R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #4636
AWK
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
I am not trying to pitch a fit here... But if your not one of the "Boys" or make a point on a public forum, nothing happens.
By one of the "boys" what are you refering to? I myself run this kit and have not had access to spares either and i work at Tamiya. Sometimes these things take longer than expected, and I wish I could give you a reason for that over in Japan, but I don't have one for you.

Cruising these forums is not part of my job, or anyone's job here to be honest as it's something I do for fun like everyone here. If you call in or email Tamiya Customer Service that will always be the best way to get your question or concern out there. Sometimes, it takes more than one or two calls though since this is not something we have gotten a lot of direct feedback for, only indirect things like forum post which we do not always see.

In any case, we do have a bunch on order, plenty to go around, and are waiting for the shipment. To make sure you know when they come in, go to this link: http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?q=9804388 and click the request to be notified which will send you an email when the part is in stock. Hopefully that helps yous out.
AWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #4637
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Thanks for the update.. and this is progress, a month or so ago, these were not even in your system to be searched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarKing View Post
By one of the "boys" what are you refering to? I myself run this kit and have not had access to spares either and i work at Tamiya. Sometimes these things take longer than expected, and I wish I could give you a reason for that over in Japan, but I don't have one for you.

Cruising these forums is not part of my job, or anyone's job here to be honest as it's something I do for fun like everyone here. If you call in or email Tamiya Customer Service that will always be the best way to get your question or concern out there. Sometimes, it takes more than one or two calls though since this is not something we have gotten a lot of direct feedback for, only indirect things like forum post which we do not always see.

In any case, we do have a bunch on order, plenty to go around, and are waiting for the shipment. To make sure you know when they come in, go to this link: http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?q=9804388 and click the request to be notified which will send you an email when the part is in stock. Hopefully that helps yous out.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #4638
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool Spool issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
Thanks for the update.. and this is progress, a month or so ago, these were not even in your system to be searched.
I've been reading this thread and I'm a little confused on what is breaking on the spools. Is it just the cup itself or the aluminum sleeve that goes over the cup?
I'm considering buying a used 416 WE and I would like to find out what the weak link on these cars are, if any.
I myself have a 415MRE and my spool is almost 2 years old and I haven't broken a cup yet. I've worn them out to the point of replacing them.
Are the cups for the 416 the same as the 415 if so I have two sets of the delrin cups that have been sitting in my box for months and still haven't used them. Please explain what's going on.
I believe there are aftermarket companies selling cups that look identical to the tamiya cups. This might be an option. Even if you run TCS I know that you can't tell one from the other and there's no way tech could say otherwise!
Just my 2$
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #4639
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxepower View Post
I've been reading this thread and I'm a little confused on what is breaking on the spools. Is it just the cup itself or the aluminum sleeve that goes over the cup?
I'm considering buying a used 416 WE and I would like to find out what the weak link on these cars are, if any.
I myself have a 415MRE and my spool is almost 2 years old and I haven't broken a cup yet. I've worn them out to the point of replacing them.
Are the cups for the 416 the same as the 415 if so I have two sets of the delrin cups that have been sitting in my box for months and still haven't used them. Please explain what's going on.
I believe there are aftermarket companies selling cups that look identical to the tamiya cups. This might be an option. Even if you run TCS I know that you can't tell one from the other and there's no way tech could say otherwise!
Just my 2$
So, I wonder if TRYHARD is listening if he would know if the 415 delrin cups will fit the 416, maybe with a little modification? If so, I know there are aftermarket companies making them other than Tamiya. I had the same problem with the 415, they didn't sell the delrin cups seperately at first and you had to buy another spool just to replace the cups. That's when I found out about the aftermarket option. Once again Tamiya has issues keeping racers happy with the proper parts in stock, so if that's the case go to another source!
Old 03-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #4640
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Max,

The spool on the 416 is different than the old 415. The plastic cups are breaking with a slight nudge. I broke a set on one practice day at Tamiya Track. They are real fragile. There is a way to make the old 415 spool work as well. You have to modify the bearing holders to make it fit.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #4641
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
So, I wonder if TRYHARD is listening if he would know if the 415 delrin cups will fit the 416, maybe with a little modification? If so, I know there are aftermarket companies making them other than Tamiya. I had the same problem with the 415, they didn't sell the delrin cups seperately at first and you had to buy another spool just to replace the cups. That's when I found out about the aftermarket option. Once again Tamiya has issues keeping racers happy with the proper parts in stock, so if that's the case go to another source!
Would you share with us who makes the aftermarket spool cup and where to get them?
Yellowtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #4642
Tech Elite

How are you guys breaking them all the time? Are you hitting corners and crashing? Are you guys using 44mm bones? I'm using 46mm bones with no issues. Plus they sit deeper in the spool. Would the JAAD racing cups fit on the 416 spool? It might be an option for some of you guys if it does. Either that or just deal with a set of modded TA05 cups until Tamiya can get inventory again. I would just run a diff up front if it can down to that. Or build a spiff.

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #4643
Tech Master

Default 415/ 416 delrin cups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtaro View Post
Would you share with us who makes the aftermarket spool cup and where to get them?
I don't remember who the MFG. was but I ordered a bunch from RC Mushroom or RC Market, don't remember which. I looked them up and found that the 415 MRE cups are the same as the 416 according to RC Mushroom if that's the case they have them in stock including the Tamiya website.
Part # 9804268. Again, if somebody can verify for sure these cups will work in the 416 spool there are plenty available. Just do a google search of the part # 9804268 and you'll see what I mean.
Just my 2$
Old 03-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #4644
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I am also running 46mm steel shafts up front, and have been using the spool for a solid year with no breakages at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
How are you guys breaking them all the time? Are you hitting corners and crashing? Are you guys using 44mm bones? I'm using 46mm bones with no issues. Plus they sit deeper in the spool.
miccal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #4645
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
How are you guys breaking them all the time? Are you hitting corners and crashing? Are you guys using 44mm bones? I'm using 46mm bones with no issues. Plus they sit deeper in the spool. Would the JAAD racing cups fit on the 416 spool? It might be an option for some of you guys if it does. Either that or just deal with a set of modded TA05 cups until Tamiya can get inventory again. I would just run a diff up front if it can down to that. Or build a spiff.
I'm trying to retrofit the 05 spool cup (metal) to the 416...
jonest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #4646
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonest View Post
I'm trying to retrofit the 05 spool cup (metal) to the 416...
It's a good "alternative". But it will result in less steering and more "chatter". However, you won't break any more outdrives/cups. Keep them lubed/greased up and this should help out with chatter.

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #4647
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

What Jimmy said!

There's no issue with the cups using the 46mm shafts. You'll have a bit more chatter but otherwise there's no difference. I've recently switched from the 46mm to the 44mm to reduce the chatter, if I start breaking cups I'll know that's the problem, but I've done a couple meets with the 44s and had a few hits without issue

It does suck that you cant source any, have you guys tried rcchamp?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #4648
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
I don't remember who the MFG. was but I ordered a bunch from RC Mushroom or RC Market, don't remember which. I looked them up and found that the 415 MRE cups are the same as the 416 according to RC Mushroom if that's the case they have them in stock including the Tamiya website.
Part # 9804268. Again, if somebody can verify for sure these cups will work in the 416 spool there are plenty available. Just do a google search of the part # 9804268 and you'll see what I mean.
Just my 2$
Max, you've seen how hard i drove my 416... how the heck are you guys breaking spool cups? i just inspected mine... still in good shape! then again i only 10.5 on it a few times..and 13.5 most of the time.

- Chris
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:28 AM   #4649
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
Max, you've seen how hard i drove my 416... how the heck are you guys breaking spool cups? i just inspected mine... still in good shape! then again i only 10.5 on it a few times..and 13.5 most of the time.

- Chris
I'm running 11.5 and couple of knocks on the barrier, it goes shattered!!!
jonest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #4650
VTR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default help needed

guys, need so help,

what's e size of e pinion gear i shd use if i'm using a 3900Kv, 10T brushless motor? mine spur is 105T

thanks.