R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Old school LaTrax Mustang Cobra II

I'm looking for more information on my first RC car: The LaTrax Mustang Cobra II.

This RC car had the price and quality of a Radio Shack type of RC car with one exception: It had variable steering. Forward and reverse was either on or off, but this car had variable steering! That was unheard of in Radio Shack RC cars. I quickly fell in love with this car and drove it silly. Hours and hours. Eventually, the car started steering in one direction more than the other. Slowly it got worse and worse. Then my father took me to a real RC race night at the local Monroe County club in Webster, NY. We were hoping that some of the RC racers could help to fix the problem, but of course, this was on the toy level compared to what they were using, and nobody knew how to adjust the circuit board. A few days later, since I had nothing to lose, I started messing with the 4 variable pots on the circuit board and fixed it myself. But after seeing the real RC cars racing, I was hooked!

Sadly, all I have left, over the years, is the body. The rims had given out eventually, beyond repair. I went back to my local hobby shop to get parts, and was shocked to hear that he had a few brand new in the box, but had recently thrown them out in the dumpster because they were toys and a pain to service! I ran to dumpster, but they were long gone.

Anyway, I'd love to know more about this LaTrax company. Eventually, I'd like to make a custom chassis for this body to drive it once again. (It's slightly smaller than a 1/12th chassis.)

The real thing:

Last edited by James35; 09-11-2007 at 06:31 PM.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Not sure about the RC version, but the Aussie version Cobra is much sexier
Attached Thumbnails
Old school LaTrax Mustang Cobra II-xc_cobra3.jpg  
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I think RC CAR has a vintage column that did a article on a latrax car, maybe a jeep or jeep like vehicle. Try emailing them, or look at tamiyaclub.com, they have tons of old cars on there besides Tamiya. Actually, they have a lot of stuff I have never even heard of...
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Tech Rookie
Default i got one if you want it

the hood scoop, grille, and the rear louvers are missing, but everything else is there. don't know if it works, no reason it wouldn't, but it's been sitting in the attic for 30 years. rechargeable battery packs and a trailer, all laTrax.

if you cover the shipping, it's yours.

jtmdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Oh yeah!! I'd LOVE that! I'll send you an email. Thanks!
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote