Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Get me back upto speed >

Get me back upto speed

Get me back upto speed

Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Get me back upto speed

I have been out of electric carpet racing for 4 years and I plan on running foam and some rubber tire indoor carpet. I am looking for a chassis / speedo / battery setup that will allow me to compete in stock, 19 turn and the occasional mod class. I have a kinda tight budget, so I would like to stay with a mainstream car. Whats hot and good. We are allowed to run lipo's at the track I am going to be running at if that is the preferred battery. Thanks, let me know where my money is best spent.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Start by kissing budget goodbye.

But to day dream away, I would do this.

Orion Platinum 4800's (2 packs).
Checkpoint charger.
Radio shack 15 amp power supply.
Novak GTB, with a 13.5 a 10.5 and a 5.5 motor. All with sintered rotors, a must have.
The new Losi type-R sedan.
With Parma Alfa body painted red. (Color optional)
A JR Z-1 radio with a Z-9000s JR high speed high torque servo.
(I like the white antenna straws, but there hard to find).
Foams I like the Parmas. Or the GQ's those 2 brands of foam tires hold on to the wheel to the bitter end.
For Rubber I like the Sorex. I like to mix compounds and put my preferred inserts in.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Any new current mainstream TC will be in the $300+ range. What I see mostly at my track is a mix of XRay T2's, Schumacher Mi3's, my lonely Associated TC5, and a Corally RDX.

As usual, try to buy from your LHS where you will be running your car at. They can tell you what is most common and popular among the racers, which has the benefit of input and feedback from other racers to help you get setup.

For batteries and motors, my local track is fairly open, allowing us to run Lipo and Brushless 13.5 motors in Stock 27T. Almost all run the Novak GTB and SS 13.5 motor system, with about 50/50 mix of Nimh/Lipo batts.

As to Radio's, we are seeing many people converting to DSM equipment. It is a joy to be turn on your radio and car w/o worrying about what channel who is on.

If you read through the forums about Lipo batts and BL motors, you will find that the consensus is that over time, you will save money, but spend more up front. Not needing to do motor maintenance or maintain 4+ battery packs for a race day sure makes racing a little more fun.

Good luck and welcome back!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:05 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I wouldn't hesitate to go with a TC5. At only $350, with carpet chassis and setup ready to go, you will be impressed with the quality and handling out of the box for atleast $100 cheaper than the other brands. It also includes sway bars and all of the roll center adjusters needed. Only a couple sets of springs, a Parma Mohawk, and some tires, and you'll be ready to go. I would go with the GTB for sure, and 2.4 is highly suggested. From all accounts, the Futaba system is the best, and they sell a version of their radio that is transmitter only so you won't have to spend the extra on a module/RX that you won't use. Novak also has a GTB programmed specifically for 2.4 Ghz Technology, so I would go with that. Although I haven't run the 10.5, or 13.5 yet, I have run the 3.5 Orion Vortex Motor. I would suggest for mod that a 5 cell setup is the best. If you want to stay with 6 cells across the board, I might go with a slow motor for mod, maybe a 4.5. All the Vortex Motors have sintered rotors, so no worries there. The popular servo seems to be the Futaba 9550, as it is Low profile, light and strong.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

I have a spektrum radio, I have never used, so hopefully it will last me a bit. The guys I race with reccomended 4200 batteries and a co27 stock motor. I really would rather have what is going to be competitive on the track.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigemike
I have a spektrum radio, I have never used, so hopefully it will last me a bit. The guys I race with reccomended 4200 batteries and a co27 stock motor. I really would rather have what is going to be competitive on the track.
Stock brushed that is about the best motor going right now. If you are going to do 4200's I would go EP over IB right now since you need to have a really good maintenance program going to keep IB's decent. If you are allowed Lipo, then go that route.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by bigemike
I have been out of electric carpet racing for 4 years and I plan on running foam and some rubber tire indoor carpet. I am looking for a chassis / speedo / battery setup that will allow me to compete in stock, 19 turn and the occasional mod class. I have a kinda tight budget, so I would like to stay with a mainstream car. Whats hot and good. We are allowed to run lipo's at the track I am going to be running at if that is the preferred battery. Thanks, let me know where my money is best spent.
Xray, JRXS-R, TC5 any of these will be great, sounds like you have a radio to start with so no probs there. Do yourself a favor and and go brushless its way ahead of the curve and will allow you more time to get your driving skills back up to speed. If your going to use Li-Po(also recomended) make sure you get a GTB esc that has Li-Po cutoff.

Chris
Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

where is the best place to get, tc5 team, good speedo, and a couple of decent packs. I would like to get all of it with a motor (maybe a co27 and a 13.5) for about $650 shipped. and a body.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you can run LiPo you should go with the Orion 4800. It will cost you about as much as a couple 4200 6 cell packs and will last much longer. The LiPo and the brushless will save you money over the long run.

I'd check with your local track (if they have a hobby shop) and see if they can get that stuff and give you a good deal first. If not check www.stormerhobbies.com or www.towerhobbies.com or www.amainhobbies.com
Old 09-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Default I went ahead and bought

>
So I made the plunge last night after the ufc fight. I ordered a tc5, a parma mohawk lightweight body, orion charger and 4800 lipo pack, 13.5 novak motor (wanted the lrp, but not in stock), a ofna manual truer for $50 from nitro house and a touring arbor. I also picked up a sphere touring car edition and a 10 amp integy powersupply. I am there, I still need tires, paragon and track time. Thanks for the help man, now I just hope I can run my 14.6 with the rest of the stock guys. Well thanks a bunch guys.