R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #2671
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mongville
Posts: 6,978
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Any setups or new ideas emerging from the Euro's as yet?

From the pics, can see split rear deck, sliced top deck, one pic showed a 1 piece full length top deck (which allowed fewer screws around the motor area)

Anything else new?
There seems to be a trend of running heavier oil with a really laid over shock too, not only on the 416 but cyclones as well. Combined with the ultra flexy top decks, the cyclone had the entire centre section of the top deck split, with 1 pic even removing some of the ribbing in the arms.

Speaking of which does tamiya make the short reversible arm in a plastic material? rather than the composite?
__________________
12th Scale - The premier class (if you can make runtime)
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:15 PM   #2672
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
I have found that a 40/105 to a 41/105 works well with the LRP 10.5.
Martin,

are we gonna see you this year at the TCS Nats?

- Chris
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #2673
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe View Post
Any setups or new ideas emerging from the Euro's as yet?

From the pics, can see split rear deck, sliced top deck, one pic showed a 1 piece full length top deck (which allowed fewer screws around the motor area)

Anything else new?
There seems to be a trend of running heavier oil with a really laid over shock too, not only on the 416 but cyclones as well. Combined with the ultra flexy top decks, the cyclone had the entire centre section of the top deck split, with 1 pic even removing some of the ribbing in the arms.

Speaking of which does tamiya make the short reversible arm in a plastic material? rather than the composite?
Besercoe:

yup. tamiya does make a plastic material reversible arm. they came in the TB-03 kits. short arms in a flexy material.

btw... heavier oil.. you got any examples? i havent strayed far from 400wt Tamiya yellow oil.. so its something id like to try

- Chris
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #2674
Tech Regular
 
HI_808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide_mouth_frog View Post
Would that be bashley?

Had a go with a 416 on tues, rear end was a little too bolted, but i think it was kit setup, oneway and i presume 3 dregrees toe?

Not bad at all though.......one phi prev sold!!
I had the same issue with the kit setup. My 416 was not able to keep up with my other TC, so I completely changed the setup. Now I'm just waiting to get the time to try it out...
HI_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #2675
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mongville
Posts: 6,978
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
Besercoe:

yup. tamiya does make a plastic material reversible arm. they came in the TB-03 kits. short arms in a flexy material.

btw... heavier oil.. you got any examples? i havent strayed far from 400wt Tamiya yellow oil.. so its something id like to try

- Chris
I cant recall what car it was on but i saw 70 written on a set of shocks on a car.

Personally i have tried using thicker oil, 50 and 60 and it settles the car down a fair bit, I am thinking with the shitty tires they are making nowadays, like the sweeps, then you need to keep the car somewhat flatter through the corner, in order to keep pressure on all 4 tires, as they just dont have the grip of what we are used to with the older style tires.

The angled shocks, softer springs (HPI Silver seem very popular) and thicker oils should really boost up the side bite, as well as all the work that seems to be happening to soften up the chassis (split decks etc)
__________________
12th Scale - The premier class (if you can make runtime)
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #2676
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe View Post
I cant recall what car it was on but i saw 70 written on a set of shocks on a car.

Personally i have tried using thicker oil, 50 and 60 and it settles the car down a fair bit, I am thinking with the shitty tires they are making nowadays, like the sweeps, then you need to keep the car somewhat flatter through the corner, in order to keep pressure on all 4 tires, as they just dont have the grip of what we are used to with the older style tires.

The angled shocks, softer springs (HPI Silver seem very popular) and thicker oils should really boost up the side bite, as well as all the work that seems to be happening to soften up the chassis (split decks etc)
im gonna have to try this. im barely scratching the surface in terms of tuning the 416 to my liking... but ive gotten stiffer with my springs while maintaing the 3hole/Tamiya 400wt oil combo. i wonder if its the same effect as going heavy on the oil and lighter on the springs?
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #2677
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,251
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I'd be really suprised if they were running oils as hevy as 60 or 70... never even ran that on the 415. At a push, I would suggest that they would have run up to 50wt max, but given the traction at the euro's was pretty poo (from people I've spoken to anyway), I would have thought they would have stuck at the 400/450 mark.

With regards to shock tuning, I personally find it odd using the same weight oils despite using different spring rates... I would have always thought it would be better to run a slightly heavier oil in the front to match up with the stiffer spring. It's something I'm going to try again this weekend, as I still need to dial out a little initial steering... so I'll try that, along with some front kick-up to help with the bumpy track

As for Marc's top deck... it pretty much acheives the same as what Jilles has done, in freeing up the rear flex more. It's just a neater solution

Regards
Ed
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #2678
Tech Champion
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,150
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Hk Also use ASSO F 40 R 30 oil
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #2679
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 286
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Ed, I don't know what the guys ran at the Euros, but I know at the ETS final they were trying as high as 60.
__________________
Tony Vredenberg
tonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #2680
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,251
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Aye, I don;t know for sure either... just speculating really.
Viktors setup from the TITC has him running 60/50, and that was a very high grip track apparently.. whereas at the Reedy he was down at 40/40...
Just going with the info that the euro's track was quite low grip, would make sense to use a softer oil... hopefully I'll get hold of a setup sheet, as soon as Eirik comes back of his hols
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #2681
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portugal
Posts: 34
Default

Hello,

I was in Spain and Marc ended using 45/45 with HPI silver/silver and 3 hole piston.
RFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #2682
Tech Master
 
ooliganRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Under that rock you just kicked over!!!!
Posts: 1,040
Send a message via MSN to ooliganRC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
I'd be really suprised if they were running oils as hevy as 60 or 70... never even ran that on the 415. At a push, I would suggest that they would have run up to 50wt max, but given the traction at the euro's was pretty poo (from people I've spoken to anyway), I would have thought they would have stuck at the 400/450 mark.

With regards to shock tuning, I personally find it odd using the same weight oils despite using different spring rates... I would have always thought it would be better to run a slightly heavier oil in the front to match up with the stiffer spring. It's something I'm going to try again this weekend, as I still need to dial out a little initial steering... so I'll try that, along with some front kick-up to help with the bumpy track

As for Marc's top deck... it pretty much acheives the same as what Jilles has done, in freeing up the rear flex more. It's just a neater solution

Regards
Ed
Ive driven your car , it has as much steering as a blind man has sight. :P
__________________
Corally RDX PHi, Novak Brushless, Futaba 3GR, KO Propo 2413, E-Power 4500, Full Throttle Motorsports.

"You aint going fast enough, if you aint Full Throttle"
Currently slow due to : Bad thumbs and no motors :P
ooliganRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #2683
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooliganRC View Post
Ive driven your car , it has as much steering as a blind man has sight. :P
wow.. thats not a lot of steering. my car probably has as much steering as Rosie O'Donnell has fat!
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #2684
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,094
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

My 416 turns like crazy on carpet, but on asphalt, it had a miserable push no matter what I tried.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #2685
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
My 416 turns like crazy on carpet, but on asphalt, it had a miserable push no matter what I tried.
all the 416s here are doing great on asphalt... whats the bite like at your local asphalt track? and what tires are you using?

premounted RP30s and Sorex 36Rs are the predominant tires at the two asphalt tracks i race at.
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRF416 sim600 Malaysian R/C Racers 15 01-09-2010 11:08 AM
TRF416 speedart Electric On-Road 26 06-27-2007 04:28 AM
new joke cyber3d Chat Lounge 5 08-02-2006 02:52 PM
another joke, OH no! corvettecrazy Chat Lounge 0 01-10-2004 09:11 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:53 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net