R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #4051
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

I will be driving mine for the first time tonight. I will let you know . I hope its a bit more stable . as the batteries have been moved forward and the rear toe was increased to 3.5 degrees. the old 416 was great with a 10.5 in it ! 13.5 is the thing now. more sunday too after I run on the other track as well.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #4052
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein Tumert View Post
Yes, The original 416 came with one-way

3454520 TRF416 one way housing
9444623 TRF416 Freilauf Ausgänge

There is also availlable
49492 TRF416 "Middle One way" (Mittel-Freilauf Set)

Thanks for the info. As for chassis where can i get the 2.5mm lower deck with stick type batt holder on line? http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=84025
Is this a direct replacement for WE (same batt position towards the front)? Will replacing the 2.25mm original chassis to 2.5mm gain any handling performance?
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #4053
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
Thanks for the info. As for chassis where can i get the 2.5mm lower deck with stick type batt holder on line? http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=84025
Is this a direct replacement for WE (same batt position towards the front)? Will replacing the 2.25mm original chassis to 2.5mm gain any handling performance?
this stick pack lower deck was delay release !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:24 AM   #4054
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to sakaguchinet Send a message via AIM to sakaguchinet Send a message via Skype™ to sakaguchinet

Hi,

I have compared both plates on the DHi Cup (416 and 416WE):

The 416 plate run wonderful. The car was very stable but fast. Managed a 15.35sec lap (in the 3rd qual rd).

The WE plate with the identical setup ran more like a "fat cow". It was not so aggressive to drive. My best lap here was a 15.60. The car was not willing to turn so good as with the old plate. But I think for the most racers the WE Plate will be the better one (because the 416 drives so safe like no other touring car on this world).
http://www.sakaguchinetshop.com (Tamiya TRF related stuff)
sakaguchinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:10 AM   #4055
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakaguchinet View Post
Hi,

I have compared both plates on the DHi Cup (416 and 416WE):

The 416 plate run wonderful. The car was very stable but fast. Managed a 15.35sec lap (in the 3rd qual rd).

The WE plate with the identical setup ran more like a "fat cow". It was not so aggressive to drive. My best lap here was a 15.60. The car was not willing to turn so good as with the old plate. But I think for the most racers the WE Plate will be the better one (because the 416 drives so safe like no other touring car on this world).
Dai,
Have you tried the original 416 2.25mm plate back to back vs. the 2.5 mm 416 chassi plate? (on carpet/rubber)

Last edited by Stein Tumert; 01-17-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Stein Tumert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #4056
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

well I've driven my 416 we for the first time Friday night and on my first run/quilifier i had put 24 sorexes on the car and I must have over heated the tires. There was a fine glaze over the entire tire. It was sliding all over the place. Once I realized what was going on I switched to some 28 sorex tires and what a difference . I had been worried that the spool would not turn well at all. I had thought . "Great , another tarmack setup that doesnt work on carpet." By the last qualifier I was on TQ pace that Dave Johnson had set in the second round. The car was very predictible and smooth. I had never driven a car with a spool in it before . Quite frankly I was surprised at how well it worked . One of these days I'm going to try the one way front differential and see if I can flow through the end of the corner a little faster.
All in all I'd have to say that the chassis is a grade above the older 416 and I an very happy with my new one. I am a little disapointed on the fact that I had to carve on the upper deck to plug in my Li-Po's. The positive lead needed some dremel work. Other than that .... Bellisima!

Last edited by John St.Amant; 01-17-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #4057
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakaguchinet View Post

The WE plate with the identical setup ran more like a "fat cow". It was not so aggressive to drive. My best lap here was a 15.60. The car was not willing to turn so good as with the old plate.
I ran the 416 WE in superstock at DHI and I was able to get a 15.07 laptime (as far as I know the fastest lap of the whole superstock), and the car was really stable and I had all the steering I wanted. I even had to change setup when the grip came out to calm down steering for not having to fear traction roll so much, but still it was really fast in the tight hairpins and it had a lot of steering without the rear coming out. I was able to turn in at the end of the backstraight even without lifting the throttle.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #4058
Tech Initiate

John st. amant / Stilo any chance you guys can post your latest set-up for we
savo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #4059
Tech Apprentice

DHI-cup 2009 SuperStock setup

It worked really well at least in the large DHI track on good grip.

It´s really close to the standard setup that WE comes by the instruction manual. To get the car turn more, try to change the upper arm spacers to 4mm in front and 3mm rear. Also changing front wheel spacer to 0,5 gives a bit more steering. Adding more droop, to 26 and 25 when racing without fear of traction rolling could be a good idea.

Last edited by Stilo; 01-17-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Stilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #4060
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilo View Post
DHI-cup 2009 SuperStock setup

It worked really well at least in the large DHI track on good grip.

It´s really close to the standard setup that WE comes by the instruction manual. To get the car turn more, try to change the upper arm spacers to 4mm in front and 3mm rear. Also changing wheel spacer to 0,5 gives a bit more steering. Adding more droop, to 26 and 25 when racing without fear of traction rolling could be a good idea.
on your set-up you use c/c susp mounts but have you tried d/d if so how did it handle. thanks for the set-up
savo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #4061
Tech Apprentice

I haven´t tested D-blocks with the WE, but what i´ve heard, the car is a bit more stable and doesn´t have as much steering than with the C-blocks.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #4062
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm thinking of swithcing to a 416 , my question is,, is it any good to carpet/foam racing? Mostly tamiya is good on running rubber, just my own opinion.
cheehtae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #4063
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheehtae View Post
I'm thinking of swithcing to a 416 , my question is,, is it any good to carpet/foam racing? Mostly tamiya is good on running rubber, just my own opinion.
Ive seen Dwight smoke 'em on foam with a 415msx.... no lies, he was fast !
Old 01-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #4064
Tech Addict

It's really not a foam car. Tamiya or the after market produce none of the parts you usually see on foam cars. Thick chassis/topdeck, 6 degree c-hubs, etc. I'm sure you could make it work, but its pedigree is unquestionably rubber tires.
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #4065
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by savo View Post
John st. amant / Stilo any chance you guys can post your latest set-up for we
I built my WE exactly as the instructions suggested. After assembly I checked the balance and tweak, dond a set of sorex 28's . It worked very well for me. There was one sharp turn I had to nail the brake to make quickly. But all in all I was on TQ pace and turned several consistant and quick times with it. I was amazed that what I thought was going to be a tarmac set up worked very well on carpet.

I want a Wii... or is that a WE !?
Stock looks like 1.5 deg camber front and rear
Droop 6 front 4 rear
40 wt (yellow soft) oil 3 hole front and rear
Springs Blue front , yellow rear
upper shock mount hole #2 front , #3 rear
lower shock mount hole #4 front and rear
Ride height 5mm
Roll centers f/i 4mm , f/o 0mm , r/i 3mm , r/o 3mm
all linkage inners in the inside hole
add 0.5mm rollcenter shim under suspension pivot bridges in rear
front toe out 1 deg per side