R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #781
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,403
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob o View Post
Ok boys and girls as promised here are the shore A ratings for the following tires;

1) Stock kit tires from the F103 aniv. kit front 20 reat 12.
2) New premounts front 25 rear 15.
The kit tires have been used and treated so i beleive that the number will probably matst the premounts if they were now.
3) HBR OP134 soft front 15
4) HBR OP139 soft rear 18.

I didn't pick up the HBR med's so I ahve no results.

Hope this helps a little.
Bob Oaks
Those numbers make a lot of sense for the F103 cars that need to push a little.

Rears always softer than the fronts.
Tamiya seems to match their sets well.

I believe the HBR Mediums (fronts at least) have an old and new compound.
Old being firmer than the new. That's just by feel and by running both of the 2 different part numbers.
Newer number feels like more steering.

I'd like to find an even firmer front tire since the car has remained loose on the new Tamiya Aliso surface.
I am going to try the kit tire from an earlier kit that I have been told is as firm as possible as far as Tamiya tires go.
Gets tested tomorrow but just by feel alone, I think the old number Med is still firmer yet not firm enough, for me anyway.

Will try to get my hands on some 40 - 45 shore Zen fronts or something similar.

Anyone else have ideas on scoring some firm front foams?

I hear 1/12 scale foams will stretch on these rims.
Whose got em and what is the firmest?

Lookin for a supplier of donuts.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #782
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,433
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

You probably want want a purple(around 40) or a double purple (depends on who's it is, but they may be 45-50).
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #783
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,403
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Thanks man,

Yeh, still searchin for my setup.

Can't believe I can't get by with the same $#!+ others were runnin.

I'm lookin to jack the fronts off the Flintstone mobile!
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #784
Tech Fanatic
 
414MPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 987
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Craig,

BTW, nice street car last Sat and Sun. Real head turner.

For a good harder front try 9804385, in stock at Tamiya. My only problem with these is they fell off very fast after 4 min or so. The car never exhibited over steer like yours did. If you want a super hard front try 53441 from the Lotus 107B. Very hard to find and a very firm front tire.
------------------------------------------------------
Bob O,

When was the last time you calibrated your Shore Meter? Mine was recently calibrated and my numbers are slightly different.

Maybe I can find the time this weekend to test all the Tamiya compounds and post the results.
------------------------------------------------------
Robk,

Can we run an F-103 and F-104 hybred in the hurricain series? I have designed, developed and built the MPH F-107 and am Jones'n to try it out soon.
__________________
Marty (TAMIYA 414M's, F-1's and Vintage Trans-Am! Is there anything else?)
** Red Dot Motors** , thanks doc....
and I guess the TA-05 IFS-R is pretty good too.....
414MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #785
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,403
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

[QUOTE=414MPH;6302359]Craig,

BTW, nice street car last Sat and Sun. Real head turner.

For a good harder front try 9804385, in stock at Tamiya.


Marty, thanks for the compliment, that car is very fun but hardly practical.
Perfect toy if you ask me, like an oversized RC car, body clips and everything!

You were gettin your car around pretty quickly last weekend but I heard that was to be expected, you been flyin these around very well for quite a while.
I'll pm you to see if you wanna give up some more tips.

I have a pair of the 9804385 tires that I just received from Tamiya yesterday.
BP Shadow gave me that same tip last week but I couldn't pull of gettin a pair to try in time for the TCS.

Those will get tortured tomorrow. Hope it's what I need.
Still seem a little softer than the 53128 3630 HBR Medium fronts (discontinued) and the 84096 3630 HBR Medium fronts (new #), but that is just by squeezin em, my 2 finger durometer gauge.

Now I gotta keep an eye out for another discontinued tire huh?
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #786
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,403
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

[
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:49 AM   #787
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,433
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414MPH View Post
Robk,

Can we run an F-103 and F-104 hybred in the hurricain series? I have designed, developed and built the MPH F-107 and am Jones'n to try it out soon.
Feel free Marty. It is open to cars which use Tamiya type rims, so Tech cars, Cross cars, TRG etc. are fine along with any Tamiyas or mutant Tamiyas

We're just trying to keep out the Corallys and HPI Super F1 type cars. The 1/10 pan car rims make a huge difference.
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #788
Tech Regular
 
Blueman Austria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 418
Default

Hy there!

Can anyone please explain the differences of the following Tamiya Sponge Tyres?

84094 F103 Sponge Tyres C 3630 Front
84095 F103 Sponge Tyres C 3645 Rear

84096 F103 HBR Medium Sponge Tires 3630 Front
84097 F103 HBR Medium Sponge Tires 3645 Rear

What 3630 and 3645 means, i already know, but wich is the softer/harder tire?

What do you guys recomend? I already tried som ZEN F 35Shore and rear 30, and i am looking for something harder.

Are these numbers (84...) new ones? Are there a the moment also other tires form Tamiya available?

Thanks for a answer in advance, greetings from Austria.

Blueman
__________________
_______________________________________________________________________
TT01, F104, TRF415MSXXMRE07, TB Evo5 Exoten, TB Evo6, TRF417v7, TRF 418........
Blueman Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #789
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,403
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueman Austria View Post
Hy there!

Can anyone please explain the differences of the following Tamiya Sponge Tyres?

84094 F103 Sponge Tyres C 3630 Front
84095 F103 Sponge Tyres C 3645 Rear

84096 F103 HBR Medium Sponge Tires 3630 Front
84097 F103 HBR Medium Sponge Tires 3645 Rear

What 3630 and 3645 means, i already know, but wich is the softer/harder tire?

What do you guys recomend? I already tried som ZEN F 35Shore and rear 30, and i am looking for something harder.

Are these numbers (84...) new ones? Are there a the moment also other tires form Tamiya available?

Thanks for a answer in advance, greetings from Austria.

Blueman
Hi Bluedude,

My recent collection of Tamiya tires and their "cards" tells me that 3645 = Rear and 3630 = Front tires. OK, duh.

Now, after having SOME of them side by side and running them:

84094 F103 Sponge Tyres C (3630, Front)= soft

84095 F103 Sponge Tyres C (3645, Rear) = soft

84096 F 103 HBR Medium Sponge Tires C (3630, Front) = firm

84097 F103 HBR Medium Sponge Tires C (3645, Rear) = firm

All the 84... series, 5 digit numbers are newer numbers.

These are updates to the older 53... series 5 digit numbers and can get confusing cuz the compounds are SIMILAR but not quite the same even though they have the same names.

Here goes, at least from what I have gathered in my collection.

53128 F-1 Front 3630 HBR Medium Sponge Tires = firm (more firm than the above 84096 although they are both described as HBR Medium)

53135 F-1 Rear 3645 HBR Medium Sponge Tires = firm

53129 F-1 Rear 3645 HBR Soft Sponge Tires = soft (not a supersoft tho)

I don't know the number for the Soft front tires cuz I never needed soft fronts.

I have only compared the old number Front HBR Mediums with the new number Front HBR Mediums and the old number is firmer with less steering.

For Rears the softest by far are the 84095 tires (above) or the 54136 Pre-Assembled wheel/tire combo. I feel they are the same compound, they work the same for me. Both still available.
They also FEEL the same as the older "Super Soft" tires.
I have all of these.

Those tires give as much rear traction as any Tamiya tire I have been able to find out about.

Pre-Assembled or Premounts are pricey but come mounted and trued on their wheels and they work but, again, they are super soft and will wear out quickly. You pay for traction!

For normal situations run them in matching sets front and rear.

For instance, Premounts front and rear are as much hook up as you can get, softer and tons of traction for low traction smooth asphalt.

The cheaper way to get this is to get the 84095 rear and the 84094 front tires and mount them yourself if you have wheels you can use. If you need wheels anyway, just get the premounts.
Again, a matching set and dialed combo.
Tamiya, in my opinion, matches their sets very well.

If you still have oversteering problems and want the firmest fronts, I think the old number 53128 HBR Mediums are the firmest but the 84096 HBR Mediums are more readily available and close to the same.

I say all this but still haven't found my great setup to get away from being loose where I run my F1 but I have settled on:

53128 Med fronts (firmest) and 84095 rears (softest).

Still searchin tho.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #790
Tech Master
 
ali_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,151
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

wat aboout tyres addictives?? any recommendations for carpet surface??
ali_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #791
Tech Master
 
downtempo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Costa Mesa
Posts: 1,857
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to downtempo
Default

sun tan lotion 4 asphault and Jack the Gripper/Paragon 4 carpet. Some use the combo of the lotion and sauce for max grip on asphault.

Careful saucing the fronts lol.
downtempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #792
Tech Master
 
ali_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,151
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

thanks dude
ali_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #793
Tech Regular
 
Blueman Austria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
Hi Bluedude,

My recent collection of Tamiya tires and their "cards" tells me that 3645 = Rear and 3630 = Front tires. OK, duh.

Now, after having SOME of them side by side and running them:

84094 F103 Sponge Tyres C (3630, Front)= soft

84095 F103 Sponge Tyres C (3645, Rear) = soft

84096 F 103 HBR Medium Sponge Tires C (3630, Front) = firm

84097 F103 HBR Medium Sponge Tires C (3645, Rear) = firm

All the 84... series, 5 digit numbers are newer numbers.

These are updates to the older 53... series 5 digit numbers and can get confusing cuz the compounds are SIMILAR but not quite the same even though they have the same names.

Here goes, at least from what I have gathered in my collection.

53128 F-1 Front 3630 HBR Medium Sponge Tires = firm (more firm than the above 84096 although they are both described as HBR Medium)

53135 F-1 Rear 3645 HBR Medium Sponge Tires = firm

53129 F-1 Rear 3645 HBR Soft Sponge Tires = soft (not a supersoft tho)

I don't know the number for the Soft front tires cuz I never needed soft fronts.

I have only compared the old number Front HBR Mediums with the new number Front HBR Mediums and the old number is firmer with less steering.

For Rears the softest by far are the 84095 tires (above) or the 54136 Pre-Assembled wheel/tire combo. I feel they are the same compound, they work the same for me. Both still available.
They also FEEL the same as the older "Super Soft" tires.
I have all of these.

Those tires give as much rear traction as any Tamiya tire I have been able to find out about.

Pre-Assembled or Premounts are pricey but come mounted and trued on their wheels and they work but, again, they are super soft and will wear out quickly. You pay for traction!

For normal situations run them in matching sets front and rear.

For instance, Premounts front and rear are as much hook up as you can get, softer and tons of traction for low traction smooth asphalt.

The cheaper way to get this is to get the 84095 rear and the 84094 front tires and mount them yourself if you have wheels you can use. If you need wheels anyway, just get the premounts.
Again, a matching set and dialed combo.
Tamiya, in my opinion, matches their sets very well.

If you still have oversteering problems and want the firmest fronts, I think the old number 53128 HBR Mediums are the firmest but the 84096 HBR Mediums are more readily available and close to the same.

I say all this but still haven't found my great setup to get away from being loose where I run my F1 but I have settled on:

53128 Med fronts (firmest) and 84095 rears (softest).

Still searchin tho.

Thanks fot the info! Thats what i am looking for....

Wich compound would you recomend as an "all purpose" combo.

medium all around, or front medium and rear soft?

Greetz Blueman
__________________
_______________________________________________________________________
TT01, F104, TRF415MSXXMRE07, TB Evo5 Exoten, TB Evo6, TRF417v7, TRF 418........
Blueman Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #794
Tech Adept
 
RonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 214
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Whats the difference between compounds of the Tamiya rc f1 reinforced slicks type A, B and integrated slicks 3640 medium?
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #795
Tech Adept
 
grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Middletown, CT
Posts: 201
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Shameless plug if anyone is looking for a F103.

Tamiya F103RM
__________________
-Jarrett
grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Tamiya F103 mild seven Australia For Sale/Trade 4 08-20-2008 12:19 AM
Tamiya F103 GT izzyracer R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 03-01-2007 04:51 PM
Tamiya F103 NIB Jspecrcr R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 11-07-2006 02:30 PM
WTB: Tamiya buggy & Tamiya f103 stuff rays_tt Australia Wanted to Buy 2 04-20-2006 07:10 AM
Tamiya F103 or F103 Parts MM-F1 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 04-24-2004 04:14 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:05 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0