. He had it repainted twice in a month... seesh
yes thats worth atleast .1 to .2 seconds per lap
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:34 AM   #611
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Delivered to Kansas this morning at 10:30AM from Champ. I'm going to get some caffeine in me and start the build.

My HSR-8498HB connectors also finally showed up, which is perfect timing. If you're not afraid to rewire your electronics, these are the shiz since the wires are all black.

you lucky b@$&!%
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #612
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post

Toughbeard.... the MRE was a special case, in that it was essentially a fully hopped up version... and was the only kit to come with Ti Screws. All the other kits came/come with steel screws. At least the air duct is included with this car, unlike the MRE! As for the motor mount... hell, if it works, who cares!

Regards
Ed
thats why I said I am totally satisfied with it mechanically I really dont give a rats arse about its looks. as long as it drive well

the sad part is I cant touch the kit yet as I am going on a road trip and as a bonus it started snowing

oh well...
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #613
Tech Lord

Oh man, I had to stop the build to eat a snack. I nearly passed out. :-)

Tamiya knows how to make a damn diff! I'm impressed with that the most, so far. Everything is beautiful, though. The instructions are kind of janky, but enough to get the job done.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #614
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post

When did champ send your kit out? I've sent them paypal and am waiting to hear back from champ about my order.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #615
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
When did champ send your kit out? I've sent them paypal and am waiting to hear back from champ about my order.
Thursday or Friday I think? They replied with a tracking number once I emailed letting them know I'd sent the PayPal.