R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Novak vs LRP vs Orion brushless (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/179668-novak-vs-lrp-vs-orion-brushless.html)

chumanji 09-02-2007 02:25 PM

Novak vs LRP vs Orion brushless

In the market for another brushless 6.5r. I currently have the novak and I am very interested in knowing the characteristics of the other motors. which would be a better choice for parking lot racing?

Jochim_18 09-02-2007 04:08 PM

I prefer novak over Orion. Orion motor seems to be lucking in torque but with lots of RPM. One of my friend is running orion brushless I can easily beat him on the infield but with same amount of speed on straight line. But then again I've only been using novak brushless motor. And so far I'm having a goodluck with it and winning races so I will continue to run novak.

I have a orion 10.5 on thw way though so let see how I will like it.

bxpitbull 09-02-2007 05:59 PM

According to Marcos J. Orion gets the edge over Novak when it comes to top end speed and keeping lower temps. Having used Novak and LRP, the motors seem similar in rpm's but Novak definately has more torque.

syndr0me 09-02-2007 07:17 PM

There appears to be another manufacturer in the mix. This motor used by Hara (branded Checkpoint) doesn't seem to be of Novak/LRP/Feiago origin.

http://www.much-more.co.jp/imgs/2007...-1%20940-L.jpg

I believe the ESC is Quark.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's sensorless.

VooDooPH 09-02-2007 07:21 PM

i'm partial to the orion... they seem to run much cooler compared to novak or lrp.

ROBORAT 09-02-2007 07:28 PM

i have the same observation, i run both LRP and Novak motors and have tried some friends' orion motors and they seem softer in terms of torque. the LRP and Novak motors really seem to have a lot of rip. :nod: down the straight they all equal out more or less with the proper gearing. one thing though, the orion motors do run cooler. i would assume thats basically because of the vented can design it has and the internal fins/fans. so really depends what you're after in a motor. i myself will probably try out an orion as well.

syndrome: isnt the quark basically where the much more BL esc is also based on? i remember seeing some pics somewhere here in rctech on the much more proto. i guess since that pic of hara's car was taken at the KMRCA in Korea, much more may have wanted him to run that for that particular race.... interesting "checkpoint" motor though ... :)

ROBORAT 09-02-2007 07:30 PM

voodoo: looks like we posted at almost the same time ... :D

bxpitbull 09-02-2007 07:31 PM

Just checked Checkpoint's website, Marc and Atsushi ran the same prototype motor and Marc's motor has a sensor attached. Atsushi's motor doesnt have vent holes like Marc's either...weird. Could it be that Checkpoint is testing two different type of motors to see where they are going in the brushless market???

UN4RACING 09-02-2007 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by VooDooPH (Post 3636475)
i'm partial to the orion... they seem to run much cooler compared to novak or lrp.

Originally Posted by ROBORAT (Post 3636492)
i have the same observation, i run both LRP and Novak motors and have tried some friends' orion motors and they seem softer in terms of torque. the LRP and Novak motors really seem to have a lot of rip. :nod: down the straight they all equal out more or less with the proper gearing. one thing though, the orion motors do run cooler. i would assume thats basically because of the vented can design it has and the internal fins/fans. so really depends what you're after in a motor. i myself will probably try out an orion as well.

syndrome: isnt the quark basically where the much more BL esc is also based on? i remember seeing some pics somewhere here in rctech on the much more proto. i guess since that pic of hara's car was taken at the KMRCA in Korea, much more may have wanted him to run that for that particular race.... interesting "checkpoint" motor though ... :)

What about efficiency.?
Are the batteries draining any more or less.?
I have ran LRP with the NEO motors and it ran pretty cool, compared to the Novak the efficiency went to Novak.
The temps were terrible running Novak motors on the LRP Sphere ESC.
Yet the LRP with the NEO-3 was good. It ran cool.
My batteries,(lipos) when running the LRP vs. the GTB the LRP consistently drained the battery 10-15 mah's more per run. What did you guys encounter.?

bxpitbull 09-02-2007 08:21 PM

UN, I started with Novak ESC going back to my Cyclone and super rooster days. When I went brushless, I bought an LRP Sphere. Was the absolute worst decision I have ever made in R/C....well, other than the TC3 but thats another story. It was inconsistant with run times and while the throttle settings were a bit easier to sort through, I found the punch and efficiency a bit....weak. Bought the GTB and never looked back. Again, my experiences so flamers, save your breath.:lol:

ROBORAT 09-02-2007 08:23 PM

UN4RACING: i generally run 4.5s and Orion/Peak Platinum Packs. After a 5 minute run i consume about 2000-2500 mah of juice from my packs. When i run 3.5s, they get close to 3000mah. Reason for the range is essentially dependent on how aggressive is set my gearing and esc profile (i use an LRP TC Spec). voodoo will have to pitch in for his experience on efficiency for the Orion 4.5 .... i'm sure though they should be in just about the same range. the numbers quoted above are while running in a large EP asphalt track (23-25 lapper track depending on layout) with a gear range of 8.2-8.8 fdr for a 4.5 and 10.5-11.0 fdr for a 3.5.

have not seen efficiency as an issue with 4.5 and even 3.5 BL motors from LRP and Novak though as they dont ever come close draining out 4800 lipos. so as long as they are within the ranges i mentioned above, im happy. :D

BlackedOutREVO 09-02-2007 08:29 PM

I am also in the game

I need a 10.5

Im 95% shure I will get the Orion, Seems to be the most used for 5cell

syndr0me 09-02-2007 08:42 PM

Supposedly that motor in Hara's car is made by Sagami of Japan. Ryan Lee (of Much More) said it's got a "balanced armature." Presumably he's talking about the rotor. I don't know who makes that sensored motor Marc was running with the square vent holes, but it didn't look like a Feiago, which is basically where all the OEM sensored motors have been coming from.

I should have Orion's 13.5 next week, so I'll give it a go. I've been using LRP's lately, and really like the feel, it seems smoother than the Novak. I imagine Novak's motor will feel similar with the 13mm rotor, but haven't tried it yet. Now that I'm spoiled by a removable harness on the LRP, I don't really want to go back to the ugly old Novak and its rainbow of flavors. :-)

UN4RACING 09-02-2007 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by ROBORAT (Post 3636627)
UN4RACING: i generally run 4.5s and Orion/Peak Platinum Packs. After a 5 minute run i consume about 2000-2500 mah of juice from my packs. When i run 3.5s, they get close to 3000mah. Reason for the range is essentially dependent on how aggressive is set my gearing and esc profile (i use an LRP TC Spec). voodoo will have to pitch in for his experience on efficiency for the Orion 4.5 .... i'm sure though they should be in just about the same range. the numbers quoted above are while running in a large EP asphalt track (23-25 lapper track depending on layout) with a gear range of 8.2-8.8 fdr for a 4.5 and 10.5-11.0 fdr for a 3.5.

have not seen efficiency as an issue with 4.5 and even 3.5 BL motors from LRP and Novak though as they dont ever come close draining out 4800 lipos. so as long as they are within the ranges i mentioned above, im happy. :D

Some think the drain is because the esc is putting more power to the motor and some think the drain is from heat.
My experience is like Bx's.
You point out some thing critical to the equation. Each race is a little different. I always checked laps very closely and the range was 10 to 15 mah's different. With the Novak being more efficient.
Efficiency is only an issue with sub-c packs. Unless its a heat issue.?
My testing was done with the same motor. 4300's bonded and sintered. I had 4 of them to play with.
The Novak GTB is still with us today, the LRP is no longer with us. It died when it smoked a 4300 and thats how I found out there was no thermal protection running Novak on a LRP. It hit over 250 degrees and poof. When the brushless boom hit I put some of these threw some serious tests to see what they could handle. Costed 4 motors and we dissected one to.:D It was fun.

UN4RACING 09-02-2007 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by syndr0me (Post 3636676)
Supposedly that motor in Hara's car is made by Sagami of Japan. Ryan Lee (of Much More) said it's got a "balanced armature." Presumably he's talking about the rotor. I don't know who makes that sensored motor Marc was running with the square vent holes, but it didn't look like a Feiago, which is basically where all the OEM sensored motors have been coming from.

I should have Orion's 13.5 next week, so I'll give it a go. I've been using LRP's lately, and really like the feel, it seems smoother than the Novak. I imagine Novak's motor will feel similar with the 13mm rotor, but haven't tried it yet. Now that I'm spoiled by a removable harness on the LRP, I don't really want to go back to the ugly old Novak and its rainbow of flavors. :-)

Traitor.:D getting away from Novak.? I had a removable harness come off in a tie up in practice one night. Running the neo motor. Ya learn to tie wrap them good. I think the hardwire is more efficient, less connections, and wont come unplugged. I guess thats a little micro picky though.:D
Are you running that on a GTB.?