R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   What is the deal with GT7's (PROBLEM) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/18088-what-deal-gt7s-problem.html)

J.Gonzalez 05-12-2003 09:24 AM

What is the deal with GT7's (PROBLEM)

I went against the advice of most of the local racers and purchased a gt7 as I have always had good luck with Novak products.

Well not this time.

Many local racers stated they were having glitching.performance problems and total melt downs were common.

I assumed that the product has now been out long enough that they would have worked out the bugs.

I put the speedo in my car and it glitched like never before and the car had poor performance...well I swithced electronics around, changed recv, change motors..still glitched.

Funny thing is the new factory driver for Novak had same problems and pulled speedo out of his car and switched it for another makers version and all problems were solved!!

I did the same under his suggestion and put my old C2 back in and what do you know the car was fine.

What is everyone experience with the gt7 is their a general problems with the product??

I sent the speedo back today with not so nice letter to novak.

John Fontaine 05-12-2003 09:32 AM

I'm sorry to hear that, i have been using my GT7 in my xray for almost a year now with no problems. I would be mad if I was you too, mostly due to the high price of these ESC's. I'm glad mine has been working flawlessly.

mike_Webb 05-12-2003 09:33 AM

I got the GT7 right when it came out. Have not had one problem with it. People say that they have melted it, glitching and all sorts of problems. I have not had one. I ran 3 back to back packs through my B4 with a 8x2 in it and the speed controller was hot but performed flawlessly. I also ran it in my TC3 all winter with no problems. Ran it back to back down at snowbirds running a pack in Stock Practice, Changed out to 19 turn and ran a pack and then chaged out to a 7x1 for the heck of it and ran it and had no problems...even though I left the setting to Stock Aggessive for the Mod. :)

mike_Webb 05-12-2003 09:35 AM

Did you make sure that your Big Cap was fully conencted? I know one guy at snowbirds was having problems with his and they reseated the Big Cap and all his trobles went away. Also make sure to run the Scottie sp on the motor.

J.Gonzalez 05-12-2003 09:47 AM

Originally posted by mike_Webb
Did you make sure that your Big Cap was fully conencted? I know one guy at snowbirds was having problems with his and they reseated the Big Cap and all his trobles went away. Also make sure to run the Scottie sp on the motor.
I always run all capacitors and diodes...when you say reseated the cap what do you mean...just resolder it as it comes factory installed.

mike_Webb 05-12-2003 09:49 AM

I guess... All I know is that they messed around with the cap and either reseated it or re-soldered it. I put a plug on mine when I got it so that if I wanted to run a smaller cap I could.

CGR 05-12-2003 09:57 AM

I have 2 of them and they both work great.

komkit 05-12-2003 11:36 AM

I guess... All I know is that they messed around with the cap and either reseated it or re-soldered it. I put a plug on mine when I got it so that if I wanted to run a smaller cap I could.

Webb, I think the latest GT7 come with Pwr Cap installed. The other end of the wires are inside the case.

My GT7 came with factory Pwr cap installed and the casing is the old solid Orange colour not the see-thru one.

ottoman 05-12-2003 11:42 AM

I saw my friends GT7 melt down... looked pretty cool... problem was it was a replcement for his first one. That one kept shutting off if you hit a corner dot. I have seen a couple others with problems also. I am going to wait a little longer untill I hear they worked out the early problems before I buy one.

komkit 05-12-2003 11:47 AM

I got the GT7 right when it came out. Have not had one problem with it. People say that they have melted it, glitching and all sorts of problems. I have not had one. I ran 3 back to back packs through my B4 with a 8x2 in it and the speed controller was hot but performed flawlessly. I also ran it in my TC3 all winter with no problems. Ran it back to back down at snowbirds running a pack in Stock Practice, Changed out to 19 turn and ran a pack and then chaged out to a 7x1 for the heck of it and ran it and had no problems...even though I left the setting to Stock Aggessive for the Mod. :)

I am with you Webb, I have seen Andrew Gray pushing the envelop on his GT7 with 8X1, 7X1. I never saw he having any problems.. In fact 8X1 and 7X1 is all he's run.

I too, I am been using Novak since 1997, never have a problem.

J.Gonzalez 05-12-2003 12:50 PM

who knows maybe mine was just a dud....It always a big let down when you purchase a new product and it does not work correctly.

DaveW 05-12-2003 02:35 PM

The only problem i seem to have with the GT7 is how SMOOOOTH it is! You have to run an agressive profile and a single wind to feel like the car has any balls. Mine gets "warm"... but have yet to glitch or "flame out" with one. Actually seems to make the TC3 an easier car to drive..as agressive as it can be. Just my .02

:blush: - Dave

JDM_DOHC_SiR 05-12-2003 02:47 PM

Originally posted by CGR
I have 2 of them and they both work great.

Same here not one problem to this day and I run some Hot winds too:sweat: 7x1 & 6x2 without a single problem:nod:
thinking about getting one more for my B4;)

-Dave:sneaky:

ZER01 05-12-2003 02:53 PM

You could have missed a step in programming the ESC to the radio. Both of my GT7's work great.

Neil Rabara 05-12-2003 03:53 PM

I've lost count of all the GT-7's that melted here at SoCal. The advantage that we have here is that Bob Novak and Tyree Phillips race here and we have the factory support from them directly. Brian Kinwald melted a couple, Andrew Gray (before he left) melted one, and a couple other factory guys I've heard about but not actually seen melted some also. If you get a chance to look at Brian Kinwald's car, you'll see his elaborate setup to cool his GT7. Novak is a great company and I use their chargers, but I do have reservations on this particular speedo.