R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #4186
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Ok guys, I'm having a bit of a handling issue and it's got me a bit stumped

Ever since getting back from the nationals last year I've had a lift off oversteer problem in the tightest corners of the tracks I race on. The only way I've been able to combat it is by lengthening the rear wheelbase but this is hurting my steering elsewhere. I'm running minimal rear droop so that's not the issue, and the only thing I've done differently to my old set ups running fractionally (2mm) more rebound at the rear than I did before. What's the best way to calm the whole thing down? I was thinking of going a little thicker with oil (running 400wt at the mo) all around and drilling vent holes in the top of the shock to take out some of the pack

also has anyone been able to make the WE front shock mounting positions work? it's been hard to tell with the issue above but whenever I incline my front shocks down to hole 2 on the damper stay my car seems slower
Ok,,, wait a minute . bear with me on this one but,
What do you have your rear droop set at ? I measure mine with the hudy blocks and have a setting of 4mm from under the outer hinge pin on the "A" arm. That yields about 2mm of droop from ride height in the rear. I would concider this actually a lot of droop. So as you might think thats not the problem, I think maybe it is. 6mm front/4mm rear.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #4187
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miccal View Post
No problem.

What was better about it?
i like running my steering links perfectly straight. in order to do that with the original you had to shim it up (using the rear holes on the steering knuckles).

so i replaced it with the MSXX arms.. i also moved up my servo a little bit.

felt better in my opinion. its probably not for everyone. i was going to clean the bearings on the original arms,..... one of the bearings exploded and the outer casing got stuck inside the arm. so i got stuck using the MSXX arms. replacement arms are still on order.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #4188
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
i like running my steering links perfectly straight. in order to do that with the original you had to shim it up (using the rear holes on the steering knuckles).

so i replaced it with the MSXX arms.. i also moved up my servo a little bit.

felt better in my opinion. its probably not for everyone. i was going to clean the bearings on the original arms,..... one of the bearings exploded and the outer casing got stuck inside the arm. so i got stuck using the MSXX arms. replacement arms are still on order.
miccal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #4189
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by miccal View Post
Thanks for the information.
Wouldn't it have been easier to just put upper king pin (ball joint) and the shims. I know the long aluminum ones don't last very long.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:36 PM   #4190
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
Wouldn't it have been easier to just put upper king pin (ball joint) and the shims. I know the long aluminum ones don't last very long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
i was going to clean the bearings on the original arms,..... one of the bearings exploded and the outer casing got stuck inside the arm. so i got stuck using the MSXX arms. replacement arms are still on order.
miccal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #4191
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
What do you have your rear droop set at ? I measure mine with the hudy blocks and have a setting of 4mm from under the outer hinge pin on the "A" arm. That yields about 2mm of droop from ride height in the rear. I would concider this actually a lot of droop. So as you might think thats not the problem, I think maybe it is. 6mm front/4mm rear.
Yeah that's what I thought at first but I've been backing off the droop since it started happening and I'm up to 6mm on the blocks at the back so 2mm less than you, which is minimal up travel. I might try some anti-dive at the front
Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #4192
Tech Master

Get bent ... LoL I missed that .
Old 01-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #4193
Tech Master

Quote:
Yeah that's what I thought at first but I've been backing off the droop since it started happening and I'm up to 6mm on the blocks at the back so 2mm less than you, which is minimal up travel. I might try some anti-dive at the front
Are your rear tires worn out ?
Seriously I think you may be going the wrong way with that droop screw .
Go back to 4mm in the rear .
Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #4194
Tech Elite

Quote:
Whats your ackermann setting? And how many shims are under your rear link, inner and outter? If you've been playing with droop and it's not working, you can try something else. Also, what front spring are you running?

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #4195
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Hey John, I've been pondering ideas of how to get LiPo's into the car without hacking up the upper deck, and I put together my first idea...

I can now solder the female banana plug onto that battery bar and plug in from there. This setup will suit me fine, as the biggest pinion this car will see is a 27 tooth, but definately need more room for larger pinions, so I'm going to go to the hobby store in the next couple days and see if I can get a piece of copper that I can bend up and hopefully move the banana plug a little more forward.

Just a disclaimer on this, I have a soldering iron that was capable of getting that banana plug off the positive tab in about a second, I wouldn't recommend trying this out with an iron that won't be able to get the plug off nearly instantly, from what I understand LiPo's don't like heat

Just my first idea of how to make full size packs fit, I'm sure more will come
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-1233038737915.jpg  
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #4196
Tech Regular

Has anyone tried using the 1 mm down type aluminum damper retainers? In theory, it seems as though using those retainers would allow more spring preload for a given ride height, which will increase the speed of rebound. How will the 416 respond from a driver's perspective?
HI_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #4197
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I put them on my new kit, mainly because they are aluminum and should hold true longer than plastic would. The cup is 1mm lower, so I just adjust the shock collar 1mm lower to match, doesn't change the preload any, they just give the option to run a slightly longer spring from other brands.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #4198
Tech Regular

Thanks Randy. Now that you mentioned it, I realize my mistake. Unlike my full size coilovers where I can adjust the actual height of the shock body, the 1 mm down type retainers simply move the spring down.
HI_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:34 AM   #4199
Tech Elite

Default Rear toe

I have just finish building my car, now its sitting on my set up board. My problem is rear toe. Left arm read 4deg toe in while right arm read 3deg toe in. I m using the stock suspension block 1XA (rear front) and 1F (rear rear). From the chart at Thard forum it should read 3.5deg toe in. I have tried loosening the suspension block screws hoping to align it better but the it still reads 4deg and 3 deg. Can anyone suggest anything? I m using Hudy Set Up System BTW.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 AM   #4200
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
I have just finish building my car, now its sitting on my set up board. My problem is rear toe. Left arm read 4deg toe in while right arm read 3deg toe in. I m using the stock suspension block 1XA (rear front) and 1F (rear rear). From the chart at Thard forum it should read 3.5deg toe in. I have tried loosening the suspension block screws hoping to align it better but the it still reads 4deg and 3 deg. Can anyone suggest anything? I m using Hudy Set Up System BTW.
Something isn't right thats for sure ! I wouldn't be happy either. It has to be either a poorly drilled chassis or a bad suspension mount ie... 1XA or 1F.
Remive them and measure from the 3mm hole to the outside of each one. And discrepencies will show you the bad part.