Wiki Posts
Search

The One True 13.5 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I'm wondering why Novak is so scared of the LRP, since they seem to have made the rules of the Novak race specifically to exclude it.
I think its cuz alot of the brushed guys are still holding out. Many of them are the top club racers that have alot of influence on everyone else. So when they go to switch Novak is scared "the brushed feel" will win too many of them and have a large impact on their beloved marketshare. Combine that with butt ugly colors and whoola...Houston...you have a problem.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have a lot of respect for Novak and what they've done for brushless, but this thing with the Novak race really sours my impression of them.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Verndog
LRP 13.5 sintered vs Novak Pro 13.5 13mm

I now have had time to run both. Yesterday I ran 3 packs each motor back to back. Lap times were very close to identical...but these are still 2 different feel motors.

The Novak 13mm does have more drag brake feel then the stock 12.5mm the pro comes with...BUT...not as much as the LRP. Also the LRP still has the nod on the torque coming out of corners, while the Novak had a small amount more on top.

I recently found my temp gage to be off a good 10 degs.+ so I have a better one coming, but Novak at 4.72 and LRP at 4.87 seemed to be a real good spot for both coming off at a true 145 or so after 8 mins.

One thing I noticed, it takes some time to be able to swap back and forth and learn to drive them. After running the Novak a few weeks, then switching to the LRP I found myself scrubbing speed coming into corners. With the LRP some corners I hit neutral in the Novak, required just off neutral with the LRP or a longer delay to maintain speed.

3 of my best 4 lap times (- 2 tenths @14.5) were with the Novak, and I believe alot of that is due to I've developed a feel with this layout to that motor. I can see that with different layouts that a motor swap could provide an advantage...but I cant personally pick between them yet...except for looks the LRP has the nod...
So would you say the 13mm rotor was better than the stock rotor? I have been interested in trying one. Also I run the stock rotor at 4.68 right now on a 100X36 track. Our track has a long straight but has a technical infield (See pic). Should I go down to 4.3-4.4 with a 13mm rotor?

Last edited by PitNamedGordie; 07-18-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Verndog
I think its cuz alot of the brushed guys are still holding out. Many of them are the top club racers that have alot of influence on everyone else. So when they go to switch Novak is scared "the brushed feel" will win too many of them and have a large impact on their beloved marketshare. Combine that with butt ugly colors and whoola...Houston...you have a problem.
i went from brushed to brushless, a 13.5 pro with the regular sintered rotor and loved it. I find myself using the brakes more often than before since i guess it doesnt "drag" as much but overall i didnt feel a huge difference between brushed and brushless for stock-class racing since thats what i mainly do. I do feel the torque "upgrade" though, especially in my buggy. To each his own i suppose, though.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
So would you say the 13mm rotor was better than the stock rotor? I have been interested in trying one. Also I run the stock rotor at 4.68 right now on a 100X36 track. Our track has a long straight but has a technical infield (See pic). Should I go down to 4.3-4.4 with a 13mm rotor?
If you buy the 13mm your definately going to want to drop -.3 or so to start (about where you posted). The 13mm is also has a bit more torque coming out of turns, and temps are down consideably from the 12.5mm that the new pro comes with. I'd say it's worth the $25.00 to run and see, it's really a matter of preference, but personally I like the new rotor feel better, and there will be more gearing options with lowered temps.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The bigger the sintered rotor the more max power a BL motor can develop. I have heard that the ROAR rules are going to limit the rotor diameter to limit motor power.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by AdrianM
The bigger the sintered rotor the more max power a BL motor can develop. I have heard that the ROAR rules are going to limit the rotor diameter to limit motor power.
That sounds like a good idea for a spec class like "stock" or 19T. My gripe is that Novak came out a few days before the Novak race and said "oh yea 13mm rotor max." That number has the convenience of being the largest rotor they happen to offer, and much smaller than the only sintered rotor available for LRP's motor. Until someone from Novak explains otherwise, I can't help but feel like they bent the rules in their favor. I get that it's their race and their rules, but we've heard from Charlie from the beginning that they welcome competition, and this doesn't seem like much of a welcome. You already have to use their motor in rubber, and now they've eliminated the 1/3 (LRP) of the competition in 13.5, and limited the options for the other 1/3 (Feigao) which has, I believe, a 13.5mm rotor available. So, to me, Novak's open arms for competition is a farce. If they have a reasonable explanation, I'd love to hear it.

And even though I sound like a jerk about this, I don't mean to be. This race was setting up to be a true showdown of the 13.5 motors, with open rules for the foam classes. Now, it's just a glorified BRL* race where you can either run Novak, or the Feigao which probably won't have a prayer in its current form. Yay.

* With all due respect to BRL, which is an awesome racing league. They don't hide the fact that it's Novak only, which is fine if you call it what it is. Novak seems to be bending the rules to their advantage in this "open" race, which I think really sucks.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

.....This race was setting up to be a true showdown of the 13.5 motors, with open rules for the foam classes. Now, it's just a glorified BRL* race where you can either run Novak, or the Feigao which probably won't have a prayer in its current form. Yay.

* With all due respect to BRL, which is an awesome racing league. They don't hide the fact that it's Novak only, which is fine if you call it what it is. Novak seems to be bending the rules to their advantage in this "open" race, which I think really sucks.
I'd have to agree 100% with this. If that is really how it went down, that is a crock of crap, and further proves Novak fears of competition. How can skewing "their rules" in their favor bring any creditability to the race?

How ironic, Novak sells products to compete in competition, yet clearly shows they are afraid of it....way to lead by example.

Last edited by Verndog; 01-01-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

They asked to have motors sent for apporval for the race. No companies sent motors in to be looked at. They made the rules around their motor as that is what they had. They said that stuff will be looked at the race and if available to the public, it should be allowed. Charlie posted this in the race thread.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Company Representative

Before some of you beat Novak up over this, why not wait and see what the guys decide to do. I have a call into Bob, who is en route to the race this morning. If he is able to call me back, I will post his response here.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Legend

Tell Bob fer me ...

You R still da man !!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Before some of you beat Novak up over this, why not wait and see what the guys decide to do. I have a call into Bob, who is en route to the race this morning. If he is able to call me back, I will post his response here.
Fair enough. Hopefully it's simply a misunderstanding. Thanks for trying to clear things up.

Last edited by syndr0me; 01-01-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wii have a new contender in the 13.5T

http://www.redrc.net/2008/01/roche-p...ors/#more-7144
Old 01-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by trailranger
Wii have a new contender in the 13.5T

http://www.redrc.net/2008/01/roche-p...ors/#more-7144
Na, it's just the Feigao motor with some nobody's sticker.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Na, it's just the Feigao motor with some nobody's sticker.
dude, it's purple and it's named "Prince". There's got to be at least 3-4 people that would run this Stlnlst where are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.