Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
The Tamiya axles have 4 holes for the drive pin on the universal. If one pair of the holes should wear out, just use the other pair of holes rather than replacing the axle.
the axles have 4 holes drilled for the drive pin? Why would the steel axle hole wear? Have you guys ever seen the pin holes wear? Ive never worn out a steel axle before

ive seen bent steel universals, broken cross joint pins, etc, but worn holes?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
the axles have 4 holes drilled for the drive pin? Why would the steel axle hole wear? Have you guys ever seen the pin holes wear? Ive never worn out a steel axle before

I've seen a pin rip through before. Someone did it to one of mine when driving my car. I was relieved to find there was another set of holes.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
I've seen a pin rip through before. Someone did it to one of mine when driving my car. I was relieved to find there was another set of holes.
I had a pin slide out of one side and the bone beat the axle (cvd cup) to death before the race was over.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Maybe things happen faster for me because I am running low turn motors, but there isn't a moving part on any car that I can't wear out. The axles will take a lot longer than the other parts will to wear, but they still do get a lot of strain put on them, especially the fronts. Good rule of thumb would be to switch to the 2'nd set of holes when you replace the driveshaft and coupler/pin.

That 2'nd set of holes aren't there for looks.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Maybe things happen faster for me because I am running low turn motors, but there isn't a moving part on any car that I can't wear out. The axles will take a lot longer than the other parts will to wear, but they still do get a lot of strain put on them, especially the fronts. Good rule of thumb would be to switch to the 2'nd set of holes when you replace the driveshaft and coupler/pin.

That 2'nd set of holes aren't there for looks.
weight savings

I have had the hole get alittle play as well, switched and it tightened right up
Old 05-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Diff outdrives wearing out? Just replace the blades on your universals and the outdrives will last forever. The axles have 4 holes instead of 2, so rather than replacing them, Tamiya gives you the option to move the pin to the other hole and basically have a brand new axle for free.

Xrays have four holes too. Come to think of it all the cars I have seen do.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

this is the part were talking about right? so the cup has 4 holes drilled?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

That's what I understand.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

this is the part were talking about right? so the cup has 4 holes drilled?
That may be an old picture because it looks like there's only 2. Any you buy now will have 4 holes though.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

All of mine have 4 holes. I'll post pics if I got back downstairs tonight.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That may be an old picture because it looks like there's only 2. Any you buy now will have 4 holes though.
Correct, any of them that I've bought in recent months have 4 holes, & the guys are right, the extra ones DO come in handy. I've also ripped one on ocassion, & I could keep using it just by switching to the other set of holes.....
Old 05-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Correct, any of them that I've bought in recent months have 4 holes, & the guys are right, the extra ones DO come in handy. I've also ripped one on ocassion, & I could keep using it just by switching to the other set of holes.....
I blew by Randy so fast that I had to go to the extra set to get rid of the play

....man am I going to get it now.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

In my experience it is the little pin that wears out not the holes in the axle, so I would check those too. The axle should be a higher grade steel so it should wear down a lot less than the pin. What I do at first is turn the pins around so the part that pushes against the hole is fresh and swap driveshafts left to right. That is because the pins wear only on the half that pushes against the hole, not all the way around. Same goes for the large cylinder the pin goes through.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
For us in Australia everything is even more expensive to buy since we don't have a Xray importer and we have a crap Tamiya importer (I don't think 416 ever came officially to Australia).
Not too sure where you live, but Custom Model Cars is the Oz Xray importer, and Toy Traders (Tamiya Importer) don't bring TRF in because of Tamiya Japan's wholesale pricing structure that means they are priced out of the market when compared to Japanese and HK retailers that ship here... well thats what they say anyway - I know of a large hobby shop that enquired about picking up TRF only and TT told them to "go away"... or words to that effect
Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CraigM
Not too sure where you live, but Custom Model Cars is the Oz Xray importer, and Toy Traders (Tamiya Importer) don't bring TRF in because of Tamiya Japan's wholesale pricing structure that means they are priced out of the market when compared to Japanese and HK retailers that ship here... well thats what they say anyway - I know of a large hobby shop that enquired about picking up TRF only and TT told them to "go away"... or words to that effect
I live in Perth.
About xray, I am not sure the company you named is officially the xray importer (i.e. has a contract of exclusivity with Xray) because we have a numebr of people here in WA who import xray stuff and sell it in their shops.

As for TT they are just revolting to deal with. Six month waiting for spares order through your local hobby shop would push anyone out of the hobby altogether. And the excuse with the Japanese wholesale pricing I think is just baloney. if that was the case, everybody would be priced out of the market and the entire world would buy Tamiya off HK shops on the web.

My personal opinion is that it is the Australian import charges plus the Australian parallel import legislation plus Australian pricing structure (read huge overheads) that drives prices up in Oz, not anything else. That is based on prices for other cars like the Avid and Xray that come from Europe and have huge prices here, so TT excuse doesn't play here. If you look at it it is cheaper to buy stuff like this everywhere overseas rather than in Australia. It is only shipping and our weak currency that keeps us from buying from Europe directly for instance but on occasions (when our dollar goes up) it actually tips the balance (I have bought a lot of stuff from Europe that way when our dollar was higher). That's why I think TT is just lame and they should just leave us alone and let someobody else pick up the import license from Tamiya. Numerous hobby shops around here have just given up on stocking anything Tamiya for that reason. Ultimately i see Tamiya will just lose interest in our market (which is small to begin with) and won't bother anymore. That will be a chance for somebody else to pick up the contract and do a proper job of it. I just hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.