Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

pics are back a page or two

So who's getting one? Champ are taking preorders, I'm a bit unsure because I've got the go fast bits that come on the WC. What's the advantage of the new motor mount?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

wondering, that in Belgium and HK the WE is still not available ... (remember 11 month ago... 42106 ... first pics..)

I think Tamiya will wait till Sunday (Worlds Finals) to release the full specs (for example the sus blocks config). So it should be possible to get the WE under the christmas tree (in Japan it will not be a tree - i guess).

At the moment I have noticed (my opinion):
All 2.25 standard TRF416 chassis plates are sold out. They will be worth a lot, when running 5 cells. The new WE plate is only good when running 6 cells.
Tamiya should release the spool outdrives with a 49xxx number. So it would be easyer to get them in the whole world.
The new WE topdeck would be also only good on low grip tracks (because it offers more flex). So be patient and keep you old lower and upper deck when building up your new WE.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Hi

Originally Posted by mark williams
hi mate, im using my lrp sphere tc spec with the lrp vector x11 10.5 motor so i would hope its not drawing too much current...orion 3800 lipo in use also..
Hi mate had the same problem, turned out to be a range problem with the transmitter , it was going into failsafe mode.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakaguchinet
Hi,

wondering, that in Belgium and HK the WE is still not available ... (remember 11 month ago... 42106 ... first pics..)

I think Tamiya will wait till Sunday (Worlds Finals) to release the full specs (for example the sus blocks config). So it should be possible to get the WE under the christmas tree (in Japan it will not be a tree - i guess).

At the moment I have noticed (my opinion):
All 2.25 standard TRF416 chassis plates are sold out. They will be worth a lot, when running 5 cells. The new WE plate is only good when running 6 cells.
Tamiya should release the spool outdrives with a 49xxx number. So it would be easyer to get them in the whole world.
The new WE topdeck would be also only good on low grip tracks (because it offers more flex). So be patient and keep you old lower and upper deck when building up your new WE.
I wouldn't be so sure on the top deck not being suited to high grip. I ran both the solid rear brace and cut one at this weekends carpet wars event (mega grip) and much prefered how the car performed with the cut brace.. Hell, I even managed to tq and win 13.5 with the car like it...
Plus the top 10.5 (tq and win also itt should be noted) and mod 416's were in this configuration too.
Regards
Ed
Old 11-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

I've tried several setups in my 416 on local rather small carpet tracks with medium grip
I mostly drive 27t-classes (beginners).
The Jilles Groskamp HPI-setup suited me really well.
Only yesterday, in a crazy moment, i took the spool out and mounted the One-way in (wich I prefer to drive).
To my astonishment, the car went really well. I had thought that I should have looked for a different setup with the One-way.
Offcourse the car had much more steering, which I had to get used to, but I prefere it this way.

Alldough in the short amount of time that I had left to test it didn't feel 100% yet. Maybe I should try to loose some grip in the front?
Anyone any ideas what setup might suit the car better of which changes I should make to improve the Jilles G HPI-setup for driving it with a low-performance motor and a One-way?
I have my 416 now 98% with this JG HPI-setup. Only changes are the One-way and the Upper-Arm-spacer that's 3mm in stead of the much used 5mm.

(I wonder what changing this Upper-Arm-spacer to a 5mm one would do to the setup. I know it will change roll-centre ,... but with what impact?)

Last edited by Low_E; 11-12-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TryHard
I wouldn't be so sure on the top deck not being suited to high grip. I ran both the solid rear brace and cut one at this weekends carpet wars event (mega grip) and much prefered how the car performed with the cut brace.. Hell, I even managed to tq and win 13.5 with the car like it...
Plus the top 10.5 (tq and win also itt should be noted) and mod 416's were in this configuration too.
Regards
Ed
I was going to say the same thing. I'm running the vdezign 1 piece deck and the only thing I noticed was a bit more rear grip. The difference in grip at the rear between that and the 2 piece is about as marked as removing the screw from the steering brace on front end grip

Nice work Ed, hopefully the team can get a similar result in Thailand on Sunday!!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

as removing the screw from the steering brace on front end grip
what will be the impact of this setup-mod, Craig?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Tech Champion

It gives you a little more steering, and is mainly used on asphalt. If you look at the pictures of the team cars at the euros none of them are using the steering brace screw. I've got the CF steering brace now which should afford even more flex

On another note, I've found that the number of spacers under the front camber rod affects how my rear tyres perform towards the end of the run. At the state titles we ran 6 qualifiers so I had plenty of time to make small changes and started off running 3mm, then tried 3.5 which gave a little more steering, then went to 4 which gave more again but after about 4 mins my car started getting loose. On the same set of tyres I went back to 3.5 and the car was fine. It makes sense I guess, but does that mean that I wont be able to get any more steering without toasting the tyres, or should I just try something different like pull the rear toe-in back to 2.5?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
I was going to say the same thing. I'm running the vdezign 1 piece deck and the only thing I noticed was a bit more rear grip. The difference in grip at the rear between that and the 2 piece is about as marked as removing the screw from the steering brace on front end grip

Nice work Ed, hopefully the team can get a similar result in Thailand on Sunday!!
lol . thats not from a one piece deck.. thats from the shorter rear arms.
certainly the upper deck isnt effecting the grip . over the amount of hardware and to aluminum.. please...
Old 11-13-2008, 02:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
lol . thats not from a one piece deck.. thats from the shorter rear arms.
certainly the upper deck isnt effecting the grip . over the amount of hardware and to aluminum.. please...
Glad you're amused, but I was using the short arms with two piece deck before the one piece deck. You notice the difference putting it on, just like when you remove the steering brace screw. Maybe you should try these things before dumping on them
Old 11-13-2008, 03:02 AM
Tech Master

Glad you're amused, but I was using the short arms with two piece deck before the one piece deck. You notice the difference putting it on, just like when you remove the steering brace screw. Maybe you should try these things before dumping on them
Old 11-13-2008, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

I'm not dumping on them. But perhaps you should think about what you are saying here.. You removed the steering post screw and you say it gave you more traction. Then you say the one piece top deck gives you more traction. Isn't it stiffer , being one piece and all? Didnt you soften it and get more traction? Don't contradict yourself , your creditibility is at stake. Certainly the deck is made a single piece for production pourposes. So which is it now , stiffer upper deck is more traction or flexible is more traction. Something tells me traction came up between runs and you felt that, not the upper deck.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
blah blah blah...Then you say the one piece top deck gives you more traction. Isn't it stiffer , being one piece and all?...blah blah blah
No it isn't stiffer. The one piece top-deck eliminates the rear cross brace behind the spur gear allowing more rear end flex...
Old 11-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

More people than clues.....
Old 11-13-2008, 09:15 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Officially, from the designers in Japan, the one piece upper deck gives the car the ability to flex more and thus will have more overall grip. Having two shorter pieces will be stiffer than one long piece, and adding to that, the elimination of a cross brace also dramtically changes the flex. Think of breaking a pencil in half and how easy it is. Then try to break one of the broken halves again....much harder right? That same theory applies to the upper deck.

The same goes for removing the screw that goes through the upper deck and to the steering post. Removing it allows for more flex and more grip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.