Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Personal Transponder + Heatsink Fans... >

Personal Transponder + Heatsink Fans...

Personal Transponder + Heatsink Fans...

Old 09-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)
Default Personal Transponder + Heatsink Fans...

My receiver only has two channels....

Having put off purchasing a personal transponder for a few months now (I have a policy of only buying things that I feel will make me faster), I finally buckled and bought one this last race. I have to say, it was kind of cool to not lug that huge transponder on my body. HA...

Anyway, I have a motor heatsink/fan coming in in a few days. If I use a Y splitter to split the battery terminal on my receiver, would it sufficiently power both the fans (cool can fan has dual fans) and the personal transponder? I'm kind of stressing over this b/c I don't want to have to buy another receiver/radio system... Thx.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Solder the fan wires to the speedo + and - terminals. Also means that when you plug your battery in they start automatically and stay on until you unplug them.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)

I thought about that - I hardwire though, so I kinda would like to forego that option. Thanks anyway...
Old 09-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Oh right ok......you could get a servo extension lead. Solder the extension lead to the speedo terminals then when your ready plug the fan into the extension lead.

http://www.apexmodels.com/product-search.php , look down the righthand side for Search and type in 'lead'. The first thing that comes up should be a 'Futaba Servo Extension Lead'.

Charles
Old 09-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
Oh right ok......you could get a servo extension lead. Solder the extension lead to the speedo terminals then when your ready plug the fan into the extension lead.

http://www.apexmodels.com/product-search.php , look down the righthand side for Search and type in 'lead'. The first thing that comes up should be a 'Futaba Servo Extension Lead'.

Charles
Thats a good idea!

I wonder though, couldnt you solder the fan wire where the on/off wires are soldered on to? then when you switch on, the fan should come on

Or just put a switch on the fan its self being soldered to the speed neg/pos
Old 09-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StickyFingaz
My receiver only has two channels....

Having put off purchasing a personal transponder for a few months now (I have a policy of only buying things that I feel will make me faster), I finally buckled and bought one this last race. I have to say, it was kind of cool to not lug that huge transponder on my body. HA...

PTs will make you faster! The lighter weight, plus the ability to mount them lower (in less accessable spots) will lower your overall weight and lower your CG. The lower weight will give you a better power to weight ratio and the lower CG will allow you to turn harder without fear of rolling over. Plus, not having to remember to put it in, or take it out every heat makes it a great pit-time saver, allowing you to peak your batteries later keeping their voltage up.

-Frank