R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #2056
Tech Adept
 
bboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 218
Default What is wrong with my setting?

Can someone please point out which of my setting is wrong? I ran my 416 at my local track today and it keeps oversteering and is not very stable in the straight.

I run as follows:

4.0 brushless with 6 cells
Toe - 1 deg toe out front, 2 deg toe in rear
Camber - 2 deg front, 2.5 deg rear
Suspension - Blue spring front, 60 deg oil, red spring rear, 40 deg oil
Shock position - front #1, rear #5 (counting from the bottom)
Height - front 4mm, rear 4.5mm

The track is tarmac with good traction, but I keep oversteering at corners, and the car feels not stable on the straight. What am I doing wrong?

Help...
__________________
Serpent 960-08 + Max XL9
XRay NT1 + Max XXL3
bboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:15 AM   #2057
Tech Adept
 
bboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 218
Default

This is the track that I run
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-tracklayout060209a.jpg  
__________________
Serpent 960-08 + Max XL9
XRay NT1 + Max XXL3
bboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:26 AM   #2058
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 509
Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)
Default

very nice track

i want a 416 :-(
i730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:28 AM   #2059
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 363
Default

Pull a setup from Tryhard's site .. 4mm sounds very low to me ??? sounds like you are bottoming the car
Andyg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:41 AM   #2060
Tech Master
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,429
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
have you guys changed the lower shock pivot balls over to allen heads? I was thinking of running a long grub screw in and putting the socket style balls that nitro tourers run to reduce wear on the arms

oh speaking of arms, which way around do you run the short rear arms - with the wider set of holes to the back and narrower to the front or the other way around?


53334, they are part of the V plastic set
Hey Craig. I started with the second hole when counting from the hub end of the arm. This is very close to the kit hole on the std arms so it's a good starting point. Looking forward to seeing your 416 on the track! Cheers, Vincent.
__________________
SMOKEM --- HIRO SEIKO --- YOKOMO
veecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #2061
Tech Adept
 
bboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 218
Default

What is the advantage to switching to the Short LWT Arms?
__________________
Serpent 960-08 + Max XL9
XRay NT1 + Max XXL3
bboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #2062
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SAN DIEGO
Posts: 1,100
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default

BBOY, you didn't mention your droop settings, 3mm front and rear is a good starting point. Also I would change to 3 degree rear toe and 5 mm ride height. I assume your running a spool. if not, put one in.
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #2063
Tech Master
 
CanyonCarverR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,340
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I had the same problems that bboy is experiencing...spool fixed it!
CanyonCarverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #2064
Tech Champion
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,138
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy View Post
This is the track that I run
Small size track !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #2065
Tech Adept
 
Jimmy Jacobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vallejo, CA
Posts: 130
Default

Try using 3 degree toe in in rear 2 degree is not enough and hardly ever used with that much motor
Jimmy Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #2066
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 86
Default

bboy, make your life more simple and just try one of the setups posted on tryhards site. You will only have to make minor adjustments to suit your track or driving style.

jontang001, its an adjustment not too many people play with. I have tried alot of different shock adjustments at many different tracks. The effect of rebound directly impacts the way the car handles bumps and negotiates quick switchbacks(aka shicanes). I have found the more rebound i use, makes the car more responsive/aggresive but can handle bumpy tracks much better, less rebound the opposite is true. The reason why rebound works best for bumps is rebound keeps the tire in contact with the track after you hit a bump, the longer you car stays in contact with the track the more stable it is. As for shicanes your car needs to change directions quickly, so with alot of rebound your car will be able to transfer the weight L/R quicker with assitance from the rebound. For me i almost always run full rebound just because i like a responsive car and if there is any inperfections in the track my car will keeps its composure. Hope this was not to confusing!
__________________
Corey "Whitey" Whiteman

TAMIYA- www.tamiya.ca
LRP- www.lrp-electronic.de
Reedy batteries
Protoform- www.pro-lineracing.com
Parma- www.parmapse.com
APS racing- www.aps-racing.net
www.muchhobby.com
TRFwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #2067
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,234
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
have you guys changed the lower shock pivot balls over to allen heads? I was thinking of running a long grub screw in and putting the socket style balls that nitro tourers run to reduce wear on the arms

oh speaking of arms, which way around do you run the short rear arms - with the wider set of holes to the back and narrower to the front or the other way around?


53334, they are part of the V plastic set
I'm using the hexheaded ball joints... work nice and easy for removing the shocks 5mm long ones are fine for this.

As for the arms, depends on what setting you want. Hole 2 (which the one most tend to run in), is the outer most hole on the inner set.

HiH
Ed
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #2068
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,234
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jacobson View Post
Try using 3 degree toe in in rear 2 degree is not enough and hardly ever used with that much motor
I'd go with that to start off with too... 2 is not a lot for 4.0!
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #2069
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,234
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFwhitey View Post
bboy, make your life more simple and just try one of the setups posted on tryhards site. You will only have to make minor adjustments to suit your track or driving style.

jontang001, its an adjustment not too many people play with. I have tried alot of different shock adjustments at many different tracks. The effect of rebound directly impacts the way the car handles bumps and negotiates quick switchbacks(aka shicanes). I have found the more rebound i use, makes the car more responsive/aggresive but can handle bumpy tracks much better, less rebound the opposite is true. The reason why rebound works best for bumps is rebound keeps the tire in contact with the track after you hit a bump, the longer you car stays in contact with the track the more stable it is. As for shicanes your car needs to change directions quickly, so with alot of rebound your car will be able to transfer the weight L/R quicker with assitance from the rebound. For me i almost always run full rebound just because i like a responsive car and if there is any inperfections in the track my car will keeps its composure. Hope this was not to confusing!
Cheers for that explanation Corey, makes a lot of sense. If you consider that the European TRF team have been running 2mm or so of rebound on carpet tracks with rubbers, they can afford to give up a lot of the bump stabillity (you would hope a carpet track doesn't have bumps ), but use a little rebound to help with direction change.
Outdoors I tend to find it's more about responsiveness, so then move to more rebound.

Cheers
Ed
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #2070
Tech Regular
 
pug 205 gti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: england uk
Posts: 362
Default

Tamiya have released a 2.5mm carpet chassis for the TRF416 here is a pic and checkout http://www.tamiya.com/japan/news/news0806/news1.htm for all the details and a direct route to the tamiya page.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-tamiyatrf416chassis.jpg  
__________________
Its quietish on rctech lately?
pug 205 gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRF416 sim600 Malaysian R/C Racers 15 01-09-2010 11:08 AM
TRF416 speedart Electric On-Road 26 06-27-2007 04:28 AM
new joke cyber3d Chat Lounge 5 08-02-2006 02:52 PM
another joke, OH no! corvettecrazy Chat Lounge 0 01-10-2004 09:11 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:43 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net