Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
One more day at the races >

One more day at the races

One more day at the races

Old 09-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default One more day at the races

WOW, i sure did have a day LOL...running a JRX-S by the way...

Last race day of the season today. 3 Rounds, 2 Heats, 1 A Main. All heats and mains are 4 minutes long. First i was running Sorex tires with HPI molded foams and RPM rims. They hooked up pretty good, but everybody was running foams. I talked to a guy and he hooked me up with a set of foams for 8 bucks, SCORE! I tested them out, I only had 2 batteries so i could only take a few laps. They hooked up on the asfault real well! I was very happy...
First heat, I pulled in front of the pack (BTW this is my second race EVER and i'm racing against expert adults), somehow everybody one by one starts passing me...WHATS GOING ON? They were just more experienced i guess. After about 5 laps....i'm down... I'm going down the straight and my tire is draggin' behind, uh-oh. I snapped a turnbuckle. Theres a DNF for Round 1.

Second heat, start off good, I think i was getting a rhythm down. About 15 laps in, about a minute left, i hear something funky... I try to accelerate and it veers off to the right. WHATS UP?? I couldn't do anything, i only finished 2 more laps, came in last place.... bring it in to find out i lost a pin in my driveshaft? Hmmm...thats weird...I fix it up in about a half an hour while other classes are racing. I had to use a 1.5 allen key end and cut it off and the right size to make a quick replacement pin... got it all fixed up and ready to go...it seems like it will do good.

A-MAIN, last race of the day and season...
I started in dead last since i....suck. I pulled ahead pretty quickly, thanks to my MM6900. I'm in second, hold that place for about 3 laps. Then i start to veer off to the right again, WTH???? I was pissed off at this point. BUT WAIT...thats not all. I'm coming down the straight, and guess what, my MAMBA ESC is dragging behind by its cords like a bat outa hell! Marshall brings it in and is like "thats not good". I take a look and the wire that hooks up to the reciever is shaved up and is hanging on my 1 of the 3 small little cords that stick together! the on/off switch is almost off, and the case is all scratched up including the heat sink. I completed 3 laps in the main. ANOTHER DNF....On top of that my rear belt is starting to show some wear and the diff pully is chipped. I pack it up and go home..

I just got home from that race about 30 minutes ago, just letting everybody know what happened! WOW, what a (insert sarcastic voice here)blast!! But i guess it was worth it, still kind of fun to chat with people and watch other races.

-Steve
Old 09-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sounds like a normal day of racing to me.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

now thats a good day at the races ... nice to hear you still enjoy what the day had instore for you .... keep
Old 09-05-2007, 11:17 PM
R/C Tech Founder

There will always be days like that. Just goes to show why the pros spend so much time on maintenance and testing in between events, to work out all the little kinks, loose pins, bad servo tape jobs on the electronics, and so on. And even with all of that, occasionally you'll see the very same things happen to them.

Anyway, hope it doesn't discourage you.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mb racer
now thats a good day at the races ... nice to hear you still enjoy what the day had instore for you .... keep
I agree!!!! One nice day racing! My second time SUCKED!!!! But just keep going back, and keep getting set up help, and if you an drive, you will be good!

Originally Posted by futureal
There will always be days like that. Just goes to show why the pros spend so much time on maintenance and testing in between events, to work out all the little kinks, loose pins, bad servo tape jobs on the electronics, and so on. And even with all of that, occasionally you'll see the very same things happen to them.

Anyway, hope it doesn't discourage you.

Yeah, they really keep all the loose ends tied up well!

I know my first few races, all I did was get 4 laps, and then break a knuckle, c hub, arm, or something would get screwed up, and 4 races later (12 races) I finially kept my car togather the whole race! And from there I get better and better given I have the tires and all to keep going