R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #1621
Tech Addict
 
JamesHealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 556
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys.

I've recently purchased an F103 which I'm really enjoying I'm yet to take it to a track I've just been trying to get the setup right by a few testing runs down at the local Tennis court.

I've noticed that I've got a lot of oversteer off throttle but hardly any on power steering or grip.

I think the car is pushing I'm not 100% sure but that's what I looks like and feels like.

Any setup tips to get away from this?

My setup below it's an F103RM:

3 Racing Alloy Diff (Loose setting)
3 Racing Carbon Fiber Lower Deck
GPM Alloy Top Deck
Yeah Racing Shock, (3 Piston, Black Spring, 20 Oil)
Yeah Racing Alloy Motor Mount, Centre, No Off Set
3mm Tightened up on the Friction Damper w/ Associated Diff Lube on
Front rubber roll O'ring, tightened.
Rear rubber roll O'ring, loose.
Tamiya Foam Tires.
TRG Advance Wings
HPI Saturn 20T Motor
HPI 6kg High Torque Servo



I've adjusted for a touch of Toe out for a test run tomorrow, anyone advise against this?
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #1622
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,500
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

What front spring do you run? If Tamiya, start with black (stiffest) and work from there. You have Tamiya foams, but which ones?

#1 thing is tires. Also, do you use additive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
Hey guys.

I've recently purchased an F103 which I'm really enjoying I'm yet to take it to a track I've just been trying to get the setup right by a few testing runs down at the local Tennis court.

I've noticed that I've got a lot of oversteer off throttle but hardly any on power steering or grip.

I think the car is pushing I'm not 100% sure but that's what I looks like and feels like.

Any setup tips to get away from this?

My setup below it's an F103RM:

3 Racing Alloy Diff (Loose setting)
3 Racing Carbon Fiber Lower Deck
GPM Alloy Top Deck
Yeah Racing Shock, (3 Piston, Black Spring, 20 Oil)
Yeah Racing Alloy Motor Mount, Centre, No Off Set
3mm Tightened up on the Friction Damper w/ Associated Diff Lube on
Front rubber roll O'ring, tightened.
Rear rubber roll O'ring, loose.
Tamiya Foam Tires.
TRG Advance Wings
HPI Saturn 20T Motor
HPI 6kg High Torque Servo



I've adjusted for a touch of Toe out for a test run tomorrow, anyone advise against this?
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:01 AM   #1623
Tech Addict
 
JamesHealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 556
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

They're the kit foams I believe, no additive.
I'm using the black springs on the Adjustable Link type front.

Do you have any suggestions for tires and additives?
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #1624
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,864
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Are you in the states or overseas? When you run at the track is it indoors on carpet or outdoors on asphalt. running on the tennis court will help you in the general direction but. If your in the state try some coppertone 45-50 lotion (the white stuff) put it on the rear tires and let it soak for 15-30 minutes and wipe off. put it down and it down and rub into tires and run.
__________________
Team Epic/Trinity -Michael Bruce Hobbies-Team CRC ,Kimbrough Products and GForce.
WGT-R, GT Racing USA (17.5 foam), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #1625
Tech Addict
 
JamesHealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 556
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I'm in good olde blighty mate.. (England).

I'll look around for that additive.
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #1626
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,500
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
They're the kit foams I believe, no additive.
I'm using the black springs on the Adjustable Link type front.

Do you have any suggestions for tires and additives?
Kit foams are like a gray or yellow type rubber, vs. the Tamiya HBR which is more like purple or pink, which would be what you want for asphalt or tarmac. If you can get 1/12 donuts those will be perfect for the rims. Otherwise, several Japanese aftermarket companies make donuts as well (ZEN comes to mind) rated by shore.

The off power oversteer kind of makes sense with the link front end. As the car dives, you're getting camber gain. The regular sliding kingpin might be better for you, not sure. One thing you might try would be adding a sedan hex spacer on the very front suspension screw, between the wing and the lower arm. You can try 1mm or .5mm. This will add some caster to the car, which will help the steering feel. It should also steer a little more on power and less off power into the turn.

Bullfrog covered the additive, and you may also want to try Paragon FXII 10 minutes before you apply the sunscreen.
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #1627
Tech Addict
 
JamesHealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 556
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I took the car down to the tennis court again today.

I'd adjusted for a bit more "toe out" and it had lots of steering on and off the power which was fantastic! It was very lively but I think with some practice I can get used to it setup like this..

Another thing I did was to remove any damper grease from the friction damper and just run it a bit tighter relying on the friction of the plates alone, this seemed to work for me.

If anything now it's over steering a bit but, I could get it to do what I wanted just driving smoother and less aggressive.
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #1628
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,986
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Weight at the rear pod (e.g. steel axle 30gm, lead weights 50gms) might help.
__________________
www.rccartips.com
www.f1rccars.com
www.f1rcclub.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:23 AM   #1629
Tech Adept
 
connyw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SWEDEN
Posts: 181
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Someone who wants to sell me a F103 shipped to Sweden?
a rolling chassis or complete
I have PayPal.

Pitctures on
connyw@bredband.net

Thanks!
__________________
HB Ve8 / HPI Blitz ESE / Futaba 4PKs
T3 2011 / F1 F104Pro /Hpi Cup Racer

Last edited by connyw; 09-18-2011 at 11:49 AM.
connyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #1630
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
I took the car down to the tennis court again today.

I'd adjusted for a bit more "toe out" and it had lots of steering on and off the power which was fantastic! It was very lively but I think with some practice I can get used to it setup like this..

Another thing I did was to remove any damper grease from the friction damper and just run it a bit tighter relying on the friction of the plates alone, this seemed to work for me.

If anything now it's over steering a bit but, I could get it to do what I wanted just driving smoother and less aggressive.
just one thing if you want to buy new tires ->

if u don't need to run tamiyacup rules:
xceed front hard
xceed rear soft

this is a very good combo and also not expensive (rc-mushroom sell them)

if u need tamiya tires:
hbr medium front
hbr soft rear

also if you have oversteering try to run the rear a bit lower then the front

regards
-harry
djaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #1631
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 81
Default

Hi all, I need a RH diff joint for F103.
Can someone tell me if part number MG5 is the same as part number 50507?

I need MG5, but been offered part number 50507, is this the same thing?

Thanks
FST4RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #1632
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stockport, UK
Posts: 982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FST4RD View Post
Hi all, I need a RH diff joint for F103.
Can someone tell me if part number MG5 is the same as part number 50507?

I need MG5, but been offered part number 50507, is this the same thing?

Thanks
MG5 isn't a part number, it's just the reference number in the manual so you can look up the part in the parts diagrams in the back of the manual. As you are referring to MG5 I assume you have the manual, in which case you will see the actual part number in small numbers below the MG5 which depending on the model could be the standard 50507 or lightweight 53248.

If you need to find out what any part is, just search for the part number on Tamiyausa.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #1633
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: w'lands s'pore
Posts: 703
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to ses414
Default

Hi guys, i've been running my F103 for about 10yrs, had the F103RS,LM,GT and Group C. Recently i just bought some pro10 tires for my pan car and i wonder is it possible to use the pro10 tires on F103? the pro10 tires seems to have better grip compare to my f103 zen tires.

Thanks!!
ses414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #1634
Tech Adept
 
kedal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nice, France
Posts: 156
Default

Hi guys,

Last sunday I won a F1 race on my local club track.

The car was just perfect, I was the only one in F103, the rest was F104Pro and F109.

My setup for this small and technical asphalt track, low grip :

Rear tire : Pit Shimizu R1 Soft
Front tire : Pit Shimizu F3 medium

Soft tamiya front spring (silver)
TRF damper, 400 tam, blue spring
500 000 oil on the friction plate
Soft T bar

Xerun 120A (punch 1, no boost, timing 22)
Hobbywing 13.5
93/27

Thats pretty all, no more hop up (only the TRF damper and the alu steering turnbuckle)
The car was really easy to drive and very efficient !
__________________
TRF201 - Tekin RS Pro - PRT HS 10.5T
F103 - Hobbywing 1S - Hobbywing 13.5T
rctouch.over-blog.com
kedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #1635
Tech Regular
 
TonyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 272
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I'm looking to get this kit:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVFT&P=7

I would like to start racing on carpet. Are there any must have hopups or can I run this car straight out of the box with my own electronics.
__________________
A large part of their history is made up of blood and battle. This is not something to shrink away from as a fancier of the breed. Their history should be embraced, understood, and once we have a full understanding, we can control the future.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Tamiya F103 mild seven Australia For Sale/Trade 4 08-19-2008 11:19 PM
Tamiya F103 GT izzyracer R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 03-01-2007 03:51 PM
Tamiya F103 NIB Jspecrcr R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 11-07-2006 01:30 PM
WTB: Tamiya buggy & Tamiya f103 stuff rays_tt Australia Wanted to Buy 2 04-20-2006 06:10 AM
Tamiya F103 or F103 Parts MM-F1 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 04-24-2004 03:14 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:04 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net