Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
touring cars....got any ideas? >

touring cars....got any ideas?

touring cars....got any ideas?

Old 09-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default touring cars....got any ideas?

Some friends and I run offroad alot, just bashing on construction sites or on gravel roads, there are no tracks within 100 miles of our town. We thought maybe getting some electric touring cars and running a stock or 19t spec class in a local store parking lot would satisfy our racing needs and be easier to setup and maintain then trying to make an ofroad course in the woods. we're talking cones here, possibly pvc but that's doubtful. I'm looking to own the car/motor/esc/body/tires/wheels for around $300. I'll end up putting $100 into a decent charger to help serve my nitro needs (super brain 977) for my receiver pack and my gel cell as well as for the touring car, I'll also buy 3-5 3000-4200 MAH NiMH packs for the car so I'm not going to reflect that amount in my budget. My budget minus batt/charger is $300.

I've been really looking hard atthe Cyclone S but some people have been saying it is weak and the front dogbones are not good for touring cars. The bottom line is I want handling above all else, that's all that matters in a TC. So my question to you is which do you think is more planted the Cyclone S or the TC4 (RTR is all I can get?) ? Feel free to reccomend any others, i've looked at TA05 (the R is a little pricey), 4tec [:'(] , XXX-S sport II, and some others. The only car I think I would be willing to surpass my budget for is an XRay T2R (not the more expensive ones) but they are never in stock so parts availability is a concern as well. Let me know what ya think
Old 09-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

an option might be to buy a used car ....on the Sale thread here on RCtech..
or try ebay.

you might be surprised on what deals you might end up with...

there are a few RDX's, T2s and FT TC4s posted at good prices on the threads currently.

Try go with something you can get parts for easily...especially if it's your first touring car.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

if you all get tc4's it will all come down to who is the best driver and who can set it up the best.

the tc4 is very durable and the inclosed drive train will keep the large debre from damaging the gears
Old 09-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

well I've been doing alot of reading and I've seen some people talking about belt drives and gears being torn up on open drive train vehicles when running on unprepped tracks such as parking lots.

I think that brings it down to shaft drives and the xxx-s. I think the TC4 will probably be my best option. i notice parts are still kind of expensive for it but thats not really a big deal. There seems to be a lot of good deals in the sale forum, what kind of options should I be looking for? I mean, let's say two vehicles come up fairly close in price what kind of options would seal the deal? Front one-way, carbon fiber chassis vs. tub chassis, etc.

I understand that's a broad statement and my touring noobness would be satisfied with a bone stock RTR but we're talking bang for buck and there are a million configurations possible in the sale forum so I'm just trying to get an idea for what matters and what doesn't. thanks
Old 09-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

id stay away fron carbonfiber for parking lot racing the plastic tub chassis will to fine

a fron one way will help the car tunm alot better

I run one in my tc4

the more exrta parts the better
Old 09-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Go with the TC4 or TC3................ Great for parking lot racing.........
Old 09-07-2007, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RaceAce701
id stay away fron carbonfiber for parking lot racing the plastic tub chassis will to fine

a fron one way will help the car tunm alot better

I run one in my tc4

the more exrta parts the better
I'm going to second the staying away from Carbon Fiber chassis cars and going for the Tub cars...

Actually... You all would be better off buying a Buggy and just putting street tires on them... The new generation of TC's are NOT parking lot friendly...
Old 09-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Suspended

Why buy one Just go out and jack some fool for his whip.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jiggaboojones
Why buy one Just go out and jack some fool for his whip.

real funny a-hole. nice sig to...
Old 09-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by sinisterRC
real funny a-hole. nice sig to...
Google it dawg
Old 09-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You mentioned that you and your friend bash alot with your offroads.. why would you need to got with an rtr kit. why don't you just used your gear from your off road cars.

If you are planning on racing on parking lots. what might help you out with line instead of getting some pcv piping. just go to your local firedept. and ask if they have any used unwanted hose. they useally might as sometimes they get damaged from fire. then all you have do is fill them up with sand. Just buy a 118 litter rubbar maid container to store it in.

I would go with tc4.. espcieally if you all go that route.

I know stormer has them for 244.99 if you contact them they might give you a discount if you buy more at once. like if all five of you do. just a though.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Tech Adept

I said I "don't" want to get RTR cuz I have alot of the stuff already. I think my best route is to get a nice team TC4 used with a few upgrades done to it or not. No big deal. For the average price $125 I don't see how I can go wrong!

jiggaboojones.....stay off my thread if you dont have anythign constructive to add, those stunts and behaviors are what breed racism and make the fallacies seem not so.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm with the rest of the guys, TC3 or 4 would be plum for asphalt racing. All the higher end cars are carbon and not too hot for racing on a rough surface.