Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Limited Edition M8

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 11:09 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Default Limited Edition M8

Anybody know when Airtronics/Sanwa will ship the Limited Edition M8 transmitter in the US? I've had mine on order for awhile now... still waiting!

For those that haven't seen it, it's a sweet radio, basically the same as the M8 but with some minor coolness-factor features such as a blue backlit display. I was going to upgrade from a 3PS to a M8 anyway, so waiting for the LE was a no-brainer...
Old 09-28-2001, 11:31 PM
Tech Master

Futureal,

Are you one of those "Everything Limited Edition" kinda guy? I know I am one!... lol.... AS long as something has a limited edition tag on it and it's RC related... I always try to save up the money to buy it, even though it might cost a bit more than the regular ones.
Old 09-29-2001, 12:51 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Haha... no, I'm not really into "limited edition" stuff just for the sake of being into it. In fact, I don't own a single (to my knowledge) limited edition R/C item at all.

So the M8, if it shows up, will be my first...
Old 09-29-2001, 01:04 AM
Tech Master

then, don't get it.. it's addictive!!!! lol~

But it is really addictive. the words "limited edition" always make you feel speical since you know not many people have it.

I started my collection of limited edition items by buying Tamiya's mini4WD and ever since that when I saw stuff with limited edition word print on the box, I always want it.
Old 09-29-2001, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

is there any way to retrofit back lighting on a radio's LCD? will the backlight used on cellphone lcd's work? it would be cool to have a 3pj or any other radio with lcd to have a backlight, just like the M8 LE.
Old 09-29-2001, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

marvi- I wouldn't try it. You don't really need a backlit display anyway, and it has to sap some power, the M8 already eats batteries.

But shane, you will love the M8, it is awesome! I tried a Lynx 3D, and I thought my M8 was much better. It just feels so balanced, and has twice as many features as you need!

I heard they are also testing a prototype M8 where they rotate the battery tray 180 degrees, so it runs beneath your arm, then it straps on to your arm. It is supposed to help in long gas mains

Josh
Old 09-29-2001, 10:35 PM
Tech Master

I really don't see the point of having a backlight for a charger or transmitter. I believe that no one actually race in some complete darkness right? And nowadays most tracks have lights anyway.... so what's the point?
Old 09-29-2001, 10:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Speedo
marvi- I wouldn't try it. You don't really need a backlit display anyway, and it has to sap some power, the M8 already eats batteries.

But shane, you will love the M8, it is awesome! I tried a Lynx 3D, and I thought my M8 was much better. It just feels so balanced, and has twice as many features as you need!

I heard they are also testing a prototype M8 where they rotate the battery tray 180 degrees, so it runs beneath your arm, then it straps on to your arm. It is supposed to help in long gas mains

Josh
sounds interesting for the 180 degrees rotation battery.

agree that we dont really need backlit display
Old 09-30-2001, 12:00 AM
R/C Tech Founder

I can see the merits of the backlit display. Specifically, under any conditions where glare from the sun or indoor lights would make reading the LCD difficult. Still, I believe it is a feature you can toggle on or off if battery life is a concern.

I haven't had any battery problems since I started using the 1600 mAH NiMH batteries that you can buy in just about any retail store. Both Rayovac and Energizer make them, maybe other companies too.

And as for the M8 LE, like I said, I was ordering one anyway, so I figured I might as well get the "latest and greatest" one out there. A lot of people around here trash Airtronics transmitters, but I have to argue: take a look at the equipment of some of the top drivers, and you'll see that tons of them use M8s (and 3PSs before that). Kinwald, for example...

I kind have to stick with an Airtronics radio since all of my crystals are airtronics and all of my receivers are Airtronics 75 MHz ones. I don't much feel like buying 3 or 4 new receivers for all of my cars...
Old 09-30-2001, 12:50 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by TRF-Powered
I really don't see the point of having a backlight for a charger or transmitter. I believe that no one actually race in some complete darkness right? And nowadays most tracks have lights anyway.... so what's the point?
Backlights for chargers don't cost anymore on power consumption so why not! As for transimitters.... I normally run on a track between from 7pm to 2am...... it can get pretty dark on the drivers stand with all the floodlights pointing at the track!

It is possible to get a backlight conversion for the 3PJS and Mars EX1. You can still get someone to do the conversion for you over here in Hong Kong!!!
Old 09-30-2001, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

I was thinking about upgrading to a FM radio. And I've always used Airtronics radios. So this might be just the thing I need.
Old 09-30-2001, 06:48 AM
Tech Rookie

There is a guy in texas that will do the conversion for you, for around $50. And he gives you the choice of colors too!

"I also change the power LED (if there is one) to
match the display color. The available colors are blue, green,
white, red, yellow/green, and yellow/orange. "

Thats a chunk of the email he sent me...

his email is -

[email protected]

He also says he'll do just about anything with an LCD screen, so any other cool gear you have that you want to add a backlight too, he is your man.
Old 09-30-2001, 11:35 AM
R/C Tech Founder

That sounds like a cool conversion. Wonder if they can turn Nintendo Gameboys into backlit versions? I remember when I was a kid and had the original Gameboy, it was a huge pisser that the screen wasn't backlit. That was back in 1989 or 1990 or so, and I think they still don't have backlights on them!

Anyway, back to the M8 again, another plus for the Limited Edition is that it is sold as just a transmitter/module combo only with no extras like servos or anything. That's great for those of us that have been racing for awhile, since we already have all of our own equipment and don't need to pay for extra stuff.

(And yes I know that there are versions of the old M8 and other radios that are sold just like that as well...)
Old 09-30-2001, 11:59 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by futureal
That sounds like a cool conversion. Wonder if they can turn Nintendo Gameboys into backlit versions? I remember when I was a kid and had the original Gameboy, it was a huge pisser that the screen wasn't backlit. That was back in 1989 or 1990 or so, and I think they still don't have backlights on them!
The back light situation is no better on the latest Gameboy Advance... In fact it is worse... when the sun goes in the Gameboy goes to rest... because you can't see anything!
Old 10-07-2001, 11:09 PM
Tech Master

Limited M8 cost a ton.... 355 USD (tower)....kinda pricy.... Is it just transmitter/module only? no reciever???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.