Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
More Achermann means more mid corner... yes its measured at full lock too.
Thanks John. Come to think of it though, I reckon Ackermann should impact on entry and exit as well. For example:

Turn-in.In theory, the outside tyre will have the most load. So less Ackermann means more turn angle on the outside wheel. The inside wheel has little load so will scrub first. I know this is the case because I have been doing some testing with hole 1 on the steering knuckle.

Mid Corner. Felt like I had a little less steering which supports what your view.

Exit. Again felt like I had more steering as I had to makes changes to improve rear traction out of corners.

This is an interesting discussion guys. Really livening things up in this thread in a positive way!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

any of your guys tryed an very tight diff in front of the car for
rubber carpet???
I saw someone doin this and they said it's better then an 1 way or spool
Old 03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Bear in mind that the links angle differently on the Xray compared to the Tam... I.e. moving it forward on the inner piviot on the Xray gives more of a link angle, moving it back less.

Adding more angle to the link is effectively the same as shortening at full lock. So adding more angle to them does two things... reduces the steering angle of the outer wheel, and increases the angle of the inner wheel. So putting more angle on the links (losing spacers on the Tam), will give a bigger Ackerman angle. Good guide to what ackerman does is here

http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/ackerman.html

Ackerman is strictly a lateral change, if you change the ball studs in hieght, your adjusting the bump steer characteristics, i.e. how much the steering turns under suspension compression.

HiH
Ed
Actually, when I first played with Ackermann on the 416, I added shims to the point that the ball studs almost rubbed the suspension block so that my steering rods would angle back. So I was going for the same effect. But then I started playing with removing shims to angle the rods forward.

What I should have done was measure the steering on inside wheel vs. outside wheel with both settings to see the difference. Then record the effect on the track.

Anyways, I think it's a setting a lot of people don't play with. I find that playing with Ackermann helps you out when you can't get the car to do what you want it to do.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Vicko
any of your guys tryed an very tight diff in front of the car for
rubber carpet???
I saw someone doin this and they said it's better then an 1 way or spool
Actually, I found it helps a lot on very small tight parking lot tracks. Never tried it on rubber tire carpet though. Seems to have awesome turn in and mid corner, but not the pull out of a corner like a spool or oneway. I guess going tighter would help with that. Maybe a spiff would help with this.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default front swing shafts

hi

I plannis to change the aluminum front swing shafts for steel ones ( more durable) of rf 416 wc...

does steel swingshafts exist for trf 416 wc?
does this car fits lipo?

thanks

Max
Old 03-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by maxrcp
hi

I plannis to change the aluminum front swing shafts for steel ones ( more durable) of rf 416 wc...

does steel swingshafts exist for trf 416 wc?
does this car fits lipo?

thanks

Max
You can run 44mm and 46mm swing shafts up front. I run 46mm up front because it sits deeper in the spool. You may have trouble with 46mm with a oneway. I am not sure. 44mm is the standard.

Top deck clearance is 25mm. So any lipo under 25mm thick will fit. SMC, Orion, ThunderPower packs should have no problem fitting in this car.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

tks jimmy

may I use any brand of swing shafts? like 3 reacing 44mm for hotbodies swingshafts?

tks
sorry my english
Old 03-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by maxrcp
tks jimmy

may I use any brand of swing shafts? like 3 reacing 44mm for hotbodies swingshafts?

tks
sorry my english
No, you need Tamiya. I think HPI/HB have thicker pins at the ends. Or at least they did at one time.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

OK

TKS JIMMY
Old 03-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

I believe 51092 are the 46mm steel shafts. Definitely the way to go with the spool.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Achermann does not effect on or off power... but slip angle and mid corner. If you want more on or off power you need to adjust caster or center shock.
Centre shock?

That's not 100% correct though, ackerman is the slip angle but the impact having less/more ackerman differs when the weight is on or of the fronts, and if the wheels are trying to drive or not. Heres what Paul Lemieux had to say...

Originally Posted by Paul L
ackerman is very important, especially when running a spool do to the diff not being able to make up for lost or gained ground while courning.
In general less ackerman (tires are more paralell)makes the car smoother on center (less turn in), then it will also normally give you more steering coming out.
For rubber tires with spool it seems to be more of a ballance thing, less seems to transfer more weight over the front, and more seems to to keep the front end up more threw the courner and by this and transfer more weight over the rear.
I've been playing around with it a bit lately, but I think I've been going the wrong way (more spacers) in the quest for more turn in, so I'm going to drop back to 4mm and see how it goes
Old 03-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey is there a Titanium and blue aluminum screw set for the 416? I can't seem to find it anywhere, thx!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default Bottom chassis screws backing out...

Does anyone have or had there chassis screws back out? I've Loc-Tited all the screws and they seem to keep backing out, happens about every other race and in practice. Don't know if it's from the added flex in the car but I can notice when it starts to back out from the way the car handles. Does'nt allow the suspension to compress in corners and you can hear it too.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Tech Adept

hey guys what esc's do you suggest for this car? i want something no limit, and also competition spec... i want the most from the chassis!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

I really suggest the LRP TC spec brushless speedo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.