Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #1486
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
Square
New Alum. Front Upright
Oooh snap! Where's the aluminum rear upright?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #1487
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Oooh snap! Where's the aluminum rear upright?
not have
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #1488
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
not have
do want!
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #1489
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
do want!
no brand name posted release this product in this moment !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #1490
Tech Regular

Quote:
do want!
Me want
Andyg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #1491
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Right, Just got back from a good practise session at our local track. Had a chance to run through a load of settings, and also ran two different classes in the same evening (5cell mod and 10.5/LiPo). Thankfully, given the track was only laid this evening, there was plenty of grip from the off. We normally spend a good hour skidding around before the grip comes up.

Started out with the 5cell, as I still had it mounted in the car from last weekend. Kept a similar setup too (slightly lower roll centres, and added anti-dive to the front), and the car felt good, although still struggling a little for steering.
Decided to see what Viktor Wilcks setup from the DHI was like (Here, although I used Much More 450 and 550 oils, instead of the Losi oil). I'll admit, I was really suspect about how that setup worked, as every time I've taken the bars off the car, it's felt, well, shite... how wrong was I!

Simply put, the car was very good, loads more steering, and just felt like it was carrying speed really well. I guess that reducing the amount of droop helped compensate for the lack of bars. If anything, it was a little sliddy if I chucked the car in. Not snappy, but a progressive slide. Maybe slightly lighter rear oil (say 500wt) might do the trick to stop that, but if I nailed the line right it was awesome.... sufice to say, I'm a little hooked on modified currently

So, happy with how the car was in mod, thought it was about time to throw in my 10.5 and LiPo, and get ready for tomorrow. Also brought made sure the car was up to class legal weight (1500g, rather than 1400ish)... and this is where it gets interesting.
It seems that with the extra weight on board, the car starts to wag/wave it's front wheels in the air when accelerating hard whilst turning.... not quick. Car also felt a little odd, snapping round if changing direction quickly, like it was hitting the bump stops on occasion. Pretty much, I put this down to the reduced amount of droop all round.

So came in, and adjusted the droop back to the previous level (5F, 4R on gauge), and went back out. No more wheel wagging... but urgh. Car lacked response, and just seemed to be rolling over on itself, like I had experienced before.
Cue next change, putting the bars back on . Went to medium f/r... now we're talking. Much better, carrying good corner speed, and felt much like with the 5cell pack in...

Makes me think that with a lighter car, you can get away without running the bars, and use less droop to compensate. Figures, as a car with a lower amount of weight is going to roll less.
When going to 6 cell... it's better to use the bars, with a little more droop.

I'm going to make up a pair of shocks with 500wt for tomorrow, and try them on the back of the car. Also going to run through the front shock mountings, see if I can see any difference between holes 1 and 2 on the arms.

Still, good thing is, I know how well that will translate to my stock setup next weekend (3 classes in 3 weekends, with the same car... is that wise?? ). I'll keep it as is, just whack the roll centres right up, and throw in a one way... easy

I would also like to try some front arm sweep in preperation for next weekend as well, but if I want to do that, I've got to switch to C/B on the front, and I wonder if that might be too narrow. Althoughm, having said that, have heard good things about that combo on the front end... right Nathan?
I've got a Serpent 3.0 block for the S400 on the way, which is the same width (near as dammit) as a C block, so next weekend I'll play with D/C and C/C if I need more steering on a big track.

Cheers
Ed

Last edited by TryHard; 03-01-2008 at 03:57 PM.
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #1492
Tech Elite

You playing with a 3.5 mod? I think I need to start practicing with a mod and 5cell. But on asphalt. I really don't want to run stock at the Nats. Mod just seems sooo much more fun. Hmmmmmm..... What to do.... What to do.....

Good report Ed... Keep us posted.

Yokomo YRX12
Yokomo YZ-2 DT/CA
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #1493
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
You playing with a 3.5 mod? I think I need to start practicing with a mod and 5cell. But on asphalt. I really don't want to run stock at the Nats. Mod just seems sooo much more fun. Hmmmmmm..... What to do.... What to do.....

Good report Ed... Keep us posted.
Actually, I'm not using a 3.5... only a lowly 4.5. But having said that, I certainly wasn't lacking straightline last weekend, versus plenty of others with 3.5's. I figure that because most indoor tracks are relatively small, running a slightly less powerful motor isn't really a bad thing...just means you can make more use of the power, more of the time

Still a 3.5 would be a laugh... if I do mod at the nationals this year, I'll be getting a 3.5 And yes... it's a right laugh, the lower weight just makes the cars so much nicer, and if anything easier, to drive. I really expected to struggle loads when running it recently (last weekend was the first time I ever ran 5cell b/l)... but I found it really easy to adapt to the speed. Doesn't mean I'm any good, but put it this way... I didn't have to pick up any bits of tamiya from the track

I'll keep posting away, still loads to learn with the car, but thats part of the fun... even in all the years of running the 415, there were some settings I just left alone

Cheers
Ed
Old 03-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #1494
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 416

Hello, Looking for the internal ratio for the 416, Any help please. Thanks
Gone Racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #1495
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Racin View Post
Hello, Looking for the internal ratio for the 416, Any help please. Thanks
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #1496
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

tryhard: hi just want to ask what lipo are you using? thanks
bmmer701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #1497
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 416

Thank you Travis for the info.
Gone Racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #1498
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I just finished putting together my 416 and can't wait to get some wheel time.

I am running in a brushless 13.5 class with lipo's so I went and got the EzLipo plate found PPD EZ-LiPo --TC5 and beyond LiPo mounting Solution. I attached a couple pic's because I thought it turned out nice.

Anyone have a good rubber carpet, brushless/lipo setup to use. It is a good size track with good traction.

Should I run sway bars? Or should I just try it out and see how it goes without them first? Any spring/shock oil recommendations?

I did get the shorter arms and installed them since that seems to be what everyone is doing but any other advise for me would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-trf416ezlipo.jpg   Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-trf416.jpg   Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-trf416lipo.jpg  
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:00 AM   #1499
Tech Elite

Hey Travis, wrap a small piece of electrical tape around the top deck where the Pos wire comes out of the battery. Just for safety sake. The battery could short out or cause glitching if it comes in contact with it. Or a side impact could push the wire into it. Look up one of TryHard's setups on his website. He has a couple on there from him and a few other drivers.

Yokomo YRX12
Yokomo YZ-2 DT/CA
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:56 AM   #1500
Tech Regular

Make sure the car is the correct weight, that is how it has been designed, so less weight does not always mean better ....
Andyg01 is offline   Reply With Quote