Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Active Hobby's New Mini Announced - A210SS >

Active Hobby's New Mini Announced - A210SS

Active Hobby's New Mini Announced - A210SS

Old 11-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Wow looks good. I hope this is a real mini not like the xray and yokomo.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wait... 1/12th scale AWD, with a 540 can, and a 6 cell or 2S battery?!!! Hehe, watch for more high speed passes on youtube!!!

Last edited by Blind Skwerl; 11-30-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I must admit I dont quite get all the fuss over this car. Sure its cool to have another mini in the ranks, but the design isnt anything earth-shattering and in a lot of ways the Xpress Mini from HK is pretty similar.

And the whole 4WD Mini thing intrigues me, there have been heaps over the years (I should know, I've got most of them!) and they've never really taken off...

Last edited by tony gray; 08-18-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Ain't no 'Mini' like a FWD drive Mini! The F is for Front.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tony gray
I must admit I dont quite get all the fuss over this car. Sure its cool to have another mini in the ranks, but the design isnt anything earth-shattering and in a lot of ways the Xpress Mini from HK is pretty similar.

And the whole 4WD Mini thing intrigues me, there have been heaps over the years (I should know, I've got most of them!) and they've never really taken off...
The nice thing about the New Active car is the front shock mounts that are lower than most of the other guys. This opens up the nice bodies that were around for the M01.
Also the most popular M chassis car here in Japan is the ABC Genetic. When there are racers for M chaissis cars that are not just Tamiya the Genetic is even with the M03. To say these cars havent taken off is very narrow minded. With Silver cans the M03 has a hard time keeping up with the ABC, If the motors get in the 24T turn range thats when the ABC and 4WD car like it start to take over. And these 4WD style car can handle Brushless if you want it to,no melted gears.
The 4WD drive style car can keep up with touring cars even with the 55 size tires.
The M03 is great but by the time you get but the limited options you might want go ahead and buy a 4WD car.

The cars that i dont like are the Tech DDM and Kawada M300 GT. The Tech is way over priced for what you get,and the Kawada is just a 1/12th car with a 1/12th Lexus body on it.Better price for the Kawada but it dosent have any Mini Spirit.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

No..its not really narrow-minded at all..its a fact, plain and simple. These cars get released, stay on the market for a while, then get discontinued because people aren't buying them. Its happened to all of them. Yokomo, Corally, X Ray and all the rest as well. People get all excited when a new one is released, but they rarely actually put their money down for one (apart from me..)

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the 4WD Minis, don't get me wrong, but the fact is they haven't been a sales success apart from to a limited extent in Japan.

I buy them as curiosities only. They're fun to drive, and they can of course take much more power than an M03 ever will. But in the end they become boring because of that. They just become yet another 4WD Touring Car, just slightly smaller than normal, and where's the fun in that?

And THAT is the whole appeal of the FWD cars, they're different! Which is why 10 years after they first came out, the FWD Minis are STILL selling, even stronger than ever....

But I still have a few of the 4WD cars too.....

Last edited by tony gray; 08-18-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Adept

interesting to say the least
Old 12-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

No..its not really narrow-minded at all..its a fact, plain and simple. These cars get released, stay on the market for a while, then get discontinued because people aren't buying them. Its happened to all of them. Yokomo, Corally, X Ray and all the rest as well. People get all excited when a new one is released, but they rarely actually put their money down for one (apart from me..)

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the 4WD Minis, don't get me wrong, but the fact is they haven't been a sales success apart from to a limited extent in Japan.

I buy them as curiosities only. They're fun to drive, and they can of course take much more power than an M03 ever will. But in the end they become boring because of that. They just become yet another 4WD Touring Car, just slightly smaller than normal, and where's the fun in that?

And THAT is the whole appeal of the FWD cars, they're different! Which is why 10 years after they first came out, the FWD Minis are STILL selling, even stronger than ever....

As Tony said, the Tamiya Mini owes its longevity to the front drive layout. It's something different and also its tons of fun to drive.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Corally Assassin Still on the market
Yokomo MR-4TC Still on the market
Active Hobbies this is thier second car
ABC Genetic is the Third M chassis from ABC
Road Runner back from a dead company
HPI RS4 pro Mini still on the market

All of these cars are still for sale form the manufactures,to say that these cars have come and gone is really not true. Out of the 6 listed the ABC and Active cars have evolved.
Also its not just Japan as there are big Mini scenes in England Italy,Germany,France. pretty much anywhere. All of these cars make it around the world.
The Tamiya M03 is a Tamiya,reason number 1 why the car is still around. Tamiya still makes the TA-01 chassis, this chassis has never been out of production.
Nothing wrong with the M03 but to say its something different is just silly as it is the most popular M chassis car out there. These 4WD chassis cars let you do something different instead of just another M03. Most of them are 4WD as it just makes sence to make it 4WD if you are tooling up anyway.

The Active chassis looks to be a well thought out chassis,uses the correct size tires IMHO. and frees up the body options. So with the options that you can have with the Active chassis for bodies is wide open. Stock with a carbon chassis scares my wallet a bit though.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
Corally Assassin Still on the market
Yokomo MR-4TC Still on the market
Active Hobbies this is thier second car
ABC Genetic is the Third M chassis from ABC
Road Runner back from a dead company
HPI RS4 pro Mini still on the market

All of these cars are still for sale form the manufactures,to say that these cars have come and gone is really not true. Out of the 6 listed the ABC and Active cars have evolved.
Also its not just Japan as there are big Mini scenes in England Italy,Germany,France. pretty much anywhere. All of these cars make it around the world.
The Tamiya M03 is a Tamiya,reason number 1 why the car is still around. Tamiya still makes the TA-01 chassis, this chassis has never been out of production.
Nothing wrong with the M03 but to say its something different is just silly as it is the most popular M chassis car out there. These 4WD chassis cars let you do something different instead of just another M03. Most of them are 4WD as it just makes sence to make it 4WD if you are tooling up anyway.

The Active chassis looks to be a well thought out chassis,uses the correct size tires IMHO. and frees up the body options. So with the options that you can have with the Active chassis for bodies is wide open. Stock with a carbon chassis scares my wallet a bit though.
Oh well, this is 2nd from Active, i didn't know, Mini too?
About ABC i have also no idea?
But i didn't see Yokomo and HPI remain in the market.
Roadrunner become Xpress long time ago then they are rejoining in the market and making a big deal with these renewed "old" chassis, are sponsoring a lot of pilots to make wide promotion.
As i know those guys are designing a new TC which are derived from this Mini.
You see more from here: http://www.rc-xpress.com/catalog/
I think these Mini are becoming popular time by time.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Just what carpet racing needs... MORE classes.