R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-24-2011, 04:12 AM   #1666
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueman Austria View Post
Hy there!

First of all, a merry Christmas to all from Austria!

I have a question regarding the ZEN Foam tires

There are Front 35 and 30, and Rear 35, 30, and 25 shore available.
Aditional there are also these two available: Front HI Rubber Tires, and Rear HI Rubber Tires.

Can anybody explain wich shore they have or for wich conditions wich shores are usefull?

Greetings Rainer
The bigger the shore number the harder the tyre, so the less grip you have.

I run on carpet and for premounts I prefer the Zen tyres. I run with, depending on grip levels, 25 shore rears with 35 shore fronts, or 30 shore rears with 37 shore fronts.

Last edited by terry.sc; 12-24-2011 at 06:04 PM.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #1667
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
The bigger the shore number the harder the tyre, so the less grip you have.

I run on carpet and prefer the Zen tyres. I run with, depending on grip levels, 25 shore rears with 35 shore fronts, or 30 shore rears with 37 shore fronts.
Yes this is clear. But what are the two types (front and rear) wich are labeld with HI ?

Greetings Rainer
Old 12-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #1668
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueman Austria View Post
Yes this is clear. But what are the two types (front and rear) wich are labeld with HI ?

Greetings Rainer
They are a new tyre I haven't heard of before now. Zens website http://www.rc-zen.com describes the fronts as high grip with tendency to understeer with long life, and rears as very light weight with lots of grip with additive, but still giving good grip without additive. No indication of compound or how they compare with the rest of the range.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:42 AM   #1669
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hello fellow racers...

I am tired of the touring car scene and am thinking I might try F1/Le Mans style racing. I noticed there are a few online shops that I used regularly that still have some F103 kits and quite a few 103 parts available. I am wondering if it is worthwhile going with one or one of the other brands/cars?

I used to run an F103LM in Tamiya cup so feel I could get up to speed with an F103 more quickly than something else. I also get the feeling from reading a few other threads re:F1's that the F103 is still faster than say the F104. I am also a fan of T-Bar cars though I know that, ultimately, link rear suspension is faster.

Any thoughts/advice?... Thanks

Apple could fill a pillow case with rocks, call it the iPillow, and some people would swear it best night's sleep they've ever had!
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:00 AM   #1670
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes the F103 is still one of the fastest F1 platforms to buy, with it's short fat stubby wheel base (200mm wide) it's a demon on tight tracks! and by far my favourite F1 platform, the stock F103RM is a killer race car!

The 3 Racing F109 is a link version of the F103 with a tad longer wheel base which makes it more forgiving to drive and better suited to larger tracks, this is probably the best all round 200mm wide platform that's available.

unfortunately for 200mm guys the 180mm cars are the popular bunch and there seems to be a push towards people racing 180mm cars Tamiya F104, HPI F10 etc.

So it appears the logical thing to do is invest in a good 180mm platform..

Tamiya F104 Pro
Tamiya F104X1
Tamiya F104 w/ Exotek EXO104 or Exotek F1R
HPI F10 (apparently not very competitive although Mike Kennedy has made his F10 w/Exotek chassis do very well indeed)

I've personally got both platforms F103RM and EXO104 both of which are great!
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #1671
Tech Regular

Quote:
They are a new tyre I haven't heard of before now. Zens website http://www.rc-zen.com describes the fronts as high grip with tendency to understeer with long life, and rears as very light weight with lots of grip with additive, but still giving good grip without additive. No indication of compound or how they compare with the rest of the range.
THX for the Info!

Greetings Rainer
Old 12-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #1672
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Better keep an eye on the 3Racing FGX. Seems as though everyone (top of the food chain guys) here in the UF1 Series is gettin em. Pretty damn cool car and already competive with minimal time in racer's hands.
I hope I don't have to get one though cuz I need a new chassis like a hole in the head!
Old 12-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #1673
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
I hope I don't have to get one though cuz I need a new chassis like a hole in the head!
What are you gonna do when this comes out?
+1 on the FGX, I have one, another at my track runs right with the F103 anni. Front end is brittle. Good car, but don't know how fast it can get. F103 still king.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #1674
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAu View Post
Hello fellow racers...

I am tired of the touring car scene and am thinking I might try F1/Le Mans style racing. I noticed there are a few online shops that I used regularly that still have some F103 kits and quite a few 103 parts available. I am wondering if it is worthwhile going with one or one of the other brands/cars?

I used to run an F103LM in Tamiya cup so feel I could get up to speed with an F103 more quickly than something else. I also get the feeling from reading a few other threads re:F1's that the F103 is still faster than say the F104. I am also a fan of T-Bar cars though I know that, ultimately, link rear suspension is faster.

Any thoughts/advice?... Thanks
First of all depends on what others are racing locally, and what rules they race to. For example in the US the narrow F104s are the only ones everyone seems to race while everywhere else seems to run the wide cars making the F104 cars uncompetitive.

Nothing wrong with the F103, Tamiya are still producing them but even though they are as fast as anything else out there everyone will go for other cars as they are seen as a simple and old design.
I used to run the F109 but never got on with the handling, replaced it with an F103 and went much better thanks to the car suiting my driving.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #1675
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
unfortunately for 200mm guys the 180mm cars are the popular bunch and there seems to be a push towards people racing 180mm cars Tamiya F104, HPI F10 etc.

So it appears the logical thing to do is invest in a good 180mm platform..
Depends on what's big where you race as narrow cars seem to be a US thing. For example in the UK if you decide to run in the modern narrow rubber class you will find it pretty lonely, last years BRCA national 180mm class managed to attract just one single entry at one round. Almost everyone runs 200mm retro foam thanks to the F109 being by far the most popular chassis (as in 4/5 cars being F109s!) thanks to its cheap price and easy access to spares. If you want to run foams on the narrow car in the UK you will be racing with the wide cars, so no point in using an F104.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #1676
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
First of all depends on what others are racing locally, and what rules they race to. For example in the US the narrow F104s are the only ones everyone seems to race while everywhere else seems to run the wide cars making the F104 cars uncompetitive.
At the moment I don't know what most are using as I won't get a chance to visit until the new year... but based on the rules I know that, at this stage, the FGX would be illegal as independent rear suspension's aren't permitted but seems pretty much anything else F1 is allowed... and its quite a big track with very long straights...

Apple could fill a pillow case with rocks, call it the iPillow, and some people would swear it best night's sleep they've ever had!
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #1677
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Why not build yourself a F104W??
I did and it run's great
Only thing you need is the front suspension arms of the F103 with steering blocks and the wheels and tires.
Because of the longer wheelbase it is a bit easier then the F103 in corners.
For the rest it drives like a F103.

regards Roy

Quote:
. For example in the US the narrow F104s are the only ones everyone seems to race while everywhere else seems to run the wide cars making the F104 cars uncompetitive.

Nothing wrong with the F103, Tamiya are still producing them but even though they are as fast as anything else out there everyone will go for other cars as they are seen as a simple and old design.
I used to run the F109 but never got on with the handling, replaced it with an F103 and went much better thanks to the car suiting my driving.
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #1678
Tech Regular

I'll be racing an exotek 104w in 2012! Although I'm considering making it narrow for a challenge

Quote:
Depends on what's big where you race as narrow cars seem to be a US thing. For example in the UK if you decide to run in the modern narrow rubber class you will find it pretty lonely, last years BRCA national 180mm class managed to attract just one single entry at one round. Almost everyone runs 200mm retro foam thanks to the F109 being by far the most popular chassis (as in 4/5 cars being F109s!) thanks to its cheap price and easy access to spares. If you want to run foams on the narrow car in the UK you will be racing with the wide cars, so no point in using an F104.
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #1679
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
Why not build yourself a F104W??
I did and it run's great
Only thing you need is the front suspension arms of the F103 with steering blocks and the wheels and tires.
Because of the longer wheelbase it is a bit easier then the F103 in corners.
For the rest it drives like a F103.

regards Roy
Or ShadowAu could just go for the F109. The layout, wheelbase and width of an F104W but with link suspension for less than half the price. It also has the ability to run a lower rear axle so you can run F103 tyres for longer as they wear. If you are running on a big track then the longer wheelbase will help stability.
A lot depends on spare parts availability, I know a lot of my Australian friends buy from Hong Kong as they are faster and cheaper than Australian shops.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #1680
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastc View Post
What are you gonna do when this comes out?
Wait for the F104 LINK to come out.LOL
bakaguyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links