R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 11-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #1441
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I have Ride soft front and rear. It took several packs for them to not be slippery on carpet. Also seem to have to sauce them a little longer than normal. Tonight was my second race on this set and they are pretty hooked up now.
dzstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #1442
Tech Regular

Some one knows were I can get the decals to replicate this body?
Ivan maybe?

Thanks
Giorgio
Old 12-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #1443
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Different tires for all types of surfaces, what are you running on.
Do you have the RIDE A or B compound ?

Before the rug at our track had a good groove in it the RIDE A was perfect, now they oversteer, I heard some of the 103 clan were using Tamiya A with RIDE A front.
Problem is, Tamiya A type rubber for the 103 is no longer in production as far as I know.
A compound front and rear. The last run I put on them seemed to hook up a bit better. On carpet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzstr View Post
I have Ride soft front and rear. It took several packs for them to not be slippery on carpet. Also seem to have to sauce them a little longer than normal. Tonight was my second race on this set and they are pretty hooked up now.
Yeah I think I need to condition them overnight in some WD40 or sauce, then just put more runs on them. THey are starting to come around.
PaintVagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #1444
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default F103 QUestions

Ok, so I got this beautiful F103 15th off another memeber here and started to put things together. I love it, it's like a simpler version of my WGT. A few questions for the 103 experts:

1) WHat is the reccomended ride height on carpet? On WGT, I run 5mm, but this sucker is pretty low.
2) I am used to riding my WGT foams almost down to the rim, but this isn't possible with 103's, at what diameter do foams become unusable? What is the optimal tire diameter?
3) Are undercarrage splitters/diffuers useful or just a cosmetic touch? I figure I can regain 1mm in clearance by removing mine.
4) What is a good rollout to shoot for if I am running a 21.5 on a medium grip carpet track?

FInally, anyone have a set of ride height adjusters they can sell me? I have 2out of the three, but I am missing the low/high setting ones. Also looking for the servo saver insert of KO servos...have a kimborough on mine now, but would like to retain the factory geometry. PM me, thanks!
dynamic_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #1445
Tech Apprentice

I just started running mine with a 21.5, no timing advance on the motor or speed control, and Im running around a 2.8 (not including wheel diameter, just gearing). I think I could probably go down to something around 2.5 before motor temp becomes a real issue.

I swapped my car to the tamiya 64 pitch gears, and Im running a 93/33 combo.

Im sure this has been covered in this thread before, but I run a bunch of negative expo on my throttle with this motor/gearing combo, its extremely punchy out of corners and was difficult for me to control. I dont know if this is typical for f1 drivers, but it was the only way to rein in this beast
Old 12-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #1446
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I'm running 36/82 with my 21.5 on carpet and it runs about 150 degrees.I have my ride height at 3mm front and rear with rubber tires.

You can get more ride height in the front if you shave off 1 to 2mm from the bottom of the spindle/uprights and if you run the spring on top of the upright just add shims to the top to keep the spring tension the same.
That's what I have.
I have also modified the rear axle adjusters and their "holes" in the side plates to further lower the axle.
I dremeled the bottom of the side plates and then added setscrews to the top of the adjusters to take up the extra slack/
I last ran 1/12 scale foams on F103 rims front and rear with a ride height of 2mm.
Gotta watch the "droop" in the T plate tho, ran the shock spring pretty stiff to keep it from draggin.
Extreme but it worked so yes, you can run your foams down pretty tiny if you really want to.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #1447
Tech Apprentice

Wow, thats significantly taller gearing than Ive tried. I might have to give it a shot and see what happens
Old 12-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #1448
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamic_e View Post

1) WHat is the reccomended ride height on carpet? On WGT, I run 5mm, but this sucker is pretty low.
2) I am used to riding my WGT foams almost down to the rim, but this isn't possible with 103's, at what diameter do foams become unusable? What is the optimal tire diameter?
1- I usually shoot for 4mm. 3mm is fine, but then you start running the fronts down to where you only get a couple runs out of them. You can get some ride height back by shaving the bottom of the knuckle, and then using a spacer on top, lowering the steering knuckle.

2-This plays into the front ride height. If I remember right, 53.4 mm fronts give a 4mm front ride height. It may actually be a bit smaller, but you can always cut the tires more if I'm wrong The rears you can run really small, like 50 or 51mm, but the cars actually run down the straight better with like 56 or 57mm tires if you run silver can. The same roll out and everything. It sounds ridiculous, but I have tried it back to back, and it just seems to roll better. This becomes huge if you run on a big track, like 90+ feet.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #1449
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Whoa

Whoa, spent an hour or two fooling with this f103 on carpet and it's on rails. Ran it with Zen Premounts and Sticky Fingers sauce. Still need to dial in the speed control and get my spur gear adaptor so i can run true 64p gears, instead of my tamiya/kimboro mishmash. Still need to work on ride height, but realized the previous owner put on f104 rear pods. I remember reading that you lose a mm of ride height from using them, so gonna drop the stock setup back on. Looks pretty though.

It feels like a slightly scaled down version of my World GT, but it looks so much cooler.
dynamic_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #1450
Tech Elite

I would say that the F103 is almost idiot proof. It was my first introduction to pan cars and I knew nothing about them, I just followed the instructions. Then with a little tweak, the car was on rails.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #1451
Tech Champion

Quote:
It feels like a slightly scaled down version of my World GT, but it looks so much cooler.
I would much rather see F1 at big races vs. WGT

Old 12-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #1452
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
Whoa, spent an hour or two fooling with this f103 on carpet and it's on rails. Ran it with Zen Premounts and Sticky Fingers sauce. Still need to dial in the speed control and get my spur gear adaptor so i can run true 64p gears, instead of my tamiya/kimboro mishmash. Still need to work on ride height, but realized the previous owner put on f104 rear pods. I remember reading that you lose a mm of ride height from using them, so gonna drop the stock setup back on. Looks pretty though.

You could also remove the rear difuser and gain more rear ride height. Glad to hear that a good car found a good home... so to speak
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #1453
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I would much rather see F1 at big races vs. WGT
+1
Old 12-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #1454
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Any opinions on shock placement-some kits have a post mount and others have the bridge mount.Some have both--I see the 15th aniv,kit has a post mount and a bridge.What does this do?I know the post inclines the shock more but how does this effect the car? Thanx in advance for your input.
ft4 MT wallet
cyclone;xxx-s;x-rayT2;crc gen xl;bmi 12rrl
GasGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #1455
Tech Champion

bridge mount = more on power steering