R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #5536
Tech Initiate

Default Pinion gear size need help

I m using Ezrun 9T motor 4300KV.

What is the best size of pinion gear that i should use pls??

Is 32t pinion good enuff?
chinkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #5537
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkw1 View Post
I m using Ezrun 9T motor 4300KV.

What is the best size of pinion gear that i should use pls??

Is 32t pinion good enuff?
I posted the same info on page 366 post #5486
Old 05-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #5538
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Look fellas.. All you need to do is run a few calculations.
First of all it's important to know the size and type of track you are running on. you need to know the terminal velocity you want for the straight. Use miles or kilometers , it only changes the figures you use in calculating.
Measure the diameter of your tires and multiply it by 3.14 (pi).... right it down.
Calculate your roll out.
Miles per hour needs to be broken down to smaller increments like feet per second. One MPH is 88 feet per minute.
If you motor makes 4000 k/v then multiply by the nominal voltage of your battery.. li-po is 7.4v that would be 29,600 rpm's.
multiply that by the roll out and divide by 88.
Or just take the roll out and the max rpm and divide by 88 for mph.
Its easier than it looks.
Distance is Rate times Time
hence MPH.... simple
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #5539
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Just found out the NT1 gear diff has 41 teeth, not sure how people were fitting that into the car as RC Market said???
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #5540
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Well guys, I had a great weekend of racing with the 416 coming away with the Superstock (10.5) title at the MuchMore Masters event. It helped that it was held at my home track, but Iíll take the win nonetheless. I had the fastest car all weekend but didnít put it to good use in qualifying ending up 3rd on the grid, but was solid in the finals with a 2nd, 1st, and 3rd. Iíve attached my setup which is basically the same as the base asphalt setup but with unique shock setup. All weekend everyone was saying how good my car was, I had comments like it has the perfect amount of steering, not too much grip, carries awesome corner speed, is the quickest in transitions, etc, etc. For anyone running med grip asphalt the setup is weapon fast.

I also got to test a couple things over the weekend. I tested the Speed 6 and LTC-R back to back & they were similar on pace, but the Speed 6ís greater stability made the car understeer & caused bad wear on the front tyres. I could have changed my setup to compensate but I stuck the LTC-R on and the steering came back so stuck with that all weekend. I also ran my fastest ever lap at the track using an LRP motor (I always thought novaks were the gun), and I was running alloy knuckles and rear uprights so there might not be much truth to the ďplastic goes fasterĒ mentality. Maybe I would have been even faster with plastic parts and a novak motor but hey it was enough on the day
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-craigm-2009-muchmore-masters-sma-20090524.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #5541
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Congrats on your win Craig!
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #5542
Tech Master

congrats on the win

got a Question boys

i was testing ready for the Euro's at Apeldoorn NL on sunday , a couple of the local boys had less spacers in the steeing (more ackerman i think)

what will this make the car do ??

got lots of steering but not a lot of rear grip

set up as per Jilles asphalt but 1.5 camber all round (rear tyres wern't wearing on the outside with 2 )

hope you can help

cheeRS phil

Last edited by sidecarphil1; 05-25-2009 at 02:39 PM.
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #5543
Tech Champion

More ackerman will give you more steering on corner exit. Try run d/d at the front, I'd also go softer on the oil and harder on springs - go hpi's if you have them
Old 05-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #5544
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
More ackerman will give you more steering on corner exit. Try run d/d at the front, I'd also go softer on the oil and harder on springs - go hpi's if you have them

Congrat to you...
question about your set up...why HPI shock spring?? why not Tamiya?
what HPI LBS spring will would be in Tamiya spring chart?

AE 12R5.1,Tekin RS PRO
17.5 super stock T.O.P PHOTON , TAMIYA M05 Mini
CEFX.. High Velocity Racing Motor
Goingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #5545
Tech Elite

What is the latest Rubber tires set up in GT1 or GT2 everyone is using in TCS?

AE 12R5.1,Tekin RS PRO
Old 05-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #5546
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingfast View Post
What is the latest Rubber tires set up in GT1 or GT2 everyone is using in TCS?
Really depends on the surface you race on & the conditions. The Type A & B3 are really the best tires available for TCS racing(the Type A's are the softer of the two), but the B3 is meant more for high temperatures than the A's are(the box that B3's come in explain the temp range for both B3's & A's), but certain times, like on a slick surface, you'll wanna use Type A's anyway. That's what I had to do at the Omaha TCS, I would've liked to run B3's on both of my cars(I ran GT3 with silver can motors & my 416WE in GT1 with a 13.5 brushless), & while I could get by with B3's in the GT3 car, I just couldn't put the power down with them on my 416, so I had to use the A's on it all weekend(& had to make a setup compromise or two to get the car controllable, like going to 3.5 degrees of rear toe in, definitely added some drag, but it was neccessary). On my home track though(where we have a bit more of a groove in the carpet), B3's work just fine, & outside on asphalt(especially now that the heat will make for track temps near or above 100 degrees), B3's are just about the only tire that will hold up for 5 minutes. So it really depends on what your situation is as to which tire is best.....
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:19 PM   #5547
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
My experience with Ackerman was more of it gave me more mid-corner and less sensitivity while going straight. A lot depends on weather you are running a spool , diff or a one way. I do not agree with you more exit statement. The measurement is with the wheels fully locked one way or the other and is the difference in angle of the two is Ackerman. A bigger difference is best used on tight tracks and less on more open swoopier tracks.
Using lots of it on loose or low grip tracks would be treacherous. Not having enough on a tight track would make you wait for the car to rotate mid-corner when the steering is at full deflection.... that is if you get that far.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #5548
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingfast View Post
Congrat to you...
question about your set up...why HPI shock spring?? why not Tamiya?
what HPI LBS spring will would be in Tamiya spring chart?
I seem to answer this question a lot, I should really save the part numbers The HPI springs you want are the pro-linear silver and blue, silver is the harder of the two but they are each rated between Tamiya white and blue. As the name suggests, they are linear in their compression, while the tamiyas are progressive (start softer and get harder the more they compress). On asphalt, the HPI's make the car more predictable in the transition from grip to slip, which makes the car faster overall and easier to drive on the limit
Old 05-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #5549
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob View Post
Really depends on the surface you race on & the conditions. The Type A & B3 are really the best tires available for TCS racing(the Type A's are the softer of the two), but the B3 is meant more for high temperatures than the A's are(the box that B3's come in explain the temp range for both B3's & A's), but certain times, like on a slick surface, you'll wanna use Type A's anyway. That's what I had to do at the Omaha TCS, I would've liked to run B3's on both of my cars(I ran GT3 with silver can motors & my 416WE in GT1 with a 13.5 brushless), & while I could get by with B3's in the GT3 car, I just couldn't put the power down with them on my 416, so I had to use the A's on it all weekend(& had to make a setup compromise or two to get the car controllable, like going to 3.5 degrees of rear toe in, definitely added some drag, but it was neccessary). On my home track though(where we have a bit more of a groove in the carpet), B3's work just fine, & outside on asphalt(especially now that the heat will make for track temps near or above 100 degrees), B3's are just about the only tire that will hold up for 5 minutes. So it really depends on what your situation is as to which tire is best.....
What happen to the B2 tire? Thank for your input...

AE 12R5.1,Tekin RS PRO
Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #5550
Tech Elite

Quote:
I seem to answer this question a lot, I should really save the part numbers The HPI springs you want are the pro-linear silver and blue, silver is the harder of the two but they are each rated between Tamiya white and blue. As the name suggests, they are linear in their compression, while the tamiyas are progressive (start softer and get harder the more they compress). On asphalt, the HPI's make the car more predictable in the transition from grip to slip, which makes the car faster overall and easier to drive on the limit
Thanks

AE 12R5.1,Tekin RS PRO