Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
First Time racing/driving the JRX-S... >

First Time racing/driving the JRX-S...

First Time racing/driving the JRX-S...

Old 09-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

This weekend was phenominal!!!

A couple guys at the mushroom bowl helped me out yet again and my car is really close to being dialed. I just have to fine tune weight transfer w/ maybe some spring changes or ride height changes but other than that i'm suuuuuper happy w/ the car and it's performance. W/ somone else's used batteries that have been beaten to hell i'm only 2 laps off pace on my best laps and 3 laps off pace consistently.

I've changed bodies and that was 50% of the handling problem, the other 50% was the fact that the car i bought on ebay was not assembled correctly by the previous owner and after buying another jrxs that was assembled properly and comparing the 2 i've gotten everything installed where it should be. Not only that but both my front arms were cracked.

I used some very slight modifications to the numan setup sheet, and have a couple questions:

1) What are bk shock mounts?
2) on the setup sheet their doesn't seem to be a spot for front lower shock mounting hole or maybe i just missed it.

I take back my peeve about the hinge pin set screws. A remarkable thing i've discovered: If one actually tightens the set screws down properly they work ... go figure. So yes, a poor mechanic always blames his tools hahahaha.

I've also come up w/ one more peeve . The 4200 battery tray for the jrxs is metal... What braniac decided that something that holds batteries should be made out of a conductive material? I fried a pack (one vented cell) because it shorted on the tray. Now i'm scowering my basement chemical box trying to find something to coat the tray w/ that will insulate it. Either that or i'm gonna be buying a whooooole lot of cell shrink wrap. I tried nail polish but that jut flakes off.

Last note, a mosquito bit me in the middle of my forehead and i took my hand off the wheel for a second to smak it and crashed my car 5 laps into the main and broke a front carrier . I was pissed at myself, should have just let the dam bug bite me ahhahahaa.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YmeBP
1) What are bk shock mounts?
2) on the setup sheet their doesn't seem to be a spot for front lower shock mounting hole or maybe i just missed it.

I take back my peeve about the hinge pin set screws. A remarkable thing i've discovered: If one actually tightens the set screws down properly they work ... go figure. So yes, a poor mechanic always blames his tools hahahaha.

I've also come up w/ one more peeve . The 4200 battery tray for the jrxs is metal... What braniac decided that something that holds batteries should be made out of a conductive material? I fried a pack (one vented cell) because it shorted on the tray. Now i'm scowering my basement chemical box trying to find something to coat the tray w/ that will insulate it. Either that or i'm gonna be buying a whooooole lot of cell shrink wrap. I tried nail polish but that jut flakes off.
The BK mounts were brackets that Brian Kinwald made when they first came out with the car. Any new arms you buy for that car already have that position molded into them. It puts the shock mount above the arm and out a little more towards the end of the arm.

How are you building your packs that you shorted it out on the tray? You are the first person I heard ever doing this. I have the aluminum tray and never had an issue with it. If the packs are built right you have no way for any of the ends of the cells to even touch the tray at all. Did the cell cover come off exposing the metal casing underneith? Beyond that I really can't figure out how that happened to you.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Yeti35
The BK mounts were brackets that Brian Kinwald made when they first came out with the car. Any new arms you buy for that car already have that position molded into them. It puts the shock mount above the arm and out a little more towards the end of the arm.

How are you building your packs that you shorted it out on the tray? You are the first person I heard ever doing this. I have the aluminum tray and never had an issue with it. If the packs are built right you have no way for any of the ends of the cells to even touch the tray at all. Did the cell cover come off exposing the metal casing underneath? Beyond that I really can't figure out how that happened to you.

You know what now that you mention it you are right, i just put the battery in the tray and looked at it ... no way the positive can touch the tray. So .. another case of a poor mechanic and his great tools!!

I think it may just have been time for a cell to go .. freaked me out though because it was just before a qualifier and i just charged the pack!! hahah

i've ordered my spares and hopefully will have good news to report next weekend.

Thanks again for your help!/
Old 09-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

im thinking of buying this car and was wondering if there is anyway to fit orion 3200 lipos in this car??
Old 09-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by C_Suzuki
im thinking of buying this car and was wondering if there is anyway to fit orion 3200 lipos in this car??
Quick answer, NO. Battery compartment was designed for Nicd or Nimh cells, meaning the bulkheads are curved to fit the cell. Lipo will not fit without serious modification or use of just the cells with no case. If you want to run Lipo, sell that car and get a Type R which readily accepts Lipos and even includes a tray just for them.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by C_Suzuki
The orion lipo's are curved just like a regular nimh/nicad cell even have the humps at the bottom properly spaced.

Take a look at this: http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=223339

It may fit.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by YmeBP
The orion lipo's are curved just like a regular nimh/nicad cell even have the humps at the bottom properly spaced.

Take a look at this: http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=223339

It may fit.
A friend of mine already tried it, will not fit without modding the car to make it fit, not worth it at all.