Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'm able to get to the pinion grub screw w/o messing with the top deck. You just have to hit it at a weird angle, and be careful you're screwing on to the flat spot when you do, otherwise you'll strip your pinion. I basically start with the pinion out on the shaft so I can reach the screw and get it on the flat spot. Then I rotate it toward the back of the car and let the wrench slide into that gap. Then I loosen the grub screw a bit to push the pinion in, get it aligned as I like it, and tighten it back down. It sounds way more complicated than it is. I too had to file the topdeck slightly so I could run larger pinions. I can't imagine it would affect anything. At least it's only a $12 part.

Are there 416 specific toe blocks yet, or will the 415 versions be what everybody uses? I'm glad to know I'm not the only one having trouble with the rear hub ballstuds coming out easily. It does seem to make a difference if you're very careful when threading them in (only thread it once) and don't overtighten.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StickyFingaz
I stripped out the rear uprights though with a small side hit. Simple fix - running the inner holes until I find spares/buy the Square ones that will probably come out.

The car is amazing. I'm a believer...
One thing I noticed is that using the outer holes is better for more open smooth layouts and the inner holes for tighter twistier tracks. It's just a matter of finding the right balance.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dsrbltoys
WOW!!!

I picked up my new toy yesterday about 3pm. Even with helping a few people here and there at the track, I finished at midnight. Got a few laps in, and this thing is good. I ran the stock set up, even though many said not to. Motor needs some work, but that will come quickly. I think I need to run a little more to wake up the batts too. Taking a few months off felt good.

I was very impressed with the fit on this car. Much better that any previous tamiya TRF car. I have built many, and this is by far the best engineered in a long time, maybe since 414x time. I kept finding little things that just make sense. Only fault I find, WTF us up with this upper motor screw, thats just dumb. But, if that is the only complaint, then I say great job TAMIYA.
hey Kevin, call me lets chat. maybe i WILL pick one of these up after hearing how impressed you are with it. and yes i know how many tamiya kits you've built! hope things are good with up at SIR.

- Chris
Old 03-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What size pinions are you able to do this with? Up to 50? (I'm running a 17.5)

BBB

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I'm able to get to the pinion grub screw w/o messing with the top deck. You just have to hit it at a weird angle, and be careful you're screwing on to the flat spot when you do, otherwise you'll strip your pinion. I basically start with the pinion out on the shaft so I can reach the screw and get it on the flat spot. Then I rotate it toward the back of the car and let the wrench slide into that gap. Then I loosen the grub screw a bit to push the pinion in, get it aligned as I like it, and tighten it back down. It sounds way more complicated than it is. I too had to file the topdeck slightly so I could run larger pinions. I can't imagine it would affect anything. At least it's only a $12 part.

Are there 416 specific toe blocks yet, or will the 415 versions be what everybody uses? I'm glad to know I'm not the only one having trouble with the rear hub ballstuds coming out easily. It does seem to make a difference if you're very careful when threading them in (only thread it once) and don't overtighten.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I moved to the inter hole on the rear hub yesterday and it seemed to give the car more steering. I was using the longest hole in the inboard end.

BBB

Originally Posted by Apex
One thing I noticed is that using the outer holes is better for more open smooth layouts and the inner holes for tighter twistier tracks. It's just a matter of finding the right balance.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by StickyFingaz
Concluded my first race meeting yesterday on a prepped asphalt surface. The car was awesome...

Ran the car in 10.5 (19T) and 13.5 (Stock) classes. I had to file off a little bit of the top deck (inner) to fit a larger pinon for stock, but other than that it was a pretty smooth day. One funny quirk, though, is that i had remove the four screws that mount the back of the top plate so I could access the pinion grub.

Ran the car with Sorex 32's and a one way in both classes. Amazing corner speed!! Reduced the rear toe to about 2deg and the car was just the perfect balance of sidebite through corners but free at the same time (I like a little bit of a looser feeling for the car, especially in the lower hp classes).

I stripped out the rear uprights though with a small side hit. Simple fix - running the inner holes until I find spares/buy the Square ones that will probably come out.

The car is amazing. I'm a believer...
mind posting details of your setup? cheers buddy
Old 03-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Fastforward
What size pinions are you able to do this with? Up to 50? (I'm running a 17.5)

BBB
Mr. Bad,

I think it depends on the size of the spur. I was able to do something like 100/50 yesterday with no problems. It appears you can file it as much (or as little) as needed to get the clearance you desire.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello,
these are the Square STA-36FS ones:

Nearly sold out, because the plastic ones are difficult to get at the moment.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Hey Ed, question for ya. Steering ackermann. More steering. Where do you move the ball stud on the steering knuckle, front or back? More steering on the steering rack... front or back? Just looking for your opinion to see if I'm getting it right on this car. It seems to be alittle opposite maybe from when I had an XRay.

RCMarket, I may have to get those Square knuckles. Play with the different ackermann hole on there.
ok instock !
Old 03-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

I agree, RCMARKET is a pleasure to order from. I just have to make sure it's a big order, shipping to the states isn't cheap!

Do these Square knuckles allow you to use foam tires like the stock 416 knuckles? The shape seems different.

I really hope for some rear uprights next, I've had trouble with the ballstud coming loose with any minor side impact.
we shipping cost is by post office !

or other co. use other shipping co. TNT ...
Old 03-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sakaguchinet
Hello,

around next weekend back stock
Old 03-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Lord

Hello,

Sold out at RCMARKET. Get more soon!
Old 03-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

Hello,

thats because i bought a few

rcmarket didn't have all things i ordered in stock but shipped the rest of the order quite fast though...

tomorrow shipping next will?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

These are the ones I got BBB!
Old 03-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Champion

if any support can pm with me !

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.